What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad email

Sammy67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today around 3PM I started receiving emails. Hundreds. After a closer look I see they are my deleted emails dating back for six months. I have no idea what happened. Anyone have an idea what may have happened. I know there was an iOS update today, which I downloaded after the mail attack took place. This can really eat away my data plan and will take me hours to delete them all one at a time. What can I do to prevent it from happening again?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
S

Sammy67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My apologies. I meant to post in ipad 3 forum and I was unable to delete this one once it was posted. I will be more careful where I place my questions.

OP
S

Sammy67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Centurylink email with a pop3 server

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
POP3 does not normally store emails on the server after they are downloaded, however the iPad's default settings leaves emails on the server, and simply marks them read. I'm not sure what the trigger is, but Mail can forget what emails it has read, and download them all again.

This is a compromise settings so that you can use the same account on more than one device or computer. One of those devices should be set to delete emails after they have been downloaded, so they don't accumulate on the server. If all you ever use for the email is the iPad, you can set it to delete emails in the Advanced part of that account's settings. I can't tell you exactly where, because I don't currently have a POP3 account to look at.

You should double check your Centurylink support pages to see if they offer an IMAP setup instead.

At the very least there should be a webmail site you can go to and permanently delete your older emails. Then delete and re-add your account on the iPad; starting it over with a clean slate.

I always recommend getting at least one email account that is not dependent on your ISP (Internet Service Provider), for a several reasons.

1) For some stupid reason most ISP's still use POP3, which is a lot more trouble to manage on more than one computer or mobile device.

2) Sometimes have to change ISP, and it's a pain to have to change your email account and tell everyone about it.

3) Most third party email accounts (Yahoo, GMail, Hotmail, iCloud) are IMAP, or at least Exchange accounts. These accounts are far more flexible, allowing the creation and management of folders that stay synced on all devices and computers.

Last edited:

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for IMAP. This is the ONLY way to have enjoy email. I use www.fastmail.com which cost $19 per year which seems lame but they offer fantastic service and features that I've grown to love. Having a service with not only super robust SPAM blocking, but also the option for "rules" to allow the user to easily setup blocking for stuff that leaks through, or evil friends that you never want to hear from, is very nice.

Everyone should also have a spare gmail/yahoo free type email account to use with online forms & sites where you are just not sure about giving up your more precious identity.

Most reactions

Latest posts