What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Clay Scam Rears its Head on Vancouver Island

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
6277-albums265-picture9548.JPG

With such a desirable, yet costly, item as the iPad, it tends to be a bit of a target for scammers who want to get themselves one for free using dishonest methods, some of which can be incredibly elaborate. The Vancouver Sun has a story of one such scam that has reared its ugly head on Vancouver Island. According to the news report, person or persons unknown on Vancouver Island have been buying iPads at one of the major electrical goods retailers in the region, such as Best Buy or Future Shop, and then returning the “iPad†unopened to the store for a full refund. The “iPad†is then put back on the shelves for resale by unsuspecting store employees. A simple transaction, you might think. Unfortunately, no, as it is in fact not an iPad that has been returned to the store, but a lump of clay that has been placed inside the sealed box to make it feel like an iPad, before the box is then resealed expertly to make it look as if it has never been opened. Apparently the scam is not being detected until another customer buys the box that has been put back out on the store’s shelves, and then opens it when they get home to reveal a lump of clay. Store workers and customers have now been warned about the scam by local police, in an effort to make everyone more vigilant, and Best Buy Canada even issued a press release on the matter, with the following quote:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“Best Buy Canada takes fraud seriously and has launched a comprehensive investigation in cooperation with Apple and other retailers who have reported similar incidents.â€[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Would be interesting to know if this scam is confined to Canada or if it has also occurred elsewhere? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source: Vancouver Island police warn of iPad clay scam[/FONT]

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The retailer need to check the contents of the box before any trade or refund is given. T do not feel sorry for these retailers.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The retailer need to check the contents of the box before any trade or refund is given. T do not feel sorry for these retailers.

Companies don’t want to open the box and have to resell the ipad cheaper for no reason. If it was you that owned the store you would probably want it resold unopened.

butterfly68za

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ncaissie said:
Companies don’t want to open the box and have to resell the ipad cheaper for no reason. If it was you that owned the store you would probably want it resold unopened.

When I went to purchase mine, I ensured I got a sealed box, I didn't want an opened, maybe used iPad. When I got to the vehicle, I broke the seal and opened up my box with delight to find what I had saved up for. Thinking back, with this day and age, one should open up the box in the store, in front of the staff, so that inspection can take place and remedied immediately for any discrepancies before leaving the shop. To think of scams like this, I could have been sold an empty box.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I went to purchase mine, I ensured I got a sealed box, I didn't want an opened, maybe used iPad. When I got to the vehicle, I broke the seal and opened up my box with delight to find what I had saved up for. Thinking back, with this day and age, one should open up the box in the store, in front of the staff, so that inspection can take place and remedied immediately for any discrepancies before leaving the shop. To think of scams like this, I could have been sold an empty box.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Same here.
They usually do this in the Apple store. They did for mine anyway. My wife’s was a X-mas gift so I didn't want them to. But now even if it's a gift I will get them to open it to be sure.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ncaissie said:

When you bring am item back the cellophane has to be removed. So the iPad will still have to be sold at a cheaper price already.

Most reactions

Latest posts