What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 stuck in restore mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

glcohen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest what further I can do to get an iPad 2 16MB WiFI model out of restore mode. The machine was previously working normally but after a battery charge would not turn on. It connected to iTunes on a Windows system when started using the home button press before USB plug method. iTunes reported the iPad to be in restore mode even though the Device Connectivity Test in the diagnostic tools menu said that the ipad was not found. The Windows system device manager showed that the Apple USB driver was loaded but did not show the iPad as a device. However, running restore from iTunes seemed to work correctly with the progress bar showing on the iPad and the information bar on iTunes showing installation and verifying of software and firmware. iTunes then reported that the restore has finished and that I should wait for the iPad to appear in iTunes. After a few seconds the white progress bar appeared on the iPad and the iPad icon appeared as a rotating circle in the iTunes menu bar. The iPad progress bar went about a quarter along its run and then stopped - and at the same time the iPad icon in iTunes vanished. I am then left with apple symbol on the iPad which still fails to boot. A new USB cable made no difference and the same thing happened when I repeat the attempted restore on another Windows system. I have done the attempted restore multiple times as has been suggested by others. I have also tried using TinyUmbrella and iReb to come out of recovery mode; they see the iPad but do not fix it. I have also tried letting the battery run flat before doing restore attempts. Both Windows system were cleaned of everything non essential and the iTunes is up to date. Doing the restore from DFU mode gives the same result.
This is the error report from iTunes:
Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Acer Aspire 5732Z
iTunes 11.1.0.126
QuickTime 7.7.4
FairPlay 2.5.16
Apple Application Support 2.3.6
iPod Updater Library 11.1f5
CD Driver 2.2.3.0
CD Driver DLL 2.1.3.1
Apple Mobile Device 7.0.0.117
Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.64.0.0
Bonjour 3.0.0.10 (333.10)
Gracenote SDK 1.9.6.502
Gracenote MusicID 1.9.6.115
Gracenote Submit 1.9.6.143
Gracenote DSP 1.9.6.45
iTunes Serial Number 00E0BDA80A765FC0
Current user is not an administrator.
The current local date and time is 2013-10-06 17:13:18.
iTunes is not running in safe mode.
WebKit accelerated compositing is enabled.
HDCP is supported.
Core Media is supported.
Video Display Information
(Standard display types), Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Intel Corporation, Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Intel Corporation, Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
**** External Plug-ins Information ****
No external plug-ins installed.
**** Network Connectivity Tests ****
Network Adapter Information
Adapter Name: {EA4D900B-F6D1-4672-854A-C64A3F3650C1}
Description: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
IP Address: 10.0.0.5
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.138
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 10.0.0.138
Lease Obtained: Sun Oct 06 18:01:20 2013
Lease Expires: Sun Oct 06 19:01:20 2013
DNS Servers: 10.0.0.138
Adapter Name: {FE6F70C0-1133-45C5-B4EF-D9BF04CE4923}
Description: Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server:
Lease Obtained: Thu Jan 01 02:00:00 1970
Lease Expires: Thu Jan 01 02:00:00 1970
DNS Servers:
Active Connection: LAN Connection
Connected: Yes
Online: Yes
Using Modem: No
Using LAN: Yes
Using Proxy: No
Firewall Information
Windows Firewall is on.
iTunes is NOT enabled in Windows Firewall.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was successful.
Connection attempt to browsing iTunes Store was successful.
Connection attempt to purchasing from iTunes Store was successful.
Connection attempt to iPhone activation server was successful.
Connection attempt to firmware update server was successful.
Connection attempt to Gracenote server was successful.
Last successful iTunes Store access was 2013-10-03 18:21:08.

**** CD/DVD Drive Tests ****
No drivers in LowerFilters.
UpperFilters: GEARAspiWDM (2.2.3.0),
D: Slimtype DVD A DS8A4SH, Rev CA11
Drive is empty.

**** Device Connectivity Tests ****

iPodService 11.1.0.126 (x64) is currently running.
iTunesHelper 11.1.0.126 is currently running.
Apple Mobile Device service 3.3.0.0 is currently running.

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C. Device is working properly.
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
No FireWire (IEEE 1394) Host Controller found.
Most Recent Devices Not Currently Connected:

iPad 2 running firmware version 7.0.2
Serial Number: DN6G8MG7DKPH

**** Device Sync Tests ****
No iPod, iPhone or iPad found.

OP
G

glcohen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have now got the iPad2 working normally by simply disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery after a few minutes. Either there was some rogue process running in the background or there was a connector problem that was solved by unplugging and plugging the connectors. iTunes now works properly - although only on one of my Windows systems - and reports that it can see the iPad.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have now got the iPad2 working normally by simply disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery after a few minutes. Either there was some rogue process running in the background or there was a connector problem that was solved by unplugging and plugging the connectors. iTunes now works properly - although only on one of my Windows systems - and reports that it can see the iPad.
Unplugging and plugging has often helped in other areas as well. You coming back to explain that your problem appears to have solved itself is appreciated.
With that we'll close this thread. Thanks for your participation.
Andrew

...................................................... Thread closed .............................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts