What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 9.7 disabled

frankpatterson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello iPadforums,

My ipad 9.7 is disabled and I didn't back it up. Tried updating it but that doesn't work. Is there any way to recover the photos without having to erase it?

Mahalo

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello iPadforums,

My ipad 9.7 is disabled and I didn't back it up. Tried updating it but that doesn't work. Is there any way to recover the photos without having to erase it?

Hello Frank.... - welcome to the forum! :) Johanna has already given you one suggestion, if you have an iCloud account. BUT, please provide some more information, i.e. I'm assuming that by 9.7 you mean the screen size - correct? If so, that can apply to the original iPad from 2010 up until last year - thus, what model to you own and what iOS is installed? Also what do you mean by 'disabled' - does it not turn on, is there a hardware issue, like the screen appearance or a button(s) not working, or other - I'm completely 'in the dark' as to your problem. Finally, have you tried to 'hard reset' the device (directions will depend on your model, but once known a simple google w/ provide directions). Dave

OP
F

frankpatterson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

If you use iCloud Photos, login to www.icloud.com via browser on a computer, go to the Photos folder and save the images to your computer.

Hi Johanna. and Dave,

When I try logging into icloud, I am prompted with "A message with a verification code has been sent to your devices. Enter the code to continue."

When I try logging into my ipad, I am told "iPad is disabled. connect to iTunes". So I did a hard reset and am then prompted with "Update or Erase". Tried updating and nothing happens. If I erase, then everything is... erased and I can't recover my photos.

It's an iPad 9.7 6th gen, model A1893. It had iOS 11.3 at the time.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the iPad is disabled, updating won’t help. You’ll have to erase it. There’s no way to back it up or access the images, if you haven’t saved them somewhere else before.

Do you have another Apple device which can display the code, so that you can login to iCloud?

If that’s not possible, you’ll have to connect it to iTunes and erase it:
If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled
This will remove data as well as photos.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Johanna. and Dave,

When I try logging into icloud, I am prompted with "A message with a verification code has been sent to your devices. Enter the code to continue."

When I try logging into my ipad, I am told "iPad is disabled. connect to iTunes". So I did a hard reset and am then prompted with "Update or Erase". Tried updating and nothing happens. If I erase, then everything is... erased and I can't recover my photos.

It's an iPad 9.7 6th gen, model A1893. It had iOS 11.3 at the time.

Hi again - your iPad model is shown below (LINK) - the link will provide full specs; from my brief look, appears that the device came w/ iOS 11.x installed, so seems that you've done no iOS/iPadOS upgrades (current iPadOS is 13.3).

Since you are being asked for a 'verification code' you must have 2-FA (two-factor authentication) activated - correct? As stated by Johanna, the code can show up on other Apple devices that you've 'trusted' in the past (could be a Mac, iPhone, etc.). If her advice does not help you and you own a computer (either Mac or PC), then an app called iMazing might be able to see your iPad's Photos and recover then to an external drive (2nd image below) - now I use this app for an extra backup (in addition to the cloud & Finder now) and also for grabbing 'data' off my iPad for external storage - WILL it work w/ a 'disabled' iPad - I have no idea, sorry? The download is free (although may be limited) and/or you could contact the developer for comments? Good luck. Dave

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.13.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.22.24 PM.png

Most reactions