What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad & Android - I use both

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A few months ago I purschased a Galaxy Tab 7.7 rather than update my orignal iPad. The main reason at the time was that I wanted a smaller lighter tablet to use on public transport, and I wanted to see what Android had to offer.

Afer three months I find that I use both regularly. Neither device has all the features I want, but combined they cover most of the bases.

The iPad stays at home and is used when the larger screen size is beneficial. I also use it for Internet banking becuse I think that the closed iOS is more secure.

The Galaxy is preferred while on the move because it is smaller and lighter. It is also better for backing up photos due to the open file system and micro SD slot. The Galaxy web browser has Flash but Safari will actually works on some web sites that the Galaxy can't access.

AirPlayit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for telling your experience. Yep, in some point iPad benefits you more at home. Glad to know you find this way. We cannot tell which one is better, that depends on personal needs. Smaller and lighter device will be more available for work and move, so I am waiting for iPad Mini.:ipad-back:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't take my iPads out nearly as much now -- use them almost exclusively at home, or on trips, since I got my Samsung Galaxy Note 5" phablet. Its size makes for better portability, and I can carry one device instead of two. I still use my iPads at home plenty, though.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A few months ago I purschased a Galaxy Tab 7.7 rather than update my orignal iPad. The main reason at the time was that I wanted a smaller lighter tablet to use on public transport, and I wanted to see what Android had to offer.

Afer three months I find that I use both regularly. Neither device has all the features I want, but combined they cover most of the bases.

The iPad stays at home and is used when the larger screen size is beneficial. I also use it for Internet banking becuse I think that the closed iOS is more secure.

The Galaxy is preferred while on the move because it is smaller and lighter. It is also better for backing up photos due to the open file system and micro SD slot. The Galaxy web browser has Flash but Safari will actually works on some web sites that the Galaxy can't access.

Some more thoughts.

Cloud based contacts and calendars are important here. I use Google but I assume that iCloud can also do the job. An iPad mini would fill one gap but not the lack of Flash or open file system. I am not a an advocate of of Flash, it's just that it is required on web sites that I need to access. My next update may well be a full sized iPad, with the Galaxy Tab continuing to be the more portable device with Flash and open file system.

A minor benefit, rarely do both devices run out of battery at tge same time:eek:.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new iPad and a Kindle Fire. I bought the Fire a few months after they first came out, but what I really wanted was an iPad. I quickly realized the Fire wasn't going to cut it, bit the bullet, and bought an iPad. So, I passed it on to my son, who decided he'd rather have cash to buy the parts he wanted to build a gaming computer. So, I gave the Fire to my daughter who decided she was fine with her laptop and would rather have a basic Kindle ereader. Poor little rejected Fire. So, it sat neglected until one day I read about an app that would let me use it to watch certain TV shows (the app is Droid TV, I'm using it to watch True Blood). So, I busted it out and became reacquainted with it. Now I'm using the Fire when I'm out and about. I can download shows to watch, sync up the latest book I'm reading, surf the web (tethered to my iPhone), etc. Its no iPad, but its a decent device. Plus, since I only paid $139 for it (refurb special), I don't worry about losing it or having it stolen as much as I did the iPad.

So, long story short...I'm also using an iPad and an Android(ish) tablet.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3, an Acer Iconia A500, a kindle fire, and a google nexus 7 on order.

I find the kindle to be basically and entertainment device. The other android is rather heavy. I use it only at home. I will probably give it to my brother when I get the nexus. The iPad is my go to device. I use it everyday for all that I do, including work. I give a lot of presentations with it, too.

I do expect the lightness of the nexus to make it more useful to me than my Acer . I plan to use it a lot around the house. I still wish it had a front camera and an sd slot of some kind. I might make the nexus my gps, since I own navigon on android too.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By the way, any place I go where I take a briefcase, the iPad goes with me. When I don't have the iPad, the iPhone fills in just fine.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A minor benefit, rarely do both devices run out of battery at tge same time:eek:.

I have the crummy knack of running down the batteries on multiple devices at the same time. Part of that is inattention; part is using two iPads at once -- streaming Netflix on one while surfing on the other, for example. Yesterday, both my iPads auto-shut off because the batteries were drained. I ended up watching Netflix on my Kindle Fire and later finishing a book on my touch 4 while my iPad 1 and 2 were charging.

happy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
apple-zones.blogspot.com

Galaxy Tab 7.7 and iPad are all OK,each has its own good and bad points, the way of combine with both Galaxy and iPad is very good, thank you for your experience!

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with today's ruling in the UK that Samsung hasn't breached Apple copyright because it's are not as cool as the iPad.

Seriously though, basic tablet functionality is generic in my view. The iPad has the wow factor but lacks some mundane functionality.

I think that I am likely to keep using the Samsung for the gaps that it fills in iPad functionality but that my next purchase may well be the current iPad at the time.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I have the crummy knack of running down the batteries on multiple devices at the same time. Part of that is inattention; part is using two iPads at once -- streaming Netflix on one while surfing on the other, for example. Yesterday, both my iPads auto-shut off because the batteries were drained. I ended up watching Netflix on my Kindle Fire and later finishing a book on my touch 4 while my iPad 1 and 2 were charging.

Ha! Next time someone tells me my iPad, Fire, and Kindle are excessive I'm directing them to you!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha! Next time someone tells me my iPad, Fire, and Kindle are excessive I'm directing them to you!

Sure, send them my way.

I'll be happy to consider their opinions just as soon as I start spending their money, lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts