What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 4th Generation, Won't Charge. Endless Cycle of Red Line Battery Symbol and Apple Logo

DCR5160

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am working on an older iPad, model A2324. When I got it, it would not charge or turn on. After replacing the battery and the screen (one of the little cables broke on the old one during disassembly), it is now in an endless cycle of first the battery icon with the red line, which sometimes is solid and sometimes flashes a couple of times, then goes away. After 6 or 7 cycles of this, the Apple logo will appear then go away very quickly. About every 10th time the sign in screen will appear, but it goes away before you can enter the passcode. The couple of times I was able to enter the passcode, the cycle started over again before it would get to the opening screen. Usually after the sign in screen goes away, the screen will flash once like it is trying to come on, but it never does.

Here's the things I have tried, all with no success.

Used several different combinations of chargers and/or cables, including one new one, as well as the one that came with it originally.

Left it plugged in overnight.

Cleaned the charger port and checked it for obstructions.

Heated the battery several times using both a heating pad and a heat gun. Sometimes when it won't do anything at all, this gets it to start the cycle described above all over again.

Checked and rechecked all connections.

Also, the power switch does nothing. The volume up, volume down, power switch combination doesn't do anything, and the iPad is not recognized when plugged into a computer, whether it's an apple computer or a regular PC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am working on an older iPad, model A2324. When I got it, it would not charge or turn on. After replacing the battery and the screen (one of the little cables broke on the old one during disassembly), it is now in an endless cycle of first the battery icon with the red line, which sometimes is solid and sometimes flashes a couple of times, then goes away. After 6 or 7 cycles of this, the Apple logo will appear then go away very quickly. About every 10th time the sign in screen will appear, but it goes away before you can enter the passcode. The couple of times I was able to enter the passcode, the cycle started over again before it would get to the opening screen. Usually after the sign in screen goes away, the screen will flash once like it is trying to come on, but it never does.

Here's the things I have tried, all with no success.

Used several different combinations of chargers and/or cables, including one new one, as well as the one that came with it originally.

Left it plugged in overnight.

Cleaned the charger port and checked it for obstructions.

Heated the battery several times using both a heating pad and a heat gun. Sometimes when it won't do anything at all, this gets it to start the cycle described above all over again.

Checked and rechecked all connections.

Also, the power switch does nothing. The volume up, volume down, power switch combination doesn't do anything, and the iPad is not recognized when plugged into a computer, whether it's an apple computer or a regular PC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Heating the battery is one of the worst things you can do. You may well have damaged both it and the iPad as a whole.

OP
D

DCR5160

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heating the battery is one of the worst things you can do. You may well have damaged both it and the iPad as a whole.
WIth all due respect I don't think that has anything to do with it. Since you have to heat the battery to remove it and the heating pad heats the whole bottom of the device. if that were true, then anytime you replace the battery you would destroy the device. I will try another battery just in case this one is damaged or not good, even though it is new,

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
WIth all due respect I don't think that has anything to do with it. Since you have to heat the battery to remove it and the heating pad heats the whole bottom of the device. if that were true, then anytime you replace the battery you would destroy the device. I will try another battery just in case this one is damaged or not good, even though it is new,
The idea is to warm the adhesive when you remove a battery. Deliberately using heat gun on a battery, especially a lithium one, is actually dangerous as it can explode. Heat in general will shorten the life of an iPad or iPhone.

Most reactions

Latest posts