What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as phone?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If u havent already, get this whistlephone app formipad. I just read this thread then downloaded it. Man, this app wrks great and excellent sound quality with the built in ipad mic ir can be used with headphones or bluetooth. With my ipad jailbroken n able to multitask, this app just wrks, really. It took me like 30secs. To fill out email adrress n stuff n bam, my Ipad now has its own personal phone number. Outgoing and incoming wrks fine. Ipad starts ringing when someone calls. Another free feauture of it is that u can make it possibke that if someone calls ur ipad, n u dont pick up, its automatically forwarded to ur cell number. U can set up to 5 numbers and any order that it will dial when ipad numb. Not picked up. Free calls to n from anyowhere n the u.s. Free calls to and from other whistlephone users internationally. Of course if u want to make international calls off tops, u can add that to ur account for a fee. Im really lovin this app. Just had long convo with mom n pops. Sound quality is better than my cell wit atnt..lmao. Plus im tethered to my win mo phone thru wifi to my ipad. As long as i have internet/data connection goin to my ipad thru my tether or however, the ipad will ring like a phone with its own individual phone number to be reached at. This is too cool. Im glad i came across this thread. Thank u

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Google Phone

Just downloaded the whistle phone app and signed up.tried a few test calls and it seems to work fine. You do have to sit through a few seconds of ads but it's free so I think it is worth it. iPad wifi no 3G

same here, been using for a week or so now, daughter lives in florida, wife talks to other daughter in chicago last night on home phone, she called in on home phone, wife let me know and i called her in florida on ipad whistle app, she kept chatting on home phone to chicago, a great additon to my ipad, seeing as we have 4 grown kids all out of state or a long ways away

Google also has a free phone on their site you can use. Don't know if it's exactly like the one you're talking about here but it works on my PC...No I-Pad "yet".......Ken

Dgilchri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone any experience using Truphone?
It used to be great on my old iPhone, but simply does nothing - and I mean ZILCH on my Ipad even though it is claimed to be an iPad App, clearly it has never been tested!
Anyone out there got it to work?

IPad 3G
DG

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
S.Jobs said that i paddy was able to make celluar calls through the carrrier just as an regular mobilephone, but... It can !

S.Joba also said that it Is not possible to send sms/mms and recieve sms/mms trough your carrier from your cellphone and It´s cellphonenumber.

So try It out, put your simcard into the iPad and try, the simcard must be a regular phone sim (microsim), many internetonly simcards doesent suport sms/mms, so test with your sim from your phone or get a twincard. offcourse the options depends on the carrier.
To If u enable sms/mms feature on your 3G u almost have your iPad/phone.

http://www.swirlyspace.com/?page_id=521

Last edited:

jtjdmj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi i have the ipad 32GB wifi + 3G prorded. Can you use the Ipad with 3G as a phone as well?. If you can use it has a phone im going to do a trigger happy TV 21st century style lol.

Im not bothered if you carnt use it as a phone but it be a bonus if you could.

don't know if it would work for you, or the cost, but I used Skype yesterday to my Aunt in a different state and know hubby uses Skype to different countries...he's never used iPAD, but only cause it's new and mine, but local clarity was good. Good Luck!

Jimboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the iPad as a "phone" with skype while away from home to save from roaming cell phone charges. It is very very useful, and I use the mywi app in conjunction with it if there is no wifi available:)

bukzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad as phone

Would you want to use the iPad as a phone?

I want to use my ipad (or any tool for that matter) to do whatever
it does well, to help my business/life.

Any app, now or in the future that does that, I am interested in.

Line2, Voice Central and Google Voice are just a few of the phone
management apps that countless folks use on their ipad.

Have a look.

Thinking outside the box,
Bukzin

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts