What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad Virus

Ben9796

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last night I was looking at wallpaper sites on google on my ipad and found one so I clicked on it. It took me to the wallpaper site and 3seconds after I clicked on it all these windows popped up on my ipad mini (like 20 which isn't even possible) and they all showed different IP addresses I'm the address bar so I exit out of all of them and a thing pops up saying I need to update my iOS device's safari browser,so me thinking "nothing could possibly go wrong because apple said there's no way an unjailbroken ipad can get a virus I click on it and wifi and Internet goes off on my ipad as soon as I do that and it messed Internet up where I couldn't use it on my ipad and I did a restore off my ipad and it seems to have gone away because I can use Internet and do everything just fine now. But I want to warn people about this new virus.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AS that was this posters only post and he/she has not responded maybe we have had a visit from a troll?? :(

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
AS that was this posters only post and he/she has not responded maybe we have had a visit from a troll?? :(

LOL ;) Well, I was going to respond to this post yesterday w/ the same implication - I doubt that we'll see a return visit w/ that nom de plume - :)

BUT, just to make a few comments: 1) Virus is the wrong term for what is described, so first problem; 2) Real 'viruses' execute, replicate, and spread - yes a type of malware (w/ a specific definition) but there are many others; and 3) Scareware or whatever appeared that supposedly 'knock out' Wi-Fi etc. is also dubious. At the most (which I also doubt), there was a browser hijack (or re-direction) - some excellent info HERE on that topic. Dave

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it is a valid post, then it sounds more like scareware than a virus. Scareware, for those not familiar with the term, are specially crafted web sites designed to scare you into loading virus protection or some other security apps. The apps usually turn out to be trojans, inflicting the very problems they are supposed to be warning you about.

When encountering these, just close out the page and close/restart Safari or the iPad. At the worst, simply clearing your cookies and data in Safari's settings should take care of this.

----------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We seem to have gotten a couple of these posts recently.

Thank you Giradman and Twerppoet for explaining what could be happening here!

Scareware indeed!

Most reactions

Latest posts