What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad - are you still on the fence?

HungryWriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.glennmagas.com
I was going to preorder then decided against it. Realized, for the money, I have to think twice before jumping the gun. Then I hear rumors of the iPhone HD and I'm thinking, wow - that's where my money should go.

That being said, I'm still thinking about getting the iPad this week.

Most reviews are positive, but some aren't.

Who is still on the fence? __________________
Are you addicted to Apple? I am!
Take the iPad Survey!

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Stupid poll

I was going to preorder then decided against it. Realized, for the money, I have to think twice before jumping the gun. Then I hear rumors of the iPhone HD and I'm thinking, wow - that's where my money should go.

That being said, I'm still thinking about getting the iPad this week.

Most reviews are positive, but some aren't.

Who is still on the fence? __________________
Take the iPad Survey!

LoL !!! why i have to take a survey for a master piece i am convinced it will lead the world computing

StudioTq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Non-Positive Reviews?

Every review I have viewed, from CBS to ABC (Chicago) and most on the web, they seem to say the same negative things that have been said prior to the release.

"I will wait for them to work the bugs out of generation 1", "It doesn't have flash (Adobe) on it!", "It cannot print!", "Its too expensive!", on and on.

My answers to these, after using it for a day, are...I have not had a crash on it yet, except an application that was being developed and the developer was new to app programming. When generation 2 comes out, will they not say, "I will wait for them to work all the bugs out and get gen 3?"

I have surfed many websites and only a few was I not able to view the content on. Many websites are going to non-flash because of the Android (Still waiting for Mobile 10.1 for my Verizon phone which was promised last October), iPhone, and now iPad. In the mobile world, flash has not been widely accepted, except for the laptop and netbooks.

The best reason for not printing i have heard, is why i believe Safari is lighter and leaner in 10.6 +. They did not install all the possible print drivers out there and allow you to install only the ones you need.. It would be difficult to install and write these drivers for an lighter and leaner OS like the iPhone OS. I do believe someone will come up with an app to do this. I do not know because I don't have an iPhone but can an iPhone print? Or, is there and App for that?

I did not know how much this thing was going to change my computing needs but before bed, I can read a book, look at a last minute score for a Cub's game, finish an addition to a slideshow in keynote, and write an email without the heat of the laptop, the weight of the laptop or worrying about the battery at all and, it starts immediately! This IS going to be a life changer for me.

These are all my 2 MB of knowledge. This is how I feel. I am glad in a way I bought the iPad and it rocks with the Verizon Mifi. The downfall is my wife got a hold of it and found her Nicholas Sparks novels on the bookstore. I had a hard time getting it back. She loves the reading experience. Bottom line is you have to decide for yourself, is this going to be used like it should as something between the iPhone and Laptop or am I looking at this to replace a laptop.

This will not replace my laptop. I need the ram and processor for my photography business and photoshop. Yet, I don't think I need it for my iCal.

Thanks for the read and I hope you can sort through getting one. I don't think you will be sorry.

Tom Q

PS. These are my random thoughts which were not proofread or checked for spelling so I pre-apologize for the errors if there are.

briloop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't pre-order an iPad.
I'm waiting to see more reviews of the iPad.
I might buy an iPad or similar device in the near future.

I own a Mac, and I love it.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I do get one it will be wifi. If I speculate correctly, next gen iPhone BETTER have tethering!!!

Thanks to those who have taken the survey so far!

Who is still on the fence?
Take the iPad Survey!
I am really looking forward to seeing what has changed for the new iPhone. The rumors floating around now make it sound like a major upgrade.

FYI, the current version of the iPhone has tethering. Ask anyone outside the US. It is AT&T that won't allow the functionality to be enabled.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we'll get lucky and AT&T will finally enable tethering for the iPhone 3GS.

If I do get one it will be wifi. If I speculate correctly, next gen iPhone BETTER have tethering!!!

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If ATT wants to keep iPhone users from going over to verizon this summer... they will enable tethering!

In the meantime... MyWi is tethering my iPad to my iPhone rather swimmingly!!! As a matter of fact I was just testing it out and this post comes from my iPad currently tethered to my iPhone. Working like a charm!!!

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If ATT wants to keep iPhone users from going over to verizon this summer... they will enable tethering!

In the meantime... MyWi is tethering my iPad to my iPhone rather swimmingly!!! As a matter of fact I was just testing it out and this post comes from my iPad currently tethered to my iPhone. Working like a charm!!!

O.k. So explain this process

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score

O.k. So explain this process

Just gotta jailbreak your iPhone (if you are comfortable w/ that) and then look for the MyWi app. That app turns your phone into a wifi router on the go. I used to use it to wirelessly tether my laptop... now I can use it to wirelessly tether my iPad.

$10 for the app. It is the only jailbroken app i've ever paid for... but it is WELL worth the price (saving me the extra $130 by not having to get the 3G version and saving me $30 a month by not having to pay for the iPad 3G service).

Some people aren't comfortable jailbreaking their iPhone. The MyWi app alone makes it worth it!!!

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also used the method described by brobar to turn my backup iPhone (3G) into a wifi hotspot. Works very well. It is one of the reasons I went with the wifi only model ;).

Most reactions

Latest posts