What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 3G that needs itunes connection every time turned on

n1ck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

i have a couple of ipads. the wifi one works great but i have a problem with the 3g one. Since the very first days it often show the screen with the cable and say that needs connection to itunes when it is turned on, also from stand by.
sometimes it is enough to connect to itunes and it comes back. sometimes it needs a complete software download to work again (losing obviously all data stored) :(

i heard somewhere i am not the only one with this problem, but i have not yet any solution.

do you have experienced anything like that?

thanx

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read just about every thread on this forum and have never seen that issue come up, though that doesn't mean someone else doesn't have the same problem. I would honestly take it back asap and show them.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I would exchange it for a new one.

Have you jailbroken it? If so did you use the spirit jailbreak?
If its jailbroken with spirit and is doing this this could mean apple has updated the rom on new iPads to stop the unteatherd jailbreak methods used in spirit.

There are a VERY small percent of people that have this happen with non jailbroken iPads. (I have only heard of one or two people with this issue).

OP
N

n1ck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
actually never jailbroken it.
i guess it's a factory problem but the fact is that i am not sure if it is hardware, i do still think it is only related to software.

i was thinking about two possibilities: jailbreak it or wait for new iOS version.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
im thinking is data corruption. you may have a bad harddrive in your ipad.

when the ipad is connected to itunes they communicate with eachother and also to the cell carrier and itunes activates the device. This activation info is stored to the ipad. Your ipad keeps forgetting that it has been connected and activated.

Sort of like a bad USB flash drive. I have seen them go bad where you can store stuff on them and then you check a few days later and the drive still works but all the data is gone and no longer showing. SD camera cards do this as well.

Last edited:
OP
N

n1ck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you could be right
the activation seems to be forgotten every now and then, even if the result is not always the same. most of the times it is enough to connect ipad to pc and even before itunes start ipad works fine again. in other moments the only way to start ipad again is doing a complete factory reset from the pc.

jb81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same Problem - ipad always tries to connect to itunes

I've attempted to unsuccessfully restore my iPad with both a PC and MAC, and it continues to ask to connect to iTunes. It has actually worked 2 times, but upon subsequent uses, it will show a photo of the USB cord pointing towards iTunes. Calling Apple now - what a hassle...

Most reactions

Latest posts