What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 locked and not responding - even after hard reset

RHP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 is locked and I am unable to enter my passcode to gain access to the device.
When trying to unlock the device from sleep mode by pressing Home button and then swiping the "> slide to unlock button" to bring up the number keys to enter the passcode a box with thin white lines appears around the area with the text ">slide to unlock button" and I am unable to swipe this area. When I touch other parts of the screen e.g. the time or battery power indicator a similar but smaller white box appears around that text too.
In addition, there is a voice telling me everything that happens on the screen i.e. when I press the Home button it tells the time, when I touch the screen where ">slide to unlock button" is written the voice says "unlock button", when the iPad enters sleep mode the voice says "screen locked". The voice narrative wasn't there before and I can't recall changing any functionality.
All of the above started after I did a full restore for my iPad as it was not syncing properly i.e. new content not copying across from iTunes and Mail had stopped receiving emails. Everything seemed fine (I had set up email accounts again, synced some music and apps etc.) after the restore until the first time afterwards when it went into sleep mode and I tried to get back into the iPad.
I have attempted a hard reset on two occasions by holding down the Sleep and Home buttons but these haven't resolved the issues. And because I can't get access to the iPad I'm unable to attempt another full restore as need to be able to turn off Find My Ipad in the iCloud settings on the iPad to do another full restore.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can't help with the unlocking, but the spoken voice is set up under settings/general/accessibility/voiceover. Here you can set up various options to receive spoken hints and instructions. I really can't imagine how this has come about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
VoiceOver could be the reason for your problem. When it's enabled, everything on the iPad works different. Instead of tapping once, you have to tap twice. When you usually scroll with one or two fingers, you have to do this with three fingers now.

Here's a description of the feature: https://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/ios/voiceover/

It can be activated with a triple click on the Home button, if this is enabled in your settings (Accessibility Shortcuts). So as soon as you've turned it off, disable this setting as well, or it will happen again.

You can disable it using iTunes: select your iPad, Summary - Options - Configure universal access.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
j.A. That's a really useful link. I learn something every day, even at my age.

OP
R

RHP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't help with the unlocking, but the spoken voice is set up under settings/general/accessibility/voiceover. Here you can set up various options to get spoken hints and instructions. If you have not set this up yourself, then I suggest someone has been using your ipad and done so. I can't imagine how else this has come about.

Many thanks. Nobody else had used it between the restore and the problems occurring. I have no idea how it started. The main issue is obviously getting acc
VoiceOver could be the reason for your problem. When it's enabled, everything on the iPad works different. Instead of tapping once, you have to tap twice. When you usually scroll with one or two fingers, you have to do this with three fingers now.

Here's a description of the feature: https://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/ios/voiceover/

It can be activated with a triple click on the Home button, if this is enabled in your settings (Accessibility Shortcuts). So as soon as you've turned it off, disable this setting as well, or it will happen again.

You can disable it using iTunes: select your iPad, Summary - Options - Configure universal access.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much. I won't be using the Voiceover functionality, intentionally or accidentally, again!!

OP
R

RHP

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much!!!

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RHP do make sure you turn off settings/Accessibility/Shortcuts.

Most reactions

Latest posts