What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as laptop replacement?

FastWestie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm considering getting an iPad to replace my aging Dell laptop which is just about to expire. I've read lots of good things about tablets and the iPad in particular, but there isn't anywhere local for me to have a play with one so I'm after a bit of advice. My last experience of a Mac was one running MacOS 8 - yes, I am that old!

1. Is it possible to use an iPad as a laptop replacement? If so, what are the restrictions?
  2. I have read about the lack of multitasking. How difficult is it to copy data from say an Excel file to an email?
  3. iTunes: I have all my music as WMA files on my HTPC running Windoze 7. Can I play these on the iPad, or will I need to run iTunes on the PC and share from there?
  4. If I create a shared folder on the Windoze machine can I access it from the iPad and share files through this?
  5. I heard that iCloud will allow me to sync my contancts and tasks from Outlook to the iPad. How well does this work? (I already sync contacts from Outlook to my Nokia mobiles)
Many thanks for your help

MelvynLoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey ! The iPad can only do 90% of what a Laptop offers. The bad thing about an iPad is that the device doesn't support flash player . Therefore most videos online, you wouldn't be able to view them. Other then that is gaming . Gaming on a PC defitnely gives you an ultimate experience . Other then these two, i don't find any other issues . If you do need powerpoint all those, the iPad has the iWork app for you to work on . But typing on a screen for long hours may tire your hands . Therefore just get the apple plug in keyboard.

MelvynLoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yeah one more thing, you need a pc as you require the program "iTunes" to transfer stuffs to your iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Since you have posed MANY questions, I'll address just several at the moment:

1. Laptop replacement - personal decision depending on your laptop needs; the iPad is not a total replacement for a computer but can do an astounding number of chores; for my wife & I the iPad is now the device we take on the road mainly for checking email and for surfing the web - we also have a BT keyboard which I feel is a MUST if you plan to write long email responses or use other programs, such as Pages (Word equivalent). But again you may want to list your specific needs for a laptop and a better answer may be forthcoming?

2. Audio support - quoted below from Apple Support are the audio files that will run on the iPad; WMA (Windows Media Audio) is not included (hey, they are the competition!) - so you will need to 'convert' your WMAs to MP3 or AAC (the most common lossy codecs used) - there are plenty of options; search the forum since this is asked often and/or search the web for WMA to 'whatever' convertors - good luck!

Audio formats supported: HE-AAC (V1 and V2), AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

Beachgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only owned my Ipad 3 for less than a day (have Mac and Iphone 4) and I can say that it does have a lot of potentials and can do so many thing BUT:
1- if you are a business person and have some many thing to do on a lap top, the Ipad does NOT replace the lap top at least for now, you will have to buy plenty of apps to be able to work on the ipad, in general mine had not much other than almost same apps (less iphoto ...) in my iPhone, I've spent around $40 last night to buy Ianottate PDF and Quickoffice, these 2 will help me to be able to open and work on MS word, excel files, .... and work on PDF files but highlighting or write up some notes and so on, I still need to spend some more money to get more apps to be able to do my work more efficiently, but I will not be able to put Mac to rest, no way because there are so many things that can't be done with ipad and should be done with Mac, one major example in my case is that some accounting softwares like Quickbooks that I used to use it on Windows and had to get Vmware (to get windows on Mac since the Mac version is pretty bad) this Quickbooks can't work on ipad, its not even working properly on Mac. This is one of few that I can name.
2- iPad is a pretty good device and addition and I can see myself working on it more and more and be able to do things that I can't do on Mac, so it seems like a MUST in my case, its lighter in weight, work by touch and so on
3- working on iPad as it is now, flat device with no proper accessories will kill your arms, hands, neck, lol, my left wrist was hurting me all night from the way I was holding the ipad, so I guess if want to work for hours on it, you must get yourself some more accessories (like the keyboard, stand ... ) and again pay $ for these.

wiscofan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the new iPad yesterday and I'll be honest I was skeptical at first(I own an iPhone, iMac, and MacBook Air) and didn't feel I ever really needed one. But I went and forked over some money for the 32GB Wi-Fi model and have been impressed at what it does-- I don't think it will ever replace my other computers but it is a nice gadget to have especially if you travel.

I probably won't take my Mac Air with me when I travel because an iPad can do what I need to do on the go. I will always prefer to get work done on a regular PC because it is easier for me with a dedicated keyboard and better programs to work on.

Frawick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may find the iPad lacking if you manage your,obey using Quicken. A Mint APP will give most of what is needed.
If you can live without Adobe Flash an iPad will make you happy.
Before long, you will find enough APPs to do almost everything you were doing on your desktop or laptop and the best part will be knowing that your iPad will do it right without you having to tell it every step to take.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FastWestie said:
Hi Guys
I'm considering getting an iPad to replace my aging Dell laptop which is just about to expire. I've read lots of good things about tablets and the iPad in particular, but there isn't anywhere local for me to have a play with one so I'm after a bit of advice. My last experience of a Mac was one running MacOS 8 - yes, I am that old!

[*]Is it possible to use an iPad as a laptop replacement? If so, what are the restrictions?
[*]I have read about the lack of multitasking. How difficult is it to copy data from say an Excel file to an email?
[*]iTunes: I have all my music as WMA files on my HTPC running Windoze 7. Can I play these on the iPad, or will I need to run iTunes on the PC and share from there?
[*]If I create a shared folder on the Windoze machine can I access it from the iPad and share files through this?
[*]I heard that iCloud will allow me to sync my contancts and tasks from Outlook to the iPad. How well does this work? (I already sync contacts from Outlook to my Nokia mobiles)

Many thanks for your help

Can't upload docs onto websites like you do with your laptop!! ;'(

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It really does depend on individual need. In my case, I just need to take notes when I go to seminars. I have a BT keyboard case that props up and it turns the iPad into a netbook type look, and nothing beats it for battery life. I have Docs to Go as my word processor. I like Docs to Go for some of its other functions, but it's a decent word processor for my needs.
But, as a sole laptop replacement in absence of any other computer, for me I still need a desktop as well, not to mention for iTunes. But I now don't need a laptop like I used to for my meeting, and the iPad battery life is just so superb, so it's a winner for my needs.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do a lot with Office on your laptop, you still need a laptop, and a MacBook Air might suite your needs better. If 90% of your needs are email and web use, or things that are within the virtues of the iPad, it is wonderful. It is a travel device, and as such it is wonderful. There is promise of Office on the iPad, but until that happens, the alternates leave minor issues to be resolved. iTunes and other programs can convert your music to AAC for playing on the iPad. With most new cars, you can use it for playing your music through your car stereo.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
ICab App?

The Archangel

What's that??

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ditto to all the other info here. There are definitely people who could replace their laptop with an iPad. I don't think the number of people is that high though. There are just somethings best left to the trusty laptop. There are still some great games that I play on the laptop and for serious productivity computing the laptop is the best platform. Otherwise, the iPad is the portable system I've always wanted. It's battery life and ease of transport is just wonderful.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You will need to buy apps but they are generally cheap relatively. I can do most everything but process raw photo files and I do a bit of big spreadsheets on my PC. Otherwise I have found ways to do most everything else I want to with office suites, PDF converter, Goodreader, terrific note apps, some 3Rd party browsers and especially Dropbox--an essential I feel. I've been using my Ipad 1 for almost 2 years but my new Ipad 3 is a huge upgrade and it all seems quite mature to me now.

Diane

Most reactions

Latest posts