What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad cracked screen prepare to pay $400

Tomf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Associate Store Manager at NYC 5th ave store offered arrogant defense of apple policy not to.fix cracked screens. I have a two.month old ipad and never knew screen.damage was fatal to.the.product. While they had.it.behind the.Genius Bar.they.erased the.memory.too! All my.photos are lost.

took it to another non apple shop who.charge 200 for.screen repair and hoping.for.best. I.see lots of people had better experiences before . RIP Steve.Jobs. The new Apple only wants your.money.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple or any other company will replace something I broke at deep discount, I'll appreciate it.

What other companies are doing that much? Because I'll buy from them, too, if they sell stuff I want.

AFAngryWarrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.verizonwireless.com
I agree.. No store replaces broken tech for free. You should either take what comes or be prepared to pay. I personally have my iPad insured through the Worth Ave Group iPad insurance program. That way if I do brake mine I pay a $50 deductible not $400 to replace a screen...

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
I don't understand... If I do crack my iPad's screen - should I demand Apple to give me a new one for free? Or that they should repair it for a small fee? Is this what you would like/demand?
I fully agree that one should have an insurance (or whatever) to pay such damage, but everyone should have it himself. I mean, I also do not buy a new car, crash it against a tree and demand from the maker to replace it/ repair it almost for free, right?
So I also do not get the point of the guys in the oth thread who get angry aboutnot getting a free replacement after (dumbly) dropiing their precious item...

Dbradd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UK replacement cost of £200 + VAT quoted by Apple for cracked I-Pad screen (they would replace the whole unit for a new one).Told me they don't make any money from this service - can't believe that for a minute. Why no offer to repair- have to now go to an independent at £80 and lose the warranty. Someone needs to challenge Apple's right to invalidate warranties if independent repairs are carried out. When this happened in the car servicing sector the franchised garages suddenly were able to drop thier prices by over 50%.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd guess that the difference is that if Apple takes care of your prob, they're essentially agreeing to more than fixing your screen, because a drop can damage more than the glass. If they replace your device, you don't have to worry about that. An outside shop is fixing your screen only, and then you're on your own.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think part of the frustration here is that there are plenty of stories(even a whole thread here)about people getting free screen replacements at various stores. I get that Apple is NOT required to do this or expected to but that doesn't lessen the blow when it appears to be totally random as to who gets a free screen and who does not. I agree that Apple shouldn't have to fix something that the user broke, like the car repair analogy someone used.

They should just come up with a policy and stick with it. I personally don't like random policies like this. As Yoda says: "do or do not, there is no try".

;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think part of the frustration here is that there are plenty of stories(even a whole thread here)about people getting free screen replacements at various stores. I get that Apple is NOT required to do this or expected to but that doesn't lessen the blow when it appears to be totally random as to who gets a free screen and who does not. I agree that Apple shouldn't have to fix something that the user broke, like the car repair analogy someone used.

They should just come up with a policy and stick with it. I personally don't like random policies like this. As Yoda says: "do or do not, there is no try".

;)

Lots of perks are random or subjective. If only some airline passengers or hotel guests get upgrades, for instance, I don't start boycotting an airline or hotel chain. Companies have limited resources and will use them as they see fit. Their goal is to satisfy as many customers as possible, at reasonable cost and profit. No company aims to satisfy every customer, because that's not possible. Heck, would you want to try that at your job or company?

Any adult who expects life to be fair is in for lots of unhappiness beyond a gadget or two from Apple.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of perks are random or subjective. If only some airline passengers or hotel guests get upgrades, for instance, I don't start boycotting an airline or hotel chain. Companies have limited resources and will use them as they see fit. Their goal is to satisfy as many customers as possible, at reasonable cost and profit. No company aims to satisfy every customer, because that's not possible. Heck, would you want to try that at your job or company?

Any adult who expects life to be fair is in for lots of unhappiness beyond a gadget or two from Apple.

I agree with KayKayKay. It is true that "lots of perks are random or subjective." Not to get off topic, however,in my profession, or any field for that matter--we follow the "manage by exception" rule and deal with each situation separately. Everything is not always black and white, even with policies and procedures in place. There is some "gray" where I come from, particularly when dealing with customer satisfaction metrics. Not everybody will feel that they received a satisfying result, but many may and will.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with KayKayKay. It is true that "lots of perks are random or subjective." Not to get off topic, however,in my profession, or any field for that matter--we follow the "manage by exception" rule and deal with each situation separately. Everything is not always black and white, even with policies and procedures in place. There is some "gray" where I come from, particularly when dealing with customer satisfaction metrics. Not everybody will feel that they received a satisfying result, but many may and will.

That's funny. Someone I manage was pushing for a rule on something. My answer was essentially: Our work is complex. That's why we don't have a rule. We pay you to use your judgment. If it turns out your judgment isn't sound, then we made a mistake hiring you, lol.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kaykaykay said:
if apple or any other company will replace something i broke at deep discount, i'll appreciate it.

What other companies are doing that much? Because i'll buy from them, too, if they sell stuff i want.

amen!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts