What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separate IPad Data Plan For Smart Phone Hot-Spotting?

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was going to get the WiFi/3G of the IPad, initially, but had since ran across some information which aided in the changing of my mind. I had heard/read, from a number of others, that you could forgo the 3G data plan for the Ipad if you had a data plan for your smart phone (I will soon be replacing my Droid2, that fell into some water, not long ago, and will be another smart phone w/data plan). What I had heard/read was that you could use such a phone as a hotspot for your IPad.

Today, however, I was talking with a saleswoman at Best Buy, who informed me that this was not the case. In order to use an IPad with a 3G/4G smart phone, you had to pay an additional charge for a separate IPad data plan. If that is right, then I am kinda in a lurch. What I ordered (in light of the first info given) was the 32GB WiFi only version.

Now, of course, that salesperson could have been misinformed - and could have unintentionally given me erroneous information. But I hope that someone, here, could help shed proper light on the matter.

Advanced thanks.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You do not need a separate data plan for the iPad to use a smartphone's hotspot. These hotspots act just like any other secure WiFi hotspot as far as the iPad is concerned. However most smartphone hotspots will cost you extra on you smartphone plan. That is not true of every carrier, but it is true of both AT&T and Verizon in the U.S., at least for the moment. Be sure to read over your carrier's hotspot plans and what phones are compatible before deciding.

Two considerations you should make before buying the non-3G iPad. One is that you do not have to activate the 3G to use the iPad. So other than the additional cost of the iPad, you are not committed to spending more money on data. It does provide you with an quick alternative if you need it for a month of travel or other unexpected connectivity emergency. There is no contract. At least not in the U.S.

Two, the WiFi only iPad does not have a GPS. Location services will be general only, seldom better than a city block. This is fine for some services, like weather, but map applications will be of limited use.

Personally I think the extra money is worth the GPS alone, but it depends on how you'll use your iPad. If it almost never leaves home both GPS and 3G aren't much use.

And finally, Apple is announcing something new the 2nd of March. This is almost guaranteed to be the next generation iPad. Wait at least that long to see what it is going to be, so you can decide if it is worth waiting for.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You do not need a separate data plan for the iPad to use a smartphone's hotspot. These hotspots act just like any other secure WiFi hotspot as far as the iPad is concerned. However most smartphone hotspots will cost you extra on you smartphone plan. That is not true of every carrier, but it is true of both AT&T and Verizon in the U.S., at least for the moment. Be sure to read over your carrier's hotspot plans and what phones are compatible before deciding.

Two considerations you should make before buying the non-3G iPad. One is that you do not have to activate the 3G to use the iPad. So other than the additional cost of the iPad, you are not committed to spending more money on data. It does provide you with an quick alternative if you need it for a month of travel or other unexpected connectivity emergency. There is no contract. At least not in the U.S.

Two, the WiFi only iPad does not have a GPS. Location services will be general only, seldom better than a city block. This is fine for some services, like weather, but map applications will be of limited use.

Personally I think the extra money is worth the GPS alone, but it depends on how you'll use your iPad. If it almost never leaves home both GPS and 3G aren't much use.

And finally, Apple is announcing something new the 2nd of March. This is almost guaranteed to be the next generation iPad. Wait at least that long to see what it is going to be, so you can decide if it is worth waiting for.

Thanks much for your response. Actually, my unit has been ordered via a third-party concern. A very good friend of mine (in another country) has opted to order one for me, since knowing of how I had wanted one. I couldn't afford it at this time, but will be paying him back over the course of the next six months. I don't want him to undergo the process of a return/reorder, so I will just stay with what is coming (having received notification that it will be here today). As far as GPS is concerned, I already have one.

If I had known earlier, what you have imparted to me, I would certainly have gone for the 3G model. No, it isn't something that would be utilized on a daily basis, but it sure would have been nice to have that option in event of its need.

Again, I thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts