What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2-- so far, not so good

eviltuna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a 32GB + 3G and mine is running flawlessly. You definitely have a defective unit, I also know someone who has light leakage on his screen which mine does not have as well, so its definitely a defective unit, it does happen, just bring it back and get another unit.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do this then, and I bet it'll work. Take it back to the store and demand a refund of your money if they won't exchange it for another new one. Regardless if they can't replicate what's happened to u at home with ur device. Once they see u want ur money back, that'll change their minds and they "should" gladly give u another new one then. U are still under the 2week return policy. Don't wait, seriously, cuz if u do, u are gonna have to go thru warranty and all they will do is give you a refurbished unit. Nah!! U don't want that. U bought it brand new and want it exchange noes for another brand new one. Those stores try to hold out cuz returns under 2 week policy goes on them, if they get u past 2 weeks, then it falls on the warranty, meaning manufacturer. SO DON'T WAIT ANY LONGER! Forget waitng for new iOS upgrade, it should work perfect right out the box. Don't wait and sell itself short n u be even more angry that u did.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an Apple store within a few miles from your location at the Tacoma Mall. They'll be able to check it out for you. Make a reservation for the Genius Bar either at Apple.com or by using the Apple Store app.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try setting it up as a new device? (instead of running the backup from your old one)

Good point ;-). I always wondered if restoring an ipad1 info to a ipad2, running on ios4.3, would mess things up. Reason being this is new hardware on iPad 2 and more than likely people restoring an older iOS version backup info into a new hardware and iOS version ipad2. This is a good thread because if I get an ipad2 or 3, I will be doing the same thing, trying to transfer my apps n info so the OP solution found is very important

OP
S

ShovelFLH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't tried setting it up as a new device. I'll do that tonight and post the results. Thanks to all of you for your advice. Best, CR

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 to the new device suggestion.
Do let us know how that goes.

OP
S

ShovelFLH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest - complete reset/ erase; setup as new iPad; installed apps; first app used SiriusXM, played, quit unexpectedly, went from app initalizing to home screen, then started again; later system froze on home screen, had to sys reset to start; later froze again, stuck on silver apple, sys reset.

Back to the Genius bar, will ask for an exchange and even push my luck a bit and ask for a black model to replace my white one.

Edited to add-- Genius Bar offered a replacement but refused to replace with a black model. Like for like is the policy. Which generally makes sense but I was a little put off by it given this product hasn't been on the market a week and I went out of my way to buy it on day one. So it goes. Ended up returning the iPad 2 to the military PX where I purchased it and may purchase another. Definitely won't go out of my way to do so as this has been a lot of effort for little reward. I do appreciate all on this forum and particularly those that offered advice.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The latest - complete reset/ erase; setup as new iPad; installed apps; first app used SiriusXM, played, quit unexpectedly, went from app initalizing to home screen, then started again; later system froze on home screen, had to sys reset to start; later froze again, stuck on silver apple, sys reset.

Back to the Genius bar, will ask for an exchange and even push my luck a bit and ask for a black model to replace my white one.

Edited to add-- Genius Bar offered a replacement but refused to replace with a black model. Like for like is the policy. Which generally makes sense but I was a little put off by it given this product hasn't been on the market a week and I went out of my way to buy it on day one. So it goes. Ended up returning the iPad 2 to the military PX where I purchased it and may purchase another. Definitely won't go out of my way to do so as this has been a lot of effort for little reward. I do appreciate all on this forum and particularly those that offered advice.

You have definitely been unlucky, bad units are possible but this is certainly not the norm.

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eviltuna said:
I've got a 32GB + 3G and mine is running flawlessly. You definitely have a defective unit, I also know someone who has light leakage on his screen which mine does not have as well, so its definitely a defective unit, it does happen, just bring it back and get another unit.
The Apple Store switched my defected unit for a brand new one. My new one is working great!

OP
S

ShovelFLH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ordered a replacement iPad 2 in March and received it yesterday. No problems with this one whatsoever. The first one was definitely a bad unit.

Most reactions

Latest posts