What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 which Case and bluetooth keyboad for my son???

dochockey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help - my son has an IPAD 2 and I want to know what is the best case and keyboard for him. He uses it daily at school. So I would like to have any suggestions on the best case for protection and keyboard.

Thanks!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best resource to answer this question is the "search" facility on this website. There are a number of options available and there's no point repeating them all here. However, for anyone new to this topic here are some points to consider.

There are several cases that include a built-in bluetooth keyboard. Zagg is probably the best selling but there are numerous others with essentially the same functionality. On the other hand, there are products such as the InCase Origami Workstation that is actually a case for a keyboard and a stand for the iPad. In addition to the OW, Logitech makes a version of their own, similar in concept for less money. (The OW is about $30 and is designed to work with the Apple Wireless keyboard ($70). The Logitech has a keyboard and the case serves as an iPad stand for a total of $70.)

Depending on one's requirements one or the other approach is better. I like the OW approach for several reasons. Mainly because the Apple Wireless Keyboard is among the very best. It is near full size, is very durable, and has excellent key action. Logitech also makes very good keyboards and like the AWK, it is near full size. Each of these designs enable typing in either landscape or portrait orientation. The major disadvantage of the OW/Logitech design is that you still need a protective case for the iPad and a "bag" to hold both the keyboard case and the iPad. I use a small messenger bag from Timbuk2 or a Travel Express case from Waterfield Design. Each is portable enough for me since I carry other stuff most of the time (Timbuk2) and when I'm going to a professional meeting, the Travel Express bag is excellent protection for both the iPad and the OW and AWK.

The combination iPad/keyboard cases, on the other hand, are more compact. Because it's a case for both the keyboard and the iPad, you don't need another iPad case or a bag. But since the keyboard can only be as wide as the length of the iPad it can feel cramped if you're accustomed to a full size keyboard. In addition, in contrast to the OW/iPad combo, you will almost always have to carry the keyboard with the iPad unless you remove the iPad from the case. Some models enable removal of the keyboard from the case; some do not. And unlike the designs noted above, you'll probably be limited to typing in landscape mode. That may or may not be a problem despending on the content you're creating.

Finally, some of these cases are very inexpensive (e.g. less than $30) but I'd caution you about buying a cheap keyboard if it will be used a lot. A keyboard is the most "mechanical" accessory you'll use with an iPad. Mechanical stuff "wears out" if it's not well designed. And once a single key on a keyboard breaks, the keyboard is probably useless. For occasional typing (e.g. short emails, limited note taking), a cheap keyboard can be satisfactory. But if you're going to do a lot of content creation and you're a good touch typist, get a good keyboard. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts