What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad cables

trugrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi first time post here. Not really geek but really like new tec.
Have 64 Ipad and would like to know any av cables yet? Only see charging cables so far. Would like to play movies on tv from the Ipad.
Any ideas

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi first time post here. Not really geek but really like new tec.
Have 64 Ipad and would like to know any av cables yet? Only see charging cables so far. Would like to play movies on tv from the Ipad.
Any ideas

For some reason the AV cables aren't listed under iPad accessories, but if you look under iPod accessories they are listed there and they list the iPad as being compatible with them.

I have this one:
Apple Component AV Cable - Apple Store (U.S.)

But there is also a composite and VGA available - I haven't seen an HDMI yet though.

robsoule

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the iPad dock connector to VGA adapter and works well. I have a separate VGA cable that I connect one end to and the other end to my HDTV. Works great. Only thing though, not all program display video on your tv. Just YouTube, Keynote, Netflix, ABC Player (i think) and some videos. If you purchased content from iTunes (Avatar like I did), it will give you a message that says something like, "the connected display is not supported to play this content". Other movies that you rip and add to your library will play though. Good luck.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the iPad dock connector to VGA adapter and works well. I have a separate VGA cable that I connect one end to and the other end to my HDTV. Works great. Only thing though, not all program display video on your tv. Just YouTube, Keynote, Netflix, ABC Player (i think) and some videos. If you purchased content from iTunes (Avatar like I did), it will give you a message that says something like, "the connected display is not supported to play this content". Other movies that you rip and add to your library will play though. Good luck.

Hey robsoule, I think that is because you are using the VGA connector and it may be considered 'too' high res. But with my component cable which is supposed to put out 480p I can play anything through it, including DRM content from iTunes, in fact I also bought Avatar in iTunes and played it through the iPad to my 50" Plasma and it looked awesome (well as good as it could considering some of the cartoony looking content).

robsoule

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right. I did some more research on Apple's Support website and found that by default, the HD version is downloaded to the iPad, but the SD version is available through iTunes as well. They instructed the user to sync the SD version to use with the VGA connector. Thanks for the help.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right. I did some more research on Apple's Support website and found that by default, the HD version is downloaded to the iPad, but the SD version is available through iTunes as well. They instructed the user to sync the SD version to use with the VGA connector. Thanks for the help.

Just to note, Avatar from iTunes is not in HD. Its 853 x 480. So from what you are saying, that should play through your VGA cable. (If Apple's information is correct.)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score

To be sure I understand what I need to view Netflix on TV. I need the Ipad dock connector to VGA adapter. Then I need a VGA cable to connect to the adapter and to the TV? This fits in the dock connector at bottom of Ipad and then the cable will insert into the end of the adapter???? The TV I want to connect is a Sony and itr lists VGA, SVGA etc in manual with various resolution

Hardware just isn't my thing- but ask me about software and I'm a lot more
comfortable LOL

I've just done a bit more research. Wouid I be better off buying the Apple AV connector cable than the VGA dock connector adapter which, as I understand
it, requires that I buy a VGA cable also?

How would the Netflix movies look on a 60"? I was assuming that I would be better off connecting to our 32".

Last edited:

robsoule

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll do some checking tonight on the whole Netflix-thingy.

Also, I was able to get Avatar to play on my TV. I downloaded this from iTunes and tried to connect using the VGA adapter to another TV (46"). What I ended up doing was to connect my VGA cable directly from my computer that I have iTunes on and use to sync my iPad. So, I just connect the VGA cable from the computer and hooked to my 40" Samsung and played the movie through iTunes on this TV. It was pretty good. I had the sound coming through a set of Bose computer speakers (Companion 2 Series) and was pretty cool.

I'll report back on the Netflix question tonight. I will figure out the easiest and cheapest to do this, if possible.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How would the Netflix movies look on a 60"? I was assuming that I would be better off connecting to our 32".

Diane, I have not tried Netflix through the iPad into a TV. I typically watch TV on a 50" Plasma. I have watched Netflix on this TV and it looks fine (Using a Playstation 3 as the source) as good as a DVD. (Not HD, but close enough for most people.)

I have also used my iPad to watch iTunes movies on my TV. Avatar looked almost as good as the Blue Ray disc did on the same TV. What I use is the Apple A/V component cable.

Check out this Mac World article on it:
Netflix iPad app adds video output support | Entertainment | Playlist | Macworld

robsoule

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to confirm that using the VGA dock connector, connected to a VGA cable and then connected to TV works fine. Resolution on my TV said 1024x768. Not sure if the dock connector with the composite/component cables work, but I would assume so. I remember Netflix updated their app to include support of external displays.

Most reactions