What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbroken iPad (4.2.1) not rebooting after battery drain

radumarinescu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the following problem and I am really desperate.

First, here is the context:
- I have an iPad jailbreaked with iOS 4.2.1 (of course, tethered) which I forgot to charge for a couple of days and the batter got completely drained
- I started recharging it, using an original 10W wall charger for iPad
- the iPad starts charging (I see the "red battery" with the flash sign on the screen) and after a while the silver apple logo appears on the screen, but the iPad never boots...and if I leave the iPad untouched (and plugged in the charger) it goes back to the "red battery" screen... and the cycle starts over.

I tried to put the iPad in DFU mode in order to boot tethered (using redsn0w 0.9.6b4) but unfortunately I can't manage to enter DFU mode...although I follow the timing provided by the redsn0w tool :( ... Here is how I do this (may be it's wrong):
i. when the apple log is on the screen, I remove the cable and press Home+Power until the screen shuts off.... I assume that this is the "TURN OFF" state.
ii. I plug-in the cable in the iPad ... at which moment (without pushing any buttons) the iPad starts and the Apple logo appears...
iii. then i try to follow the timing sequence from redsn0w (Power - 3sec, then Power+Home - 9 sec, then Home - 15 sec), but I never reach the DFU mode... instead, every time the iPad ends in a state with the screen black (like it would be completely shut down)

One more thing: I would not mind even restoring the iPad! ... and I even managed to reach the "Connect to iTunes" window. However, the iPad never get recognized by iTunes... I tried it on three different Mac computers, and in Windows on a VM... but it never got recognized by iTunes.... by reading the Apple instructions, they emphasize that the device must have at least 20% of battery when entering Recovery mode, which is certainly unachievable for me :( due to the fact that the iPad never charged beyond the point (threshold) at which it switches from the "red battery" screen and tries to boot)

So, my questions are:

1. Did this ever happened to you? Or have you heard/read about such a situation before?
2. Is there a way to make my iPad charge (and not stop charging after the "red battery" level is reached)?
3. Do you know *any* way in which I could restore it... or enter DFU mode?

I have jailbreaked in the last 2 year everything from iPod touch to iPhone to iPad, with various versions of tethered and untethered jailbreaks, so I have some experience in doing this... but this problem is beyond my capacity, and I am really desperate, because I am totally clueless.

Any help is welcome!

Thanks a lot,
radu

Reaction score
Something like this never happened to me.

Not sure whether this helps or not, but I enter the DFU mode slightly differently.

1. Connect the iPad with PC right in the beginning.
2. Hold Power button, then slide to turn off. At this step confirm in redsn0w that your iPad is connected and turned off. The apple logo should appear.
3. Now try entering DFU mode with the timing described in redsn0w. The screen should go black and redsn0w should start copying files.

OP
R

radumarinescu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something like this never happened to me.

Not sure whether this helps or not, but I enter the DFU mode slightly differently.

1. Connect the iPad with PC right in the beginning.
2. Hold Power button, then slide to turn off. At this step confirm in redsn0w that your iPad is connected and turned off. The apple logo should appear.
3. Now try entering DFU mode with the timing described in redsn0w. The screen should go black and redsn0w should start copying files.
Hi,

first of all thanks a lot for your quick reply... unfortunately, i couldn't use your advice because I can't do the following "Hold Power button, then slide to turn off"... and this is because I'm stuck in the booting phase, which means I never reach the state where the "turn off slider" appears.

So, an additional questions are:
1. how can I turn off the iPad, when stuck in the boot phase (with the silver Apple logo)? ... this would hopefully help to know that I start the timings needed for DFU from a correct initial state (i.e. "turned off"). The only state that I reached so far is this: disconnected from the cable, I press Home+Power until (apparently) it's turned off (although I'm not sure what this state really is)... but then when I connect the cable the iPad turns *immediately* on (i.e. the silver Apple logo appears), without me pushing the Power button... and I guess because of that the timings don't fit anymore for the DFU mode. :(

2. the more general question: how to enter the DFU mode starting from a boot hanging state (i.e. from the state with the Apple logo on the screen)

Thanks again!

radu

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
R

radumarinescu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried both RecBoot and TinyUmbrella, but unfortunately none of the two did "sense" my iPad.

I guess one of the problems is that I don't know exactly from which *state* should I start. Currently, I can put my iPad in only one of the following states:

1. "Stuck while Booting" - the Apple logo appears on the screen and nothing else happens
2. "(Apparent) Recovery Mode" - the iTunes + USD cables symbols are on the screen ("Connect to Itunes" screen), but iTunes doesn't seem to recognize my device
3. "(Apparent) Power Off" - by holding the Power + Home buttons pressed (for cca. 10 sec) I can apparently power off the device. However, I'm not sure if this is indeed powered off, because when I reconnect it to the computer it automatically is "powered on". Furthermore, I am *not* able to power it on, by simply pressing the "Power" button... so, I don't know if this is really the "power off" state.

