What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Data Usage incorrect

Did your account usage from ATT match your iPads usage info?

• YES

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I just checked my Data Usage in the ipad settings and it shows over 4 gigs of usage, I thought it would be more usage than that since the podcasts i watch and stream are huge.

I look in the settings to try and get usage stats from att in cellular data section but it doesnt show anything.

I then took the ipads phone number thats listed in my accunt under settings and tried registering on the att website to get account info. That didnt work either.

I call att on the phone and go to tech support. The have me verify the account and then I ask the guy how im supposed to look up data usage for my account.

He said that currently there is no possable way for me to look up that info if I have the unlimited prepaid data plan. He did however say that he could look up that info for me. He looked at my account usage and said that I have used a total of 16gigs worth of data on my iPad. Thats WAY more that the 4gigs my iPad was listing under usage.

Can I get some other users with 3G iPads and the Unlimited data plan check this out. Look at your iPads usage and then call ATT(1-800-331-0500) and ask what your usage is. Ask them why they dont allow you to see your accounts usage info on the iPads account summery page. Suggest that they put in a request to show this info to you without having to call them. Maybe if they get enough people asking they will fix it.

Then come back here and let us know. Was it just my iPad or did your data usage not match the iPads usage info as well?

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How on earth do you use 16GB of data during a billing cycle??? That doesn't sound accurate at all. Maybe that number quoted is your total data used on your account?

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
How on earth do you use 16GB of data during a billing cycle??? That doesn't sound accurate at all. Maybe that number quoted is your total data used on your account?

I just signed up for the 3G on the ipad 15 days ago so this is the first billing cycle for the account.

I just calculated it and it looks about right. 45 Video podcasts for the Security Now podcast and they are about 320MB per episode. It adds up quick. Each night I add a few episodes to download for the following day while the ipad charges over night.

If you do the math its only like 3 episodes per night.

But really isnt that really what this device is for, content consumption 3 episodes per day sounds resonable to me and I am paying for "Unlimited" internet usage. 2Gigs per month would be a joke. If I were to switch to the new data plan my monthly bill would get close to $300 with data overages($10/gig over 2gigs)

Last edited:

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not everyone has the luxury of wifi at home. I don't have access to any broadband where I live, so wifi for me, would be dialup speed. Even having only Edge on my iPad, it's still 5 times faster than dialup, so I too use many Gigs, though not near as much as the above poster. I won't be letting go of my unlimited til I'm forced into it! :)

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not everyone has the luxury of wifi at home. I don't have access to any broadband where I live, so wifi for me, would be dialup speed. Even having only Edge on my iPad, it's still 5 times faster than dialup, so I too use many Gigs, though not near as much as the above poster. I won't be letting go of my unlimited til I'm forced into it! :)

I always find it funny how people buy devices and use them in places that are still living in the dark ages! Good luck with that.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works out quite well actually, as about ten hours of use daily will attest to :) Just because I'd rather live where I can leave my door unlocked and keys in the car, doesn't mean I don't love new gadgets as much as anyone else.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I always find it funny how people buy devices and use them in places that are still living in the dark ages! Good luck with that.

I don't have WiFi at home. I keep it out for your amusement. Sorry to inform you that we did just get that newfangled 'lecktrik in last week.

Most reactions

Latest posts