What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 camera suddenly stops working

Martina Bovell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new iPad 3 and after 3 weeks the camera has stopped working. I had taken 1500 photos in that timespan.
I bought the iPad in Australia and am travelling in Europe. It went bust whist in Italy, with a TIM network sim card installed.

I have searched forums. No similar problem reported.
I have deleted photos from the 'photos' app in case it is an 'over storage' issue, although I don't se why this should affect things, seeing it's a 64gb iPad.
I can still post to FB and send via email the photos that I have already taken: I.e the photos already taken are still there and 'Photos' still functions.

When I tap 'camera', the screen is black/blank.

Very annoying.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried switching between the front and rear cameras, if both are blank it is unlikely that it would be a hardware fault as the chances of both cameras breaking at the same time would be really slim.

The Archangel

OP
M

Martina Bovell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 3 camera starts working again

Thanks for that, Gabriel 1, but this morning, on tapping camera, lo and behold! It functioned correctly and I have been snapping away happily all day. This is two days after it stopped working.

It wasn't possible to test your solution of testng the reverse camera as the whole camera app was not working - to get to the reverse camera, the whole camera itself had to activate/open.

the whole thing is a bit of a mystery.

webpreacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with camera screen going blank, could take pictures 'while' screen remained blank, I fixed the problem by "rebooting" ipad like you would a Laptop, go into your settings / general / scroll down to "reset", then follow instructions, as you did when setting up the iPad New, you won't loose any data, and that should fix the problem?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
webpreacher said:
I had a similar problem with camera screen going blank, could take pictures 'while' screen remained blank, I fixed the problem by "rebooting" ipad like you would a Laptop, go into your settings / general / scroll down to "reset", then follow instructions, as you did when setting up the iPad New, you won't loose any data, and that should fix the problem?

Rebooting is easier than that. Hold power and home buttons until apple logo appears.

Most reactions

Latest posts