What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad mini has a hairline crack now

krishnanpc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

My iPad mini has a hairline crack now, and it is 4 months old. I rang the apple store over the phone and they said it would cost Rs.14500 for a replacement.

I was skimming through Apple VMI guide , and it says the following.

Screen and Glass Inspection
Apple’s policy is to replace products showing defects that are not the result of obvious external
cause.
Visually inspect for crack(s) on screen or glass, and follow these guidelines:
• A product exhibiting a single hairline crack without visible damage to the enclosure is
eligible for covered (warranty or APP) repair service.
• A product exhibiting multiple cracks or a single crack with visible damage to the enclosure
is eligible for OOW paid repair service.
Single hairline cracks with no enclosure damage:

So I was wondering if my hairline crack qualifies for a replacement? IMG_20131113_115657.jpgIMG_20131113_115753.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your iPad mini has two cracks that originate at the edge of the screen where your finger is. Two cracks with a common origin point are almost certainly the result if an impact, which would make it ineligible for warranty service.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure why you are asking us. This is a decision that should be made my visual inspection by an Apple employee empowered to make such a decision. In other words, it is best to take it in and show it to them...unless you know for a fact that there is evidence on an impact...in that case you would be wasting your time to take it in.

OP
K

krishnanpc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I will have to take them to the apple store. I ll do that this Saturday.

Are these cracks likely to worsen? ie; spread over to diff parts of screen?
Is it safe to ride by until I run out my warranty? (So that I can use a 3rd party and get it fixed at a much cheaper rate)

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They could very well worsen...I could consider putting a screen protector on so if some glass starts coming off, the shards would not get all over me and my other things. No telling what can go wrong with a cracked screen. Good luck.

OP
K

krishnanpc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I visited the store and handed the device to them. They said they needed to give it in for inspection and let me know by Wednesday. I will keep you guys posted!
Fingers crossed.
(Too bad I did not backup my iPad though not something I would regret if I end up with a replacement!)

OP
K

krishnanpc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Today morning I received a call from the Apple store and guess what!
It said that my replacement has arrived! The apple guy also mentioned that I d get a new one free of cost!
IMG_20131122_200613.jpgIMG_20131122_200642.jpg

As a sign of goodwill, I also bought a new case from their shop. At least it should remind me to be more careful while using it.
Also it came with a downgrade in the os with iOS 7 (I hate the flat design and nauseating zoom animations ) not that I would complain ;) ;) ;)

Thank you all for replying!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Today morning I received a call from the Apple store and guess what!
It said that my replacement has arrived! The apple guy also mentioned that I d get a new one free of cost!
View attachment 50421View attachment 50422

As a sign of goodwill, I also bought a new case from their shop. At least it should remind me to be more careful while using it.
Also it came with a downgrade in the os with iOS 7 (I hate the flat design and nauseating zoom animations ) not that I would complain ;) ;) ;)

Thank you all for replying!

I always love hearing outcomes like this!! So glad this all worked out for you! Enjoy! :)

Bmolina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How did the crack happen and did they replace it at the store or did u send it in

Bmolina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine fell over on the table and now has hairline crack but there is no impact point that I can see

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 406

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How did the crack happen and did they replace it at the store or did u send it in
As the OP said, he took it in to an Apple Store and the replacement was done there. He never said how the cracks occurred and since he hasn't been back we'll likely never know.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine fell over on the table and now has hairline crack but there is no impact point that I can see
Unless you have AppleCare+ for your iPad there is no coverage for broken screens in most cases. All we can recommend is to take it to an Apple Store and see what they say.

Most reactions

Latest posts