What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2

ferr5175

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to get free wifi when I am out without jail breaking my iPhone or anything else? Hate the fact that most places I can not really use my iPad when I'm out because of no wifi!!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jail breaking and wifi are unrelated.

You can only get free wifi if you are in a location where someone has put up a wifi router and allows access...

Most coffee shops and fast food places now offer free wifi, as do hotel lobbys and libraries...

-t

OP
F

ferr5175

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most places I go have secured wifi. Is there any other way possible?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Only if you want to bring a wifi connection with you by tethering your phone, or using mifi or something similar.

There is no simple way to simply crack the security of every wifi router you encounter...

-t

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most places I go have secured wifi. Is there any other way possible?

It sounds like to me what you want to do is use your iPhone as a wireless hotspot, which isn't going to happen unless; a) you pay an extra tethering fee each month to your wireless carrier, b) jailbreak your iPhone and download either one of these two tethering apps from Cydia; MyWi ($19.99), or PDANet (free). I jailbroke my iPhone 4 and am using the free PDANet tethering app from Cydia which allows me to use my iPad 2 when I'm out and about with no WiFi access.

OP
F

ferr5175

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't tether because it is a extra monthly fee for that when u have AT&T like me. Plus I will lose my unlimited data plan. I guess there is no way out of this situation.

OP
F

ferr5175

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there apps that can get me free wifi no matter where I am?

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please read the rules.... Pretty soon you can get into stuff that you should not be talking.

iFrog - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't tether because it is a extra monthly fee for that when u have AT&T like me. Plus I will lose my unlimited data plan. I guess there is no way out of this situation.

True, if you switch to the tethering plan with AT&T, you would lose your unlimited data plan. However, you lose nothing by jailbreaking and using the PDANet app. There is a switch that you can turn on in that app, that hides the fact that you are tethering with your iPhone.

Why do you not want to jailbreak?

OP
F

ferr5175

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Irish Rose said:
True, if you switch to the tethering plan with AT&T, you would lose your unlimited data plan. However, you lose nothing by jailbreaking and using the PDANet app. There is a switch that you can turn on in that app, that hides the fact that you are tethering with your iPhone.

Because I don't want to accidentally damage my phone, plus I won't be able to update anymore if I jailbreak.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Irish Rose said:

Because I don't want to accidentally damage my phone, plus I won't be able to update anymore if I jailbreak.

Not true. And of course you can update.

Most reactions