What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1? help me make my decision please! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModGTI

iPF Noob
Reaction score
or go fir Ipad 2 or the upcoming ipad 3 and you will not regret it as there are so many apps out there for you....
and image once you have JB your ipad, there are unlimited apps for you :)

Cheers

DarkHorizon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 2 and a cheap android tablet and there are two main differences. For most things the Ipad just works. All the apps are well laid out and easy to use / buy. This is not the same for Android market which is perfectly useable but can take a little effort.

The second is there is no way I would use my android tablet for anything involving money or ordering. The problem is the applications are not very well regulated compared to Apple and Malware does slip through.

The upside to some Android tablets is they have USB , HDMI and flash card sockets built in with no need to pay for expensive bits of cable etc. The same is true for iTunes. Almost everything on it is very , very expensive and in most cases you can order a new dvd from Amazon cheaper than you could rent the same film via iTunes.

You just need to work out what is important to you and then make your choice. I like the Android tablet for some things but mostly use my Ipad.

Leehound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exchanged Tab for the Ipad

I owned the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for 3 weeks and exchanged it for the Ipad 2.

My reasons are as follows:

#1 - The amount and quality of apps far exceeds (by a long way) the android market. This was most important to me.

#2 - I did not like the screen size of the Tab. It just seemed awkward to have a screen much longer in one direction.

#3 - Ipad smoother and more responsive than the Tab.

#4 - More glitches and hang-ups in the Tab, especially web browsing.

#5 - And last, Apple has a more complete set of supporting products (air play, appletv, Itunes ect. ect.)

What is better about the Tab:

#1 - Screen quality goes to the Tab

#2 - Screen configuration

#3 - Built in GPS for the WiFi version

The Tab was a gift for my wife and it just sat on our coffee table. With the Ipad 2, I now have to compete with my wife for time on it.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I owned the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for 3 weeks and exchanged it for the Ipad 2.

My reasons are as follows:

#1 - The amount and quality of apps far exceeds (by a long way) the android market. This was most important to me.

#2 - I did not like the screen size of the Tab. It just seemed awkward to have a screen much longer in one direction.

#3 - Ipad smoother and more responsive than the Tab.

#4 - More glitches and hang-ups in the Tab, especially web browsing.

#5 - And last, Apple has a more complete set of supporting products (air play, appletv, Itunes ect. ect.)

What is better about the Tab:

#1 - Screen quality goes to the Tab

#2 - Screen configuration

#3 - Built in GPS for the WiFi version

The Tab was a gift for my wife and it just sat on our coffee table. With the Ipad 2, I now have to compete with my wife for time on it.

I have a brother who is a major Apple hater and claims he will never own an Apple product in his life (except his iPod). He has an Android phone which he loves, is planning on getting another Android phone, and wants an Android tablet (actually, the Galaxy 10.1). So I am used to the Apple bashing. But I found it interesting that you exchanged your Galaxy for an iPad - proof that it really IS "to each their own". But I tend to dislike Android tablets for some of the same reasons you do.

() I, too, think the apps are better quality on the iPad. And, really, I just think iOS looks better than Android OS.

() I also think the landscape tablet is weird. I mean granted, the iPad is somewhat of a rectangle, but the Playbook, the Zoom, and the Galaxy are too rectangular for me. I find it awkward too.

() I definitely find my iPad a LOT more responsive than my Android phone. (My mom's iPhone is too.)

() I'm sure there are issues with the Tab. Android OS has a lot of glitches, I have found. I've only had one app freeze for a few minutes once. Otherwise, not a single problem.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 2 and a cheap android tablet and there are two main differences. For most things the Ipad just works. All the apps are well laid out and easy to use / buy. This is not the same for Android market which is perfectly useable but can take a little effort.

The second is there is no way I would use my android tablet for anything involving money or ordering. The problem is the applications are not very well regulated compared to Apple and Malware does slip through.

The upside to some Android tablets is they have USB , HDMI and flash card sockets built in with no need to pay for expensive bits of cable etc. The same is true for iTunes. Almost everything on it is very , very expensive and in most cases you can order a new dvd from Amazon cheaper than you could rent the same film via iTunes.

You just need to work out what is important to you and then make your choice. I like the Android tablet for some things but mostly use my Ipad.

You mention many of the reasons I haven't bothered with an Android tablet. I'm hoping that Amazon will make headway, if it produces a tablet as rumored.

I'm curious: If you don't do anything money-related on your Android tab, how you buy apps? Do you check email, social network, watch streaming video, etc., which require passwords, on your Android tab? What's left to do on an Android tab if security is a concern?

dissidentme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when a tablet/ mobile OS does op ipad, trust me, WE WILL ALL KNOW IT and vendors wont be able to keep device on shelves until then, ipad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts