What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overnight charge - hot iPad Air 2 and 20% battery charge?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi All - don't know if there is an answer to my problem described to my son (an IT guy who works w/ a LOT of Apple gadgets) below in an email - a one time event (so far) and will do some further testing - the iPad is on iOS 9.0.1 - we are on a week long car trip to visit our son in Indianapolis and I wanted to breakup the long drive, so staying in Frankfort, KT a few nights going up & then Lexington, KT on our return.

I've been doing the below charging routine for nearly a year on the new iPad (and also a year or more on my old iPad 2) - the IGO charger has worked great and I'm assuming the USB-lightning cable is fine, but I'll test w/ other combinations when I get back home. I hope this is just a 'fluke' occurrence and was corrected by the RESET - maybe battery monitoring was 'out of wrack'? If not, then I suspect the iPad's battery - backed up to iCloud now and will back up to my laptop on return. Would appreciate any further advice - not sure that I need to do much except observe? Thanks. Dave

P.S. likely will not be posting much until next week but expect a new travelogue on central Kentucky w/ bourbon and horses in the discussion, along w/ a state capital! :)

BUT, last night something peculiar happen on my iPad Air 2 which I've owned now nearly a year; on trips, I carry an IGO AC-USB adapter w/ 2 ports (both 10 W) - at night I typically plug in my iPad & my portable BT speakers - the iPad is always charged 100% by morning - the AC adapter has not failed me w/ this device nor w/ a year or more on my old iPad 2.

Woke up this morning, and the iPad was HOT to the touch, especially near the HOME button (likely where the battery is located - have not looked @ a schematic), and the battery indicated only a 20+% charge - again, something that has never happened w/ this combination of devices; the iPad was unresponsive, so I did a RESET and it responded; we went out for the day, so I plugged the iPad into my battery pack - on our return this evening about 7PM, the iPad was charged to 100%, was not warm at all, and is now working - I'm typing this message now on the device w/ a BT keyboard. I still have just over a year of AppleCare and will test w/ other cables and chargers but wanted to provide this information in see if you have any explanations.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you considered calling Apple telephone technical support? It's free when you have AppleCare+.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Scifan.. & Brian... - just an update from a week ago - the problem occurred the first night on an 8-day car trip which involved staying in 3 different cities, so not really a chance to run into a local Apple store; so, I was able to charge the iPad (both via backup battery & AC adapter) for the entire trip - charged fine and I used the device during the entire trip in a normal fashion. I did put in an online ticket to Apple and gave them a call but was put on a wait list, so did not want to waste my time - I can re-open the ticket.

Now home today - my options are a local Simply Mac store at the mall in town or an Apple store in Greensboro (a 45-minute drive) - I have AppleCare until November 2016 - I do weekly iPad backups on both my laptop & in the cloud - SO, do I need to take the device into either of those mentioned stores for a 'diagnostic evaluation' or just wait to see if the event happens again when I'm still under AppleCare - my hesitation in part is due to what Apple will offer, i.e. I doubt that they would want to replace my battery vs. just giving me a refurb that I'll need to restore via a backup? Just trying to get a few more thoughts before spending time getting the device assessed? Thanks for any input. Dave :)

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes the odds are good that you'd get a refurb vs a straight up battery replacement. Seems odd that the issue still hasn't reappeared. Is it possible that there was some debris in the Lightning port or the cable wasn't attached properly ?

I would take it to the Apple Store where they can check the logs on your iPad. There might be some info there that can shed some light.

On the other hand, you do have apple care for another year so you can just take your chances and see if the issue returns.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Brian - thanks for your comments - might just give the Simply Mac store a call in our local mall to see if they can at least perform the diagnostics and offer an opinion - the iOS 9.1 update was just released - not sure if that would remove my previous logs from the incident just over a week ago (currently on 9.0.1)? Dave

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just updated my Air 2 to 9.1 and the diagnostic logs are still there .

Thanks again for that information - was my assumption, so I'll go ahead w/ the 9.1 update. Dave

Hey Brian - just did the iOS 9.1 update - seems to have gone w/o a problem - sent Simply Mac an email - will take the device in for a check of the logs and then decide - will likely just live w/ the event and hope the machine continues its normal function - don't know yet? Dave :)

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey Brian - just did the iOS 9.1 update - seems to have gone w/o a problem - sent Simply Mac an email - will take the device in for a check of the logs and then decide - will likely just live w/ the event and hope the machine continues its normal function - don't know yet? Dave :)
Glad to hear the update went well. Would be interested to hear what simply Mac have to say about the logs.

Most reactions

Latest posts