What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4/iOS 10 Storage Mystery

OlegLions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi:

I own iPad 4 with iOS 10.3.3 installed. Device information tells me that out of 13.05 GB total (it is a 16GB model) only 1.37 GB are free. However, when I add together all space occupied by all programs (and their data), it all adds up only to 1.8GB. So my question is - what occupies 9.67GB of storage space and can any of them be freed up? I ran diagnostics with a third-party software and it says that only 200MB are occupied by temp files.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
...I own iPad 4 with iOS 10.3.3 installed. Device information tells me that out of 13.05 GB total (it is a 16GB model) only 1.37 GB are free. However, when I add together all space occupied by all programs (and their data), it all adds up only to 1.8GB. So my question is - what occupies 9.67GB of storage space and can any of them be freed up? I ran diagnostics with a third-party software and it says that only 200MB are occupied by temp files.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) First, noticed that despite having a 16GB model, your total available space is only 13GB, i.e. the 'lost' storage is in part being used by iOS, plus there is an 'Other' category in storage bar graphs that relate to other system files, caches, and categories not included elsewhere - see the images below from my iPad Air2 (on iOS 12.0) (first pic from my iPad's Preferences & second from the iMazing app on my laptop w/ the iDevice cabled) - note my remaining storage (about the same). There is no way that all of 'items' on your iPad add up to just 1.8GB - tell us how you calculated this amount and if possible, post a screen capture from your iPad showing the storage stats.

Second, you purchased the minimum storage available, i.e. 16 GB - a mistake in my mind w/ today's needs, e.g. photos, music, etc., BUT your iPad 4G is at the maximum iOS possible (10.3.3), so no need to upgrade which would not be possible w/ the storage left on your device - I would suggest googling 'how to reduce iPad/iPhone storage' and follow the suggestions - I'm sure that you can recover some of that space. Good luck - Dave :)
IMG_3694.PNG
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 5.56.47 PM.png

Most reactions