What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 5.1.1 jailbreak tethering help please!

Nrth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to this fourm as well new the the ipad world. So here is my problem:

I have an iphone 4s and an Ipad 2. My iphone 4s has service provided by att and my ipad is wifi and had the capability to connect with 3g but normally just use it at home via wifi. Anyway I am trying to tether it to work with my phone.

So this morning I jail broke my ipad 2 in which I got cydia as well mywi however have no idea how to get my ipad to connect to the phones service? Again I am very new to everything but didnt know if I had to jail break my phone in order for this to work or if I could just do my ipad? Please is someone could lead me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks for your time!

lyndon419

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What web site did u go or how did u jailbreak your iPad 2 5.1 I'm having trouble jail breaking my iPad 2 5.1

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to this fourm as well new the the ipad world. So here is my problem:

I have an iphone 4s and an Ipad 2. My iphone 4s has service provided by att and my ipad is wifi and had the capability to connect with 3g but normally just use it at home via wifi. Anyway I am trying to tether it to work with my phone.

So this morning I jail broke my ipad 2 in which I got cydia as well mywi however have no idea how to get my ipad to connect to the phones service? Again I am very new to everything but didnt know if I had to jail break my phone in order for this to work or if I could just do my ipad? Please is someone could lead me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks for your time!

You install MyWi on your iPhone4S, start up the app and activate WiFi hotspot tethering, then connect your iPad to the wifi hotspot which MyWi creates. Then your iPad will utilise your iPhone4S 3G data connection.

Hope that helps.

OP
N

Nrth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So then I jail broke the wrong thing? I need to jailbreak my phone and not the ipad in order to use my ipad off my phones service. I cannot do it the other way around?

W0lfgang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MyWi enables the generation of a new Wifi hotspot on the device on which it is installed. Since you want to share your iPhones At&T signal so that your iPad can use it to access the internet, you will have to jailbreak your iPhone and install MyWi as indicated above to generate a new Wifi signal from your IPhone. It is this new wifi to which your Ipad can then hook up to.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, as W0lfgang says, if you don't have native tethering on your iPhone, but want to tether other devices to it to use the 3G data allowance you already pay for, you need to jailbreak the iPhone and install MyWi. You can then connect your iPad to the hotspot it creates. There is no need to modify the iPad in any way in this scenario.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But how like what web site

You can jail break the iPad2 on iOS 5.1.1 using the steps outlined here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=77390

Nrth - you can use the same method to jail break your phone. It's a universal jail break. Then, you can use it for tethering. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the iPad jail break, however. That'll be fun, also... :)

Marilyn

OP
N

Nrth

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yup, as W0lfgang says, if you don't have native tethering on your iPhone, but want to tether other devices to it to use the 3G data allowance you already pay for, you need to jailbreak the iPhone and install MyWi. You can then connect your iPad to the hotspot it creates. There is no need to modify the iPad in any way in this scenario.

So I am trying to jailbreak my phone now however greenposion is asking me to delete a backup password in itunes. I tried to uncheck the encrypt box in which I have to type in a password which I have no password for it. I have tried 0000 and 1234 but nothing any ideas? I do not want to lose my stuff on my phone. I have already backed the phone up but little afraid right now

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I am trying to jailbreak my phone now however greenposion is asking me to delete a backup password in itunes. I tried to uncheck the encrypt box in which I have to type in a password which I have no password for it. I have tried 0000 and 1234 but nothing any ideas? I do not want to lose my stuff on my phone. I have already backed the phone up but little afraid right now

The backup password you provided to iTunes is particular to you. It is not turned on by default, so you must have provided it. It's not linked to the passcode lock password you have on the device. It is completely separate. There is no way for me to guess it for you I'm afraid. If you have forgotten it, your backup is pretty much useless. There really is little point to encrypting your iTunes backup unless you are concerned about the security of your PC, but the critical thing is that if you create a password to encrypt the backup, you do need to remember it! Try passwords you might commonly use for the PC (i.e. the same one you use to logon).

OP
N

Nrth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The backup password you provided to iTunes is particular to you. It is not turned on by default, so you must have provided it. It's not linked to the passcode lock password you have on the device. It is completely separate. There is no way for me to guess it for you I'm afraid. If you have forgotten it, your backup is pretty much useless. There really is little point to encrypting your iTunes backup unless you are concerned about the security of your PC, but the critical thing is that if you create a password to encrypt the backup, you do need to remember it! Try passwords you might commonly use for the PC (i.e. the same one you use to logon).

Thanks for the help, I was reading stuff online and they were saying you could just type in 000. I was lucky in that it was a random old password of mine and did work.

Thanks, Now I just have to figure out what I can all do with a jail broke phone...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I was reading stuff online and they were saying you could just type in 000. I was lucky in that it was a random old password of mine and did work.

Thanks, Now I just have to figure out what I can all do with a jail broke phone...

Glad you remembered your password! Don't forget we have a sister forum, iPhoneForums.net too! :D

Most reactions

Latest posts