What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G in India with MicroSim!!

Ankoor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 3g 64gb is not working with airtel DIY microsim ?

Airtel signal coming, edge logo coming, apn settings airtelgprs.com but still Internet not working .

Ankoor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad 3g airtel not working ??

can somebody please help me and my number is 9810004943

adityab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, just found this forum. Bought my Ipad to delhi, and bought a mtnl 3g dolphin card. cut it up, put it in. despite my best efforts it does not work. If you managed to make it work for you (even in odd locations) - Could you please share the settings you used or other tech which you managed to get it to work with?
thanks!!!

VIJAY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI..

Just did everything as posted by all of you.. Got a new MTNL 3G Jadoo prepaid.. Converted DIY micro sim.. updated the APN's etc.... The network shows 5 bars.. In-Dolphin 3G... But the bowser keeps saying,"could not connect/activate cellular/data network"...

Can somebody please help!!!!

sologroup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same here.... The Ipad springs into life moment I cross over to Gurgaon But in Delhi at Sainik Farms it does not connect despite full signal...

vikasmal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same Here

HI same here,

MTNL Sim cut and put in Ipad.
Full signal, 3g sign but cant access network in Delhi.
Works in Okhla and Noida
Suspect MTNL's network doesnt support IPad but BSNL"s does so the moment it catches the BSNL network on the outskirts of the city, it starts to work.

:-(

sologroup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI same here,

MTNL Sim cut and put in Ipad.
Full signal, 3g sign but cant access network in Delhi.
Works in Okhla and Noida
Suspect MTNL's network doesnt support IPad but BSNL"s does so the moment it catches the BSNL network on the outskirts of the city, it starts to work.

:-(

My iPad just started working aft crossing over into gurgaon. Wonder what the issue is? Is it to do with imei ? I cannot acceptg that it is something to do with iPad - these things are protocol based and not hardware.
Any idea if iPhone Or other 3G users have the same problem or is it specific to ad only ?

awadhesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

After a long intervall of R&D finally my IPAD on mtnl 3g network works and i got speed of around 512 Kbps in delhi for download and 256 Kbps for upload. it works on mtnl 3g jadoo card. :)

adityab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Care to share?

Glad to see someone got their ipad to work...could you please share the R&Ded settings?
Thanks!!!

ChrisH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Congrats on getting it to work, I suspect someone at MTNL may have just turned a switch. I'm now getting access to their network with 3G on an iPhone 3GS in South Delhi, where I wasn't a week ago, starting, I think, around Monday night. Can anyone who is using regular top-ups with MTNL (as opposed to Jadoo top-ups) let me know if it is working with them and what seems to be the actual, rather than just web-posted (theoretical) cost per MB? Let's hope this lasts!

sologroup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPAD working on MTNL Jadoo

I 2nd ChrisH. Even I have started getting internet on Ipad where I was not getting earlier in South Delhi. I get near in Neb Sarai near Saket, Chattarpur, intermittently on MG road to Gurgaon etc.

But I do not get it in Sainik Farms near IGNOU - where I live:-(

Wonder how can MTNL offer this service selectively ?? or does it require upgrades at their towers and so it is rolling out slowly ????

Sandeep

ChrisH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it, sologroup. I assume that you get the 3G network where you are, if you put it into another phone (say a Nokia)? I'm no engineer, but I guess MTNL needs to switch tower by tower to allow the IMEIs of the iPhone (or the iOS) to work. Strange that this isn't done carrier-wide automatically. I can't understand why this wouldn't work for you near IGNOU, because further south, of course, in Haryana (eg Gurgaon), on BSNL it seems to be up and running.

I just put in an MTNL Trump 3G Jadoo card (activated but no Rs on it) where a nail file in cutting the SIM came in handy. It would not work, error message. Changed the APN settings, then got a slightly different error message. Then ran the 49 Rs Activation Coupon, and topped up with a 300 regular Trump Top up (using a basic Nokia to do so, gotta love their SIM holder, perfect for this ;), and voilà! Success. iPad and iPhone 3GS running at about the same speed on the IN-DOLPHIN 3G network, which varies from 100 to about 400 Kbps, around Mathura Road in South Delhi. Strangely, I often get better upload speeds than download.

udrrek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 3G MTNL Prepaid

Hey everybody

Well got my MTNL 3G chip yesterday morning. Chopped it into a microsim. Put it into a microsim to sim convertor and tried activating it.

It said your number has been temperorily blocked. Almost got a heart attack.

Anyways waited for a few hours tried again at 4 (Dialled 400) and voila it got activated.

Recharged the data pack on 444

Called the customer care - 1503 took the apn settings:

APN: pps3g
Username : mtnl
Password: mtnl123

And boy i was off. Well it was working fine at Lajpat Nagar, Greater Kailash 2 and Dhaula Kuan. The download speed is about 250-300 kbps and upload speed is about 350 kbps. Not fast but its a start.

Is there anybody with a postpaid here? Is the speed any different?

Btw was very surprised at how fast i got this thing up and running. (Almost too good to be true)

awadhesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
APN setting mtnl 3G jadoo

I have taken the 3g Jadoo Prepaid card by paying a amount of Rs.149. Once it activated I triyed it on my Nokia N95 but it didn't work and i triyed to tke the help of mtnl custome care but there customer care sucks. worst cusatomer care they hangup the call, they are unable to fix the problem every time you describe the problem they say " setting bhej deti houn, save kar lena aur phone switch off kar ke start karana, 25-30 min. bad chal jayega" but end result is zero.

now here is APN setting wich works for me:
apn:gprsppsdel
user name: mtnl
password mtnl123

I have triyed with APN pps3g but it says packet data connection not available. the avobe setting works for me i have triyed this in gurgaon also it works.

but be sure to recharge the card with any Prepaid 3G Data Coupons.

ChrisH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More info re iPad on MTNL 3G

A few pieces of information:

1. Balance checking for the amount of data left on a prepaid MTNL SIM using 3G is best done, I think, by putting the cut sim into another phone, such as a Nokia. Dial *400# (sending request), and you should receive 2 SMS messages back within a minute. The first SMS gives "talk" time remaining and end date, the second gives the volume in bytes remaining (and video call time remaining, for what it's worth). To receive such information in the second, of course, you will need to have topped up with a 3G Jadoo card. If you call 444 instead, you don't receive the information about data left, although you get all other information (including a mistake in the transcription of minutes to seconds on the video call time left).

2. The price per MB seems the same for Postpaid and Prepaid 3G top ups.

3. Delhi MTNL's site says that there is no extra roaming charge for getting onto related networks (BSNL or MTNL Mumbai) for postpaid, but it provides no information about prepaid. I'm guessing the answer is the same for prepaid, though. Can anyone confirm?

4. At the low end of 3G Jadoo top-ups, there is not much advantage in using a top-up card (around 1.3 MB per rupee) over the "regular" top up card rate of 10 KB per paise (which is 1 MB per rupee) which can always be used for 3G service as well. The amount of MBs per rupee changes significantly as you go up, to eventually 10 MB per rupee, and of course "infinity" at 1800 Rs.

5. Wow, does 3G draw battery power from the iPad, much more than video or graphics use! It's still a fantastic battery, but 3G drains more than I had thought, it would.

Most reactions

Latest posts