What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 - Itouch - USB - Charger - Cables - Compatability

NYG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am receiving an Ipad 2 as a gift and I have an Itouch. I would like to know if my chargers and current USB cables for the itouch are compatible with the ipad 2? I did a forum search and learned that the Ipad2 will require more amps to charge than compared with the itouch. So, will the same USB cable that fits the itouch fit the Ipad 2?

I had an Ipad 2 case question but I used the search feature and found some nice cases. I am a noob and know how frustrating it is for senior forum users to answer easy questions that can be found using the search function...

Thanks for reading...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome. Your cables will be OK, but to charge properly at full speed you will need to use the wall charger that comes with the ipad2. Other chargers may charge the iPad but it will be a much slower speed. I often use my iPhone charger to charge my pad at work, but only if I have time to spare!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd only add that the 30pin connectors to the iPad and other Apple devices may look very similar but are subtly different. Some older connectors require that you push two little tabs on the sides of the connector to remove it from the Apple device. Otherwise, the connector is "locked" to the iPad. Others have no such little tabs. Both designs work but I nearly returned my iPad to the Apple store when I couldn't remove the 30pin connector (with the little tabs) from my iPad.

OP
N

NYG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. My USB cables have the (2) push button tabs on the connector to release them. Does the Ipad 2 connector have the push button tabs?

I would like to have an extra charger at work and leave one at home. Has anybody tried the aftermarket chargers that are on ebay? Or should I get an authorized Ipad 2 charger?

PACSman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not all 3rd party cables will work. I discovered a Belkin iPod cable with a factory tag on it labeled "charge only" will not charge my iPad 2. I hear the tone when I plug it in to the iPad and it immediately states not charging at the top. I am using the supplied wall charger that came with the iPad 2.

dssxxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. My USB