What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 or Xoom? - Honest Question

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered an iPad 2 not because I think it's better than the Xoom or the upcoming HP TouchPad (I love webOS). I ordered it because of apps and Apple is on gen 2 and the others are still rushing to get gen 1 products out.

Apple will have a more polished experience, a more robust ecosystem and far more accessory support than anyone for quite some time. I'll check again in 18 months, but for now, Apple has them beat.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, the iPad by now is a mature product and with a second iteration-as limited as folks may say it is-it's going to be hard to beat for a variety of reasons. Just about all the others either have barely gotten out of the gate or haven't even gotten to the racetrack to begin with. Even if some other tablet beats it by specifications and features, it won't beat the iPad on price. Or vice-versa. And none of that is to talk about the build QUALITY of the iPad. I'll bet dollars to donuts that an unprotected iPad will fare a lot better than a protected Xoom or other tablet dropped onto a hard floor from, say, four or five feet. And let's face it...the iPad is just a sexy-looking critter. I haven't seen anything else out there that remotely looks as beautiful as an iPad.

As for Flash, I'll say it again: on a portable device, Flash is dead to me. I don't miss it at all. And I certainly don't miss the bazillion annoying in-your-face ADS throughout the web that are Flash-based! I have seen some HTML5 and it's very nice...and nowhere NEAR as resource-hoggy as Flash. More and more people are sharing these observations.

Sometimes I think these other tablets are actually trying to do TOO MUCH, which cuts down on the actual user experience of the device's actual performance altogether.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
4estGump said:
Can I just have the donuts? I'm hungry! :D

I'll take your dollars...you can take my donuts. I'm on a diet anyway.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

DJP1984

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Erm.....html5 is not just official, it's out and about and in the wild on the Internet. Apple are very unlikely to support Flash......very, very unlikely.

The Archangel

HTML5 is already used, as you pointed out. However, the specifications are not yet final. As of now HTML5 is more of a rough draft with many holes still to close, for example specifying which video format to use.

It is estimated, that the W3C will finish HTML5 specifications and set it as a standard by 2014.
HTML5 standard by 2014

So it clearly isn't official, yet.

that what i thought so, adobe flash are dying. as most website covert to simple and easy to use video basic.

i think adobe flash in race to win video contest on html 5 or bust business... this reason i think flash will on ipad but not yet find suit for tablet platfrom. i think because tablet are operate on weak or same battery people will not buy tablet if 1 to 3 hours on high power flash software that have to charge with lap your leg.. this reason apple reject so they can operate longest that it 10 hours... with low power video software... which you want... longest are better so you can use it in anywhere...

my girlfriend want RIM playbook as they do have flash as she love play facebook cityville and fronter to west, etc etc they are on flash platfom which ipad not have it due flash. this reason my girlfriend want buy RIM blackberry playbook, she say no mind XOOM as they also have flash...

for me i stick to ipad as alots best and usefully in your life, also i have on iphone app so they wont not waste money if i buy ipad anyway.... and ipad are cheapest on market that other tablet ie. xoom.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
HTML5 is already used, as you pointed out. However, the specifications are not yet final. As of now HTML5 is more of a rough draft with many holes still to close, for example specifying which video format to use.

It is estimated, that the W3C will finish HTML5 specifications and set it as a standard by 2014.
HTML5 standard by 2014

So it clearly isn't official, yet.

Thanks for the correction......too much time on my hands and not enough in my mind!

I think the point I was trying to make is that HTML5 is live despite the specification not being fully locked down but more importantly flash, no matter what anyone thinks, is not coming to "i" devices.

Flash is way too power hungry for the current and almost unstoppable move towards smaller and slimmer devices which allow computers to become mobile.

I'll head over to the chemist now and buy some of his patent brain food!

The Archangel

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, Flash on Xoom is still a beta version and does not work well yet. Usually at a lower resolution. Second, there are some sites which video is supported by iOS but not Android, so you might gain some sites, but not get others. My personal feeling is that Flash is dying and nothing Adobe does is going to change that. They may eventually merge it with HTML5 so they can save face, but it is still going away. And just because something is not official, really means little today. At this stage, all that is left is the minor details. Do not forget, that you could get 802.11n wifi servers for a long time before it was official. And all Apple did when it became official was to send out a update to activate it. Amost everyone was using 802.11n by that time.

I don't know if I agree that all is left are minor details. I guess I don't consider a video standard, DRM provisions and websocket communications minor. At least two of those will require non-HTML5 solutions for some time (read: Flash or Java). There are a lot of fairly major pieces left to iron out before HTML5 is close to being final.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While both have their plusses, trust me, Xoom with about 16 apps isn't going to cut it for me.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Except for that pizza we had the other night?:D

That IS my diet!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if I agree that all is left are minor details. I guess I don't consider a video standard, DRM provisions and websocket communications minor. At least two of those will require non-HTML5 solutions for some time (read: Flash or Java). There are a lot of fairly major pieces left to iron out before HTML5 is close to being final.

Look at it this way, they are all software issues that can be resolved as they get formulated. We are moving too fast for the slow normal process of bureaucracy. A new standard takes years to work all the compromises out with the various regulatory authorities, and the general public is not going to wait.

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Xoom: I seriously considered it. No flash at launch. Beta thereafter. No sd card support at launch. No LTE support without mailing in your unit? Pinch and zoom clunky and choppy. Honeycomb really a beta and not thoroughly tested. Heavy and thick.

iPad 2: butter.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Xoom: I seriously considered it. No flash at launch. Beta thereafter. No sd card support at launch. No LTE support without mailing in your unit? Pinch and zoom clunky and choppy. Honeycomb really a beta and not thoroughly tested. Heavy and thick.

iPad 2: butter.

Very well put ;-)

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad can not be compared to Zoom or other underperforming iPad wannabe (s).
Performance, IOS, apps, style, branding are just name of few. Why would you want an iPad wanna be when you could have the true performer? Then again iam an iPad, iPhone, Mac pro and iMac user! No virus and ease of operation.

Most reactions

Latest posts