What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting USB cable issue

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zman said:
That's good but from the Amazon reviews, it's a roll of the dice :(

Half the reviewers on amazon are kinda clueless. They need a discerning eye to sift through.

OP
S

shawn744

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fid said:
Instead of using a longer iPad cable I used a three meters USB extension cable. It was quite cheap.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

Dang! This idea briefly passed through my mind but eventually I figured it wouldn't work or something. That's a terrific idea! It's working without any problems ?

Gabey: The only issue I had with some of the cables that actually worked was that they did intact charge but at a reallyyyy slow rate as if they were attached to the iPhone charger or something.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fid said:
Instead of using a longer iPad cable I used a three meters USB extension cable. It was quite cheap.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

Could you tell us which brand (model, part no., or whatever identifier) you bought?

Thanks.

OP
S

shawn744

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just went to eBay (again) and bought a 15foot USB cable. No brand or anything. It cost 2.28 bucks shipped...when I get it I'll update y'all.

Can't understand why apple cant give us some longer cables or just make the battery last a week...nuts.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
shawn744 said:
I just went to eBay (again) and bought a 15foot USB cable. No brand or anything. It cost 2.28 bucks shipped...when I get it I'll update y'all.

Can't understand why apple cant give us some longer cables or just make the battery last a week...nuts.

You wish apple would give out 15 ft USB cables? I wouldn't not mind one 5ft cable, but that does cut into their profits.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been reading up on all the charger threads I could find, and i see that I have a unique issue...my issue is not a matter of iPhone vs iPad charging ....I bought several 15ft USB cables for my iPhone 4S on eBay, and they work very well for my iPhone. Bought my first iPad today and im finding that none of the cables are working except for the oem original cable that came with my iPad....obviously I'm using my iPad charging adaptor in the wall...why should the cable matter ? Two of the 15 foot ones don't work, and the 10 foot one actually recognizes charging but doesn't actually charge. I definitely need some longer cables but I'm hesitant to pay 15 bucks each...and I'm not even sure if the ones on amazon will work or not seeing they ALL say they work for all apple devices...any ideas ?

I really appreciate any help, thanks

-Shawn

You could do what I did; I bought a 9' USB extension cable from Amazon. Plug the extension cable into the power pod and plug the ipad cable into the female end of the USB extension cable. Viola! 12' of charging cable. :)

Cheers, Dan

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Belkin charger (wall and car) and cable that I use for my iPod. Just got my new iPod today and use the Belkin cable to connect to my Macbook. No problem there. Will be traveling tomorrow, so will try the car connection.

tristis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to increase the cable length for charging just get an old lap top power cord that can plug into the 10W power adapter after you remove the plug attachment. I have an iPad 1 and a new iPad and both now have a 10 ft cable thanks to this tip.

gabey8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
You wish apple would give out 15 ft USB cables? I wouldn't not mind one 5ft cable, but that does cut into their profits.

I could see if they didn't want to give out freebie long cables with their iDevices, but I wish they'd at least offer to SELL longer OEM cables. I can guarantee they'd make some money on longer cables if they had them for sale.

Most reactions