In this context, my main question still is: how to enter the DFU mode starting from the "Stuck while Booting" state... or from any of the three states that I mentioned before.

all the best,
radu

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought that the forum do not support giving advice to people that Jail Break their iPad.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This forum absolutely supports the rights of Apple mobile device owners to jailbreak their devices. What is strictly forbidden here is the discussion of cracked apps or acquiring software by any means other than that intended by the author, owner, developer or publisher.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This forum absolutely supports the rights of Apple mobile device owners to jailbreak their devices. What is strictly forbidden here is the discussion of cracked apps or acquiring software by any means other than that intended by the author, owner, developer or publisher.
Thanks.
Understood , and absolutely correct. With my iPad I already purchased quite a few programs from the iStore. The more we buy, the lower the price, and the more Applications we will get.

xbiggyl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I am experiencing the same problem as the OP. I will try to explain what I believe is the problem and maybe someone could help.

After I have drained my battery on my Jailbroken iPad iOS, tethered 4.2.1, I plugged it in the original Apple adapter that came with it and I left it for about 5 hours. When I got back I unplugged it and tried to reboot it using redsn0w (reboot untethered). The whole process works and the Pineapple logo appears, then I glance the lock-screen for half a second, then the iPad shuts-off, and then the empty red battery logo flashes: the iPad did not charge!
I plugged it into the adapter again and watched it. After a few seconds, the apple logo appears (as if it is rebooting) and it gets stuck there(of course because it is a tethered jailbreak, and the only way to boot it is using redsn0w). Also, I tried to turn it off because I have read many places that the iPad, if it is not powered-on, it only charges when it's off. However, I couldn't get it to to turn off.. it would stay frozen on the Apple logo.

So, I think the problem is that the after a few seconds of recharging, and when the Apple logo appears, the iPad stops charging. And when I try to reboot it using redsn0w, it does reboot; but once it gets to the lock-screen, it automatically shuts-off because the drained battery.

So, if this is correct, I believe the solution would be to switch it off while charging and not allowing it to start rebooting. In other words, is there a way to switch the iPad off, when it is stuck on the Apple logo?

DoctorTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem today. To fix it:
You can boot tethered from the apple logo no problem, just ignore the logo and treat it like your iPad is off.

-Run the redsnow boot tethered option as normal.

-As soon as the process on your computer is done IMMEDIATELY unplug iPad from computer and plug in the iPad charger.

-As soon as you get your lock or homescreen on your iPad, tap the power button to shut off the screen.

-For me this allowed it to trickle charge just enough that it didn't reboot. Once it was like that it started charging normally.

To the idiots on various boards claiming that the jailbreak doesn't affect charging: Umm, you're idiots. If the battery is dead multiple people report that tethered iPad will not take a charge. This is a jailbreak issue. My iPad has entered this state previous to my iOS4 jailbreak without any issues. This only started after tethered jailbreak.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the not-being-able-to-properly-shut-iPad-off like from OP's message:

"ii. when the apple log is on the screen, I remove the cable and press Home+Power until the screen shuts off.... I assume that this is the "TURN OFF" state.
. when the apple log is on the screen, I remove the cable and press Home+Power until the screen shuts off.... I assume that this is the "TURN OFF" state."

I didn't have the battery problem though.

What I did is:
- start redsnow and go all the way until it tells you to have the iPad completely shut off before proceeding.
- connect the iPad to the PC
- Wait until it tries powering up
- Once turned on, do the reset routine (holding power and home) until the screen goes black.
- Now the tricky part, just before iPad starts up again (you only have a couple of seconds), hold down the power button and press start in redsnow.

It's kind of tricky as you have to hold buttons on iPad while at the same time you have to press a button on your PC. But it worked for me.

guscardona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't work for me....

Hi Guys, I already tried the process you suggest but it doesn't work for me. I can't put the iPad in the DFU mode so RedSnow can't do it's work.

Another idea?

Thanks,

guscardona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't work for me...

I tried the standard process to put the iPad in DFU mode but it doesn't work.

I have the red discharged battery icon, then after a few minutes I have the white apple. In this momento I tried:

1. Do the process to put the iPad in DFU mode. It doesn't work. I can't achieve to put the iPad in this mode.
2. I press home and power for a few seconds, so the iPad tries to restart and in this moment I do the process to put it in DFU mode. Neither...
3. I tried with recboot, but nothing happens
4. I tried with TinyUmbrella, but nothing happens

What do you think?

Rokr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue. Apparently, when redsnow says you MUST have the device powered off, it's not a concrete rule. My ipad died. So I tried the redsnow reboot only but was stuck at the 'MUST TURN OFF IPAD FIRST' step. So I plugged it into the charger for an hour, unfortunately, that then put my pad into a white apple logo with loading icon (sun rays without a sun in the middle) which locked my ipad where I couldn't reset or power off. I then went into the redsnow reboot only process. When it said, power off ipad, I simply went to the next screen where the button pressing directions appear. I followed the steps as if I had turned off the ipad. AS SOON as the redsnow dialog box said that the ipad was now jailbreak rebooting independently and I had the pineapple logo on the screen, I rushed to the outlet and plugged in my charger. After a min, my ipad powered on jailbroken just fine!

Rokr

Most reactions

Latest posts