What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 vs Ipad 3

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi I was going to to get a Ipad this weekend but I'm not sure I'd I should get an ipad 2 or just get a ipad 3. I planing playing games
And just to use it for college in the fall. I not in to taking pictures with it as I have a phone that does that lol

Any suggestions

Thanks magnum

Hello Makinnard, If you are starting school @ a University, you might want to check into the school's bookstore. You might qualify for the student discount offered by Apple. The discount is based on the product. As an example, the iPad2 was on sale (before the new iPad announced) for $100.00--off for all sizes and models. This is now the price for all iPad2 products--I suppose while supplies last. The iPad2 is a very good product even if the new iPad has better eeverything else. If you can wait, the new iPad may be available when school starts this fall.

If you are using it for college, the iPad2 will serve you well. But, if you are going to play games on it, then consider getting the new iPad. You have a wide range of products available. The key factor is how much can you afford to spend? By the way, if Apple's vision for school books gets adopted by Universities, the new iPad would fit well into that vision as text books really do look great on the retina screen.

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For electronics 95 is considered warmer than you would like.
This is plain wrong - there is no specification for general electronics - however processors run around 160 def F generally, and laptops generally measure around 122 def F. Some other types of equipment runs much hotter - but anything past 160 has to be insulated to prevent burning the operator.

You don't know the long term effects heat will have on the parts...processors burn out, the retna display could go haywire...Keep the temp in the low 80's is more comfortable.
mere uninformed speculation.

Here's an example: I have 2 Android tablets that I have rooted & install various ROMS on. Many of the ROMS allow you to overclock the processor. If you overclock too much you make the system unstable because of the heat it generates. So you have to back off a bit on the clock speed. When overclocked I don't let the temp go above 85...for MY TABLETS that seems to be the magic number. YMMV
Are you talking about processor temperature - in which case 80 would likely be in Celsius, not Fahrenheit?

Android tablets DO vary in temps...but AGAIN it was REPORTED that the new iPad is 10 degrees WARMER than it's competition
Please find me a reliable source where that was quoted - the only measurement that I have seen was that the new iPad gets as hot as the competition.

Which would have to be Android. I don't understand why you're getting all riled up when the facts are reported right here.
No one is riled up - I just don't want speculation to be mistaken for actual facts.

I am only reporting that news. You can believe what you want. Your iPad seems to be fine...if I were you I would wonder why some are having problems as well. But electronics are funny. There could be a bad batch or 2 and the rest are fine. All I know is what I observed was similar to the reports here. Relax..You have an iPad you're happy with...enjoy!

That is exactly the issue - even if there was one reported to have been running at 140 degrees F you cannot say that this is representative - in fact it would be mis-representative. It would be a problem with one, but in no way should that be taken as anything more than a small failure out of the total number that are out there. And this seems to be exactly what you are doing by insinuating that there are known problems that affect a great many new iPads. That is simply not fact.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LOL....I'm not twisting anything. Do you even understand electronics hardware & the effects heat has on it? Google is your friend. If one year from now the heat did not damage to the new iPads then I'm wrong. Over time will be the true test...go to the Nvidia forums, Intel or AMD forums...heat is discussed at an extreme level. When there is no cooling system (Fan) 95 degrees is close to detrimental. I hope I'm wrong. You boys/Ladies (sorry I don't know which...not trying to be funny) enjoy your iPad 3's...

Oh and then you may want to tell the mods that those threads I posted were not true so they can remove them ;-)

I have had my new iPad since Saturday, March 17th, played with it all weekend, and decided to return it. Not because it was hot but because the screen was showing a really odd light and dark pattern. I returned that iPad on Monday. My replacement iPad has been in daily use since Monday. It is as cool as my iPad 2, the retina screen is as good as everyone has reported. Battery performs as advertised. 4G data service is really fast. I have had no wifi problems.

So YES, I will and do enjoy my new iPad. I suppose my experience with my new iPad is unique to me? Can my experience be so unique that you cannot extrapolate from my one experience that the vast majority of new iPads are like mine? OR is the preponderance of reports in the news media regarding hot iPads, dropped wifi's, et cetera, etc. be the norm?

BTW, the moderators do monitor threads, so they are probably aware of this thread. They might take issue with the off topic nature of most of this thread, but the tit for tat has been entertaining. At least we did not degenerate into name calling.

I like reading about people's ideas and understanding--as long as we can exchange good and thoughtful replies, that is all for the good!

Last edited:

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android tablets DO vary in temps...but AGAIN it was REPORTED that the new iPad is 10 degrees WARMER than it's competition Which would have to be Android.
And if you'd looked into this at all, you'd see the ONLY "competition" that they had done tests against, was the iPad 2. The only Android device that is a real competitor to the new iPad is the Transformer Prime and my flatmates Prime runs just as warm as my new iPad. Why haven't they done tests against the Prime? Because it would end up about the same temp and people would realise it's not a big deal after all. Welcome to the internet. The number one source for misinformation. And you, like many others, fell for it. There is no "problem" with heat on the new iPad.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LOL....I'm not twisting anything. Do you even understand electronics hardware & the effects heat has on it? Google is your friend. If one year from now the heat did not damage to the new iPads then I'm wrong. Over time will be the true test...go to the Nvidia forums, Intel or AMD forums...heat is discussed at an extreme level. When there is no cooling system (Fan) 95 degrees is close to detrimental. I hope I'm wrong. You boys/Ladies (sorry I don't know which...not trying to be funny) enjoy your iPad 3's...

