What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 5 to be thinner and lighter, could have iPad mini design specs

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Asharp said:
One writer at MacWorld predicts that Apple is going to shift to an October schedule for new iPads.

My target date to buy a new iPad is March, but if I get extremely ruthless about storage, maybe I could last until then. It would be a definite stretch.

Sheesh, I hope so!!! This "new iPad every 2 weeks" is annoying. Makes it so obvious that they pushing for new sales, planned obsolescence.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A big selling point for Apple devices is they supposedly hold their value better than Android/PC devices. Friends of mine always explain away paying $1600 for a MacBook by saying they'll get a grand for it 2 years down the line (ignoring the fact I've owned 2 pc laptops in that time and still come out ahead...).

A faster upgrade cycle would gut used iPad values. A 1.5 year-old iPad that's one generation behind the current model is one thing - if it's 3 or 4 generations behind, that's quite another. Most people offset the cost of a new iDevices by selling their old ones. Apple will cut into their own sales if people become reluctant to close a larger price gap to upgrade.

Look like they need to change their ways.

andytvcams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sheesh, I hope so!!! This "new iPad every 2 weeks" is annoying. Makes it so obvious that they pushing for new sales, planned obsolescence.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF
I am happy with the idea of a October/November release it would bring the ipad to a once a year launch. Its the right time to catch the Christmas buyer and for those wishing to update their ipad from the one they bought last November would guarantee a good resale value. However if Apple do launch a new model in March that will be their third in twelve months and for me that just makes Apple another tablet maker nothing more nothing less.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought the iPad I now have (an iPad 2) because it was the only one I could afford (32GB), but that storage capacity was a problem almost immediately.

I want my second iPad to be the latest model with the greatest storage capacity available because I don't plan to buy another one after that until my second one"croaks." And the Apple devices I've bought have lasted several years longer than published estimates.

I'd be annoyed if Apple came out with a radically different iPad every six months because then I'd be worried about the obsolescence of my own, but I don't see upgrades like the iPad 4 vs. the iPad 3 as especially important at least for my needs. I still use my second generation iPod Touch, for example. It was the latest at the time of purchase and had the greatest storage capacity of the ones available. It works just fine and I could care less about the latest version of that device.

Sarvesh869

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
deepknowhow.com
Would be Better to have external ports for card reading, HDMI support, USB support, etc. It could then take the sales for the other brand tablets also.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Asharp said:
I bought the iPad I now have (an iPad 2) because it was the only one I could afford (32GB), but that storage capacity was a problem almost immediately.

I want my second iPad to be the latest model with the greatest storage capacity available because I don't plan to buy another one after that until my second one"croaks." And the Apple devices I've bought have lasted several years longer than published estimates.

I'd be annoyed if Apple came out with a radically different iPad every six months because then I'd be worried about the obsolescence of my own, but I don't see upgrades like the iPad 4 vs. the iPad 3 as especially important at least for my needs. I still use my second generation iPod Touch, for example. It was the latest at the time of purchase and had the greatest storage capacity of the ones available. It works just fine and I could care less about the latest version of that device.

But, your device doesn't become obsolete just because they release another one. It just means that there is an updated model out there, that's all. A car from 2012 won't quit running when the 2013 models come out. I understand the sentiment but it really doesn't apply. The iPad 2 has a looooooooong way t go yet before its truly obsolete.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand the sentiment but it really doesn't apply. The iPad 2 has a looooooooong way t go yet before its truly obsolete.

I'd say the function of any iPad is significantly reduced when it can no longer run the current version of iOS. That time is fast approaching for the iPad 2.

You may disagree, saying - quite reasonably - that it will still do all the things it did before, but the problem is that the app makers always move up to the latest version as well, and then things get dicey.

andytvcams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But, your device doesn't become obsolete just because they release another one. It just means that there is an updated model out there, that's all. A car from 2012 won't quit running when the 2013 models come out. I understand the sentiment but it really doesn't apply. The iPad 2 has a looooooooong way t go yet before its truly obsolete.

Totally agree. Or to look at it from another angle Apple are still selling the iPad 2.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
epb said:
I'd say the function of any iPad is significantly reduced when it can no longer run the current version of iOS. That time is fast approaching for the iPad 2.

You may disagree, saying - quite reasonably - that it will still do all the things it did before, but the problem is that the app makers always move up to the latest version as well, and then things get dicey.

You think it's close to not running the latest OS? I can't see why. It might not get certain features or whatever but that still seems off a ways to me. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part. Ill be rather disappointed if that happens soon. From a hardware standpoint, it still works like a dream.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As far as I know, the first car I ever drove is still not obsolete, because it would still get me from point A to B. That doesn't mean I still want to drive that car.

For me, it would be a question of reliability. Would that car be as reliable as when newish? No. Neither is my iPad 2. It's increasingly showing its age in slowness and crashes. That's why I'll semi-retire it or give it away sooner than later at this point.

Like with cars, YMMV. We see people driving old cars as well as new ones every day -- it's a matter of what kind of performance you want from your car (or device).

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You think it's close to not running the latest OS? I can't see why. It might not get certain features or whatever but that still seems off a ways to me. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part. Ill be rather disappointed if that happens soon. From a hardware standpoint, it still works like a dream.

The iPad 1 can't run iOS6, but long before that things were starting to run annoyingly slow - the app updates for the newer versions of iOS were always optimized for the new iPads with faster chips and more RAM, and my first gen was overwhelmed. Heck, I had misgivings about taking my iPad 3 up to 6.0 - I can't imagine trying to run iOS7 on it, anymore than I'd try to run Windows 7 on my old 486-100Mhz laptop (it's still running Windows 95, actually).

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
s2mikey said:

I thought that's what I wrote: That the models are in fact just upgrades and not obsolete. Sorry for any confusion! That's what I get for being long winded. LOL

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Asharp said:
I thought that's what I wrote: That the models are in fact just upgrades and not obsolete. Sorry for any confusion! That's what I get for being long winded. LOL

That's what I get for not reading it thoroughly. All good :)

Most reactions

Latest posts