What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2,4 vs new iPad 3

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a 2 and now have a 3. I do not regret the upgrade. Screen is phenominal, battery life is amazing, and 4g is the future. I see my owning a 3 until it dies and it should still be relevant. Even the 2 would be, but even the latest update didn't have everything in it for the 2 that it had for the 3, so the device itself is hands down better.
But honestly, either way you won't regret it. I just think the 3 is worth the extra $100 new. I mean, if the previous version was half price, then maybe, but $100? Easy decision!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
charm said:
For those who still doubt the true importance of RAM ,just note that the iPad mini will have 1full GB of RAM or 4 times more than our iPad 1.
Buying any iPad without 1GB of RAM is buying obsolesce . My iPad 1 is fine for running one app at a time with all other apps closed and the screen is bigger than an iPhone but this just reminded me of why we insisted on window machines at work where my crew and I could easily upgrade RAM
But since apple has seen the light on all it's new products more work office may switch

It's certainly important but with the numerous users of the iPad 2 out there still trudging along you can still have a solid user experience with 512mb of RAM. At some point the apps and technology will pass the iPad 2 by but that's a ways off, IMO. Upgradable RAM would take care of this. Apple? Are you listening? :D

OP
B

Blu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I ended up buying an iPad 3 32gb in black. Then exchanged it.. Multiple times.. over a few days trying to get one without a severely discolored screen and one that was uniform. Tried several different retailers, different serial prefixes, tried not to be too picky but every unit had unacceptable flaws in the screen. All were pinkish or sightly green in areas, some more than others, and all had hue shifts that were very noticeable. I could get used to a pink hue but not a non uniform screen overall.

Extremely disappointed! I'm not the type to find flaws in every little thing, never even owned an ipad before but if I'm dropping over $600 they shouldnt have these problems. A few of the units even had scratches on the back corners. You would think after 6 months these problems would be resolved. Not really sure where to go from here. I'm wondering if they had a run of bad batches as they were all made in August or sept but I tried multiple serials so I don't know.. Maybe I will try a 2 after all but I did really like the higher resolution. Oh well!

Sorry to be a downer but I appreciate others time in replying to this thread. Best wishes,

blu

Last edited:

Frawick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blu said:
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I ended up buying an iPad 3 32gb in black. Then exchanged it.. Multiple times.. over a few days trying to get one without a severely discolored screen and one that was uniform. Tried several different retailers, different serial prefixes, tried not to be too picky but every unit had unacceptable flaws in the screen. All were pinkish or sightly green in areas, some more than others, and all had hue shifts that were very noticeable. I could get used to a pink hue but not a non uniform screen overall.

Extremely disappointed! I'm not the type to find flaws in every little thing, never even owned an ipad before but if I'm dropping over $600 they shouldnt have these problems. A few of the units even had scratches on the back corners. You would think after 6 months these problems would be resolved. Not really sure where to go from here. I'm wondering if they had a run of bad batches as they were all made in August or sept but I tried multiple serials so I don't know.. Maybe I will try a 2 after all but I did really like the higher resolution. Oh well!

Sorry to be a downer but I appreciate others time in replying to this thread. Best wishes,

blu

I suspect that you have had a very non-typical experience in trying to purchase an iPad. Have you tried a real Apple Store in your area, or was the purchase made over the Internet?

OP
B

Blu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect that you have had a very non-typical experience in trying to purchase an iPad. Have you tried a real Apple Store in your area, or was the purchase made over the Internet?

2 different wal marts, target and one from amazon. Apple store is 40 mins away I didn't think it would make a difference. I thought about trying 1 more time and ordering from apple or driving there but not right now. After all that trouble and driving and getting another bunk unit I think I would scream. My girlfriend got one on release day from apple store and she had the same screen problem but in yellow instead of pink, with one side being lighter. Are there actually white, uniform screens even out there??

I did notice online that model numbers from apples website and best buy differ from those at the aforementioned places. What is this about? Any ideas?

Frawick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blu said:
2 different wal marts, target and one from amazon. Apple store is 40 mins away I didn't think it would make a difference. I thought about trying 1 more time and ordering from apple or driving there but not right now. After all that trouble and driving and getting another bunk unit I think I would scream. My girlfriend got one on release day from apple store and she had the same screen problem but in yellow instead of pink, with one side being lighter. Are there actually white, uniform screens even out there??

I did notice online that model numbers from apples website and best buy differ from those at the aforementioned places. What is this about? Any ideas?

I'm no expert, but I would suspect that you have been unlucky enough to have found several counterfeit units. You should be able to confirm that by taking your iPad to a real Apple Store and have the serial numbers verified.

OP
B

Blu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of them were counterfeit, of that I am 100% sure. They all simply had issues I personally couldn't live with at that price point. I suppose quality control is in the dumps or I just got very unlucky. Oh well, might just snag a refurb 2 from a friend for cheap and get the 4 when it comes out next year. Or perhaps the rumored mini, although I think I would get annoyed web browsing on that size as I did on a kindle fire. cheers all.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 64 GB WiFi. And I love it! I would highly recommend the newer iPad 3.

Send from my iPad using iPF.net

Kyipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He can you tell what iPad 2 you have I bought mines pretty late. A maybe 2 weeks before ipad3 and paid around 700. I would be confident but I got it from a regular store not the apple store.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
Ouch. Not what I want to read! A year and a half isn't a ver long product run. I understand that higher tech stuff becomes dated sooner than most other products but c'mon. Hope this doesn't end up being true. The iPad 2 has been a fabulous tablet. It'd be a shame to lose support so quickly. :(

Apple will still support the iPad 2, they just won't be making any more new ones. You'll probably see iOS updates for it until at least iOS 7.

Most reactions

Latest posts