Oh and then you may want to tell the mods that those threads I posted were not true so they can remove them ;-)

My friend, you do not understand much about electronics whatsoever. A mere 15 deg at this temp range is meaningless. Devices are designed to operate fine over and range of temps. And iPad 3 is a different device than iPad 2 and thus its operating characteristics are totally different and you are in no position to judge anything. Do you know the difference between 95 deg C and 95 deg F?

Boy....

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mikespe said:
Apple DID say they are warmer. It WAS on the NEWS this past week. I never said that was in the article I posted. That was just to show the reports. Here is where they say it's "within acceptable levels (http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/68911-apple-statement-addresses-talk-new-ipad-running-hot.html ) AGAIN as I said...in the 90's is getting toward the TOP END where you really DON'T want to be. Even another member says that in this post.

Here is the WIFI complaints: http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/69092-some-new-ipad-users-complaining-poor-wi-fi-reception.html Again...I am sorry you guys are offended by my posts but until someone can post to the contrary with FACTS like I have then I have reported the truth.

Mike please let's keep this discussion on the right track repeating posts is really a waste of time. Yes some users have issues Majority do not.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if people have the money, they can just get the latest one or they'll likely keep questioning themselves. If you want to save the current US $100 for a brand new iPad 2 or even more on a refurb, it's not like the 2 is anything shabby. I may eventually get the 3 when the 4 is being released, but I got the 1 about 7 months into the game so didn't upgrade to a 2 until a month ago, knowing full well the 3 was coming out, and I could have opted for it and while I think the retina screen is beautiful, in my case not a game changer, though no argument that is IS a darn nice display the 3 has. My 2 may be an upgrade for me, but I also still have the 1 which is nothing shabby either and remains more than quite well liked by me. For me, the 3 isn't going to do anything hugely more than the 2-it would be the same difference for me so I enjoy my brand new 2.It wasn't about the money, just practicality, and the slimmer profile makes it even easier to tote to meetings.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure if there is a problem with them getting warmer or not, but heating up,is a big problem for many other electronics, so makes sense to,at least be opened minded about the possibility of a possible problem. Only time will,tell what the "extra" heat will do,or not do. Maybe they will be perfectly fine maybe not.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the iPad is still so new it is hard to say whether a 3 will have a substantially longer service life than a 2. It will have a better resale value down the road but that may not be important to you.

I doubt you will go wrong with either one of them. I own a 2 and a 3 and I have no immediate plans to upgrade the 2.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People need to realize that the iPad 3 is not the iPad 2. Thus, it has totally different characteristics. If it is operating within design constraints (as Apple said it is), it's not "heating up" at 116 degrees. There is no need to create worry in the minds of people over an issue like this. If the device went into a self-induced shutdown due to heat, then that is a totally different matter altogether.

Computer chips are not people, they can withstand much higher temps than what people preceive as "hot". Intel CPUs can easily withstand close to 100 deg C before they even shutdown due to reaching thermal limits. That is hot enough to boil water.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...If it is operating within design constraints (as Apple said it is), it's not "heating up" at 116 degrees. There is no need to create worry in the minds of people over an issue like this. ...

Just want to point out that no one has been able to replicate the consumer reports reported high temperature of 116 deg F, possibly they may have run the test in a 'hot room' to report temperatures that high. They have also reported the iPad2 temperature at 103 degrees, and no one gets that regularly. However the difference is consistent with other sites - most reporting that the new iPad 3 does get about 10 degrees hotter than the iPad2 in identical running conditions.

As you say - this is likely accounted for in the design of the device and I don't think anyone needs to worry as apple knew going in that they needed to make this device reliable, since if they end up failing due to heat apple will have a huge problem on it's hands considering how many of these things will be sold.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People need to realize that the iPad 3 is not the iPad 2. Thus, it has totally different characteristics. If it is operating within design constraints (as Apple said it is), it's not "heating up" at 116 degrees. There is no need to create worry in the minds of people over an issue like this. If the device went into a self-induced shutdown due to heat, then that is a totally different matter altogether.

Computer chips are not people, they can withstand much higher temps than what people preceive as "hot". Intel CPUs can easily withstand close to 100 deg C before they even shutdown due to reaching thermal limits. That is hot enough to boil water.

Agreed, different hardware will have different tolerances to heat. Also, like others have said the reports have been their iPad's getting warmer than they were used to in their iPad 2. They were not blazing hot to the point you could not even pick it up. Electronics produce heat and that is just the way it is.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zphone said:
Just want to point out that no one has been able to replicate the consumer reports reported high temperature of 116 deg F, possibly they may have run the test in a 'hot room' to report temperatures that high. They have also reported the iPad2 temperature at 103 degrees, and no one gets that regularly. However the difference is consistent with other sites - most reporting that the new iPad 3 does get about 10 degrees hotter than the iPad2 in identical running conditions.

As you say - this is likely accounted for in the design of the device and I don't think anyone needs to worry as apple knew going in that they needed to make this device reliable, since if they end up failing due to heat apple will have a huge problem on it's hands considering how many of these things will be sold.

I did a test on my own tablet and posted the results in a sub forum here. Putting the screen on 100% brightness for 26 minutes in a room at 81 deg got the back of my iPad to 111 deg F.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I did a test on my own tablet and posted the results in a sub forum here. Putting the screen on 100% brightness for 26 minutes in a room at 81 deg got the back of my iPad to 111 deg F.

Ok....don't see how to edit a post with this app....but it was 111 deg F in 34 minutes.

Most reactions

Latest posts