What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad for video in

Mkpoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I dont know what happened to my old thread but I was curious about whether to use the iPad for a video in. I would like to hook it up to a computer and use it as the display. I know there is Air Display and a bunch of other apps, but wondering if there was a solid cable connections. Any suggestions?

and does anyone know if I can use the VGA cable connector to use the ipad as the monitor or is it the other way around?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The VGA connector is used to output from the iPad to the device, not the other way around.

PS - you must not have had an old thread because this is your first post on the forum.

iTazm0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For an alternative you could get a USB monitor. They're pretty convenient and I've read, are getting better all the time. Most are 7-10 inch LED screens, so basically netbook screens. On the plus side, hard wired connection allow for faster refresh, cons are basically having to shell out $110-250 and have another device to haul around. But they work well and don't take up much more space in you r computer bag than an iPad. I'll probably be getting one.

One Example- ThinkGeek :: Mimo Mini USB Monitor

Aside from that, I've been happily using my iPad with AirVideo for adjustment palettes when I use Aperture3. I'm amazed how well it works, but there is a decent delay with the cursor movements and when dragging items around- video is impossible (well, possible, but terrible), still... I have a secondary monitor with me all the time.

Most reactions