What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G in India with MicroSim!!

abhishek2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I got my iPad delivered a few days back..

I'm facing a slight issue with connecting to 3G network.

Firstly I D.I.Y'ed a Micro-Sim from a Mini Sim (of MTNL Delhi). Works with EDGE services perfectly.. Problem is when I toggle 3G with SB Settings and open safari I get the error 'could not activate network services'.

I made a 'adaptor' using an old card and managed to put the same sim in a iPhone 3GS, the 3G worked perfectly with APN settings : pps3g, mtnl, mtnl123. Tried on the iPad but failed.. Any ideas where I'm going wrong. Could it be MTNL blocking iPad's imei's!? Btw EDGE also only works with the above APN settings on the iPad. Any kind of help would be appreciated..

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly I D.I.Y'ed a Micro-Sim from a Mini Sim (of MTNL Delhi). Works with EDGE services perfectly.. Problem is when I toggle 3G with SB Settings and open safari I get the error 'could not activate network services'.

I made a 'adaptor' using an old card and managed to put the same sim in a iPhone 3GS, the 3G worked perfectly with APN settings : pps3g, mtnl, mtnl123. Tried on the iPad but failed.. Any ideas where I'm going wrong. Could it be MTNL blocking iPad's imei's!? Btw EDGE also only works with the above APN settings on the iPad. Any kind of help would be appreciated..

I found the following setup, although I'm pretty sure you know them already. Otherwise, try another SIM, maybe this one is too "old".

Profile name: mtnl

Dial up no. : *99#

User name : mtnl

Password : mtnl123

APN: Please select the APN based on the service you have subscribed:

Service name: APN

2G GPRS (Postpaid): gprsmtnldel

3G postpaid: mtnl3g

HSDPA postpaid: mtnlhsdpa

Example: If a postpaid customer wants to have Data downloading through 3G APN he will select APN as mtnl3g.

OP
A

abhishek2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks kheldour, the sim is brand new, branded as Pre-Paid MTNL 3G Jadoo which is already 3G activated.

The dial-up *99# you mentioned, where do I add it? Afaik there is no option for that.

Different APN's for different services

Modification in Data Usage rates and Data coupons

Personally using pps3g APN

I may add. The 3G connection works perfectly on the iPhone 3GS with the same sim with APN pps3g.

Also checked on another iPad, same problem.

Tried re-setting network settings

The thing I can't understand is how come 3G is working on the iPhone and not on the iPad.

Only one explanation I can think of is MTNL doesn't recognise iPad's on 3G mode. EDGE gives me no problems whatsoever.

Any other suggestions?

Btw thanks pik0 loving the iPad already..

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid, that the 3G-radio in the iPad is more sensitive to the cutted SIM, than the "older" iPhones.

Can you try with a different SIM?

Ujjwal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe Locked to AT&T

@ abhishek
do you think by any chance this problem is of the IPAD being locked to AT&T...I guess you will need to jail break it... but in that case you shouldn't be able to access the EDGE as well.

I had the IPAD Wifi...got stolen :-( do you recommend the 3g as the next buy..the micro sim issue makes me apprehensive..

thanks in anticipation to your response.

OP
A

abhishek2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ujjwal.. Firstly the iPad is NOT locked to any network.

The micro sim is nothing but a smaller version of the normal sim we use.

You will need to DIY, there are many guides online.

It actually worked today at my office with the same sim card from MTNL with speeds hovering around 1mbps (surprisingly out of all the places but in Faridabad!!!). Still doesn't work here in South Delhi. So there is definitely something wrong with MTNL. But hoping it might be fixed very soon.

I would suggest buying the 3G. Given we'll have more companies offering the services by September.

Sorry to hear about the iPad being stolen. But can't help asking.. How the hell did you manage to get your iPad stolen??? (given the size).

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Hi ujjwal.. Firstly the iPad is NOT locked to any network.

The micro sim is nothing but a smaller version of the normal sim we use.

You will need to DIY, there are many guides online.

It actually worked today at my office with the same sim card from MTNL with speeds hovering around 1mbps (surprisingly out of all the places but in Faridabad!!!). Still doesn't work here in South Delhi. So there is definitely something wrong with MTNL. But hoping it might be fixed very soon.

I would suggest buying the 3G. Given we'll have more companies offering the services by September.

Sorry to hear about the iPad being stolen. But can't help asking.. How the hell did you manage to get your iPad stolen??? (given the size).

Wow! That's great news I use the 3G when I drive around to see the real time map display. Great way to see any traffic up ahead and drive around it... :)

I ask also, how did the iPad get stolen?!?! I guard mine at every moment and never trust anyone with it. It's too expensive and too attractive to allow anything else.

Otherwise, they should have signed up for MobileMe and do the Find My iPad thingy. At $100 a year, me.com is great theft/recovery insurance... :)

Piko

Ujjwal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad

Dont ask guys...it got stolen from my car.. i moved out of my car for just a minute and my laptop bag was in my backseat, hidden behind dark tints...when i came back i saw my car window broken and my bag stolen...so i lost my laptop and my ipad both at the same time.

i wonder if just any random thief can get it operational without re formatting it..it was password locked.

the Mobile me idea is good but now that its gone...what do you guys think can be done????

thanks for the advice though...

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
At least report it to Apple right away. So if they try to get services, the serial number will reflect the stolen status. Unless you had already set it up with a mobile me account and activated the find-my-ipad feature, you can't find it that way.

Since you had already locked it up, the only way they can use it is to wipe it. So at least you won't risk losing any of your data on the device.

What part of the world were you in when it happened?

vikasmal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same sim problem

HI Abhishek,

I have the same problem. Could not activate network services inspite of the full bars signal and the 3g sign on.

Used the same settings, pps3g and mtnl plus mtnl123

Did you manage to solve your problem? Thanks.

I am in Central Delhi and tried it there.

Cheers, Vikas

Hello all,

I got my iPad delivered a few days back..

I'm facing a slight issue with connecting to 3G network.

OP
A

abhishek2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: I have tested the 3G services in Haryana (Faridabad & Gurgaon) works properly, shows IN-DOLPHIN 3G and works with speeds upto 1mbps. (most probably with BSNL)

In Delhi 3G doesn't work on the iPad but works with any other 3G device (N97, iPhone 3GS etc). I feel MTNL has to update the imei's of iPad's into their system whereas BSNL has already done that (being pan-india and MTNL in only 2 cities).

Note: Here MTNL refers to MTNL Delhi only I'm not sure about Mumbai, all the tests have been done with the same MTNL 3G Jadoo pre-paid card.

vikasmal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh that sucks, cant believe we cant use MTNL's 3G in Delhi and can only use it outside Delhi. What is the solution? Do we all need to write to MTNL and ask them to update the IMEI's of the iPad?

Thanks. Cheers, Vikas.

Update: I have tested the 3G services in Haryana (Faridabad & Gurgaon) works properly, shows IN-DOLPHIN 3G and works with speeds upto 1mbps. (most probably with BSNL)

In Delhi 3G doesn't work on the iPad but works with any other 3G device (N97, iPhone 3GS etc). I feel MTNL has to update the imei's of iPad's into their system whereas BSNL has already done that (being pan-india and MTNL in only 2 cities).

Note: Here MTNL refers to MTNL Delhi only I'm not sure about Mumbai, all the tests have been done with the same MTNL 3G Jadoo pre-paid card.

vikasmal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE: Finally brought my Ipad to work (at Okhla in New Delhi) and thought of trying to see if my modded MTNL Sim 3G Jaddoo card would work and guess what?????????? Works like magic, incredible download speeds, (similar to what I get at home with my 1Mbps airtel connection) and its super fast.

But why it doesnt work at my residence (central delhi) I have no idea. Maybe its because the Okhla area latches on to the BSNL network? No idea.

Either way, at least Okhla is one area it works in, dont know about the rest of Delhi though.

Cheers.

Oh that sucks, cant believe we cant use MTNL's 3G in Delhi and can only use it outside Delhi. What is the solution? Do we all need to write to MTNL and ask them to update the IMEI's of the iPad?

Thanks. Cheers, Vikas.

Most reactions

Latest posts