What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 Stuck on battery charge screen

tjkibbey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 1 Stuck on battery charge screen

Someone PLEASE Help! Ipad 1 is stuck on screen with red battery, and lightning bolt underneath. yes, I have charged it for hours... All software is up to date and iTunes up to date. Tried DFU, got computer to recognize it, and did a restore from itunes. After the restore cycle completed, itunes said ipad would show up in itunes. It did not and the iPad went back to the same screen with the battery. I took it to the apple store and the guy said they would replace it for 250 bucks and sent me on my way. I thought I'd check aaround and see if anyone had any ideas since I don't have the cash right now to replace it. I'm desperate, this thing is like my left arm... Can't do without it!!!
I also tried all the hard resest stuff and holding the home and sleep buttons....
Any new ideas???

Last edited:

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should take it back to a different apple store considering that guy wasn't willing to replace it for free. It sounds like a software problem which isn't your fault, unless you have jail broken or edited the software in any way.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, an iPad1 is well out of warranty and the Apple Store employee was following store policy. Apple won't replace an iPad1 because it's not working properly. All they will do is offer to send it off for repair or offer to replace it (with additional money).

Given all the steps you took, I don't know amy other way you can get the iPad to work, however. Hopefully, someone else will come along to assist. To me, it sounds as if you have a hardware problem on that iPad1 and it may very well be time to replace it. Sorry.

Marilyn

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would probably let the battery run completely out and see what happens then.

My youngest son's iPod touch is funky sometimes and to unfunkerize it, we let it go completely dead and shut off by itself. Then leave it alone overnight to be sure it really is really really dead, then plug it in to charge. This has always worked anytime his touch has gotten stuck on something. Resets and forced syncs sometimes are hit & miss. But letting it run out of battery has always reset it correctly.
Give it a shot!

Poolmyfinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never seen this answer before (except by nakedbabytoes) but here's what worked for me and I found it accidentally.
I have an iPhone and an iPad and I only had 1 charger (my only Apple cord didn't work anymore so I had thrown it out and I thought maybe that was the problem, except my iphone charged fine with my pink cord) by my bedside, so I would just hook up the one that needed it the most before I went to bed.* Well one day I woke up to find that my iPad had a low battery, with the red battery picture. When I plugged it into the charger, it just kept recycling to the Apple logo and then the spinning wheel of death, and back again.
I did some research and couldn't figure it out. People who thought it was a dead battery still had the same problem after they sent it in and got a new battery* My iPad is not jail broken and half the "solutions" were over my head. I have over 1300 apps on my iPad, not to mention thousands of pictures, that I was just feeling so bereft and sad that I might have lost everything.* So I just let my iPad sit, and drained the whole battery down to the nubbin.* It was 2-3 days without a charger that I just let it sit.
Then I put it on the charger again and I noticed I still got the red battery symbol, but the red was a thinner slice. I went to work and left it on the charger all day. When I returned, one of my FB notifications came on and bam, there it was, my sign on screen or whatever it's called, where you slide the thingy across. And it was back!!!!!!
So I was overjoyed.* I'd also had a problem syncing with a warning that it overloaded my USB port. It was a separate problem, but I was able to sync it after that, and my iPhone too, so I was ecstatic.
Then the battery thing happened again about a week later.* I thought I had been diligent about keeping it charged but it went down after only a day off the charger.* Realized that I had FB and mail notifications notifying me in the startup screen, so that it was constantly turning itself on and off.* I have almost 5000 FB friends and 10 email accounts, so that was a lot of steady activity that I wasn't really aware of.* I have now turned off all notifications to every app, since they also come on my phone AND I bought a 2nd cord, a purple one, so now I'm set and don't expect to ever have that problem again.
Hope this helps everyone who thought they had a brick.

Most reactions

Latest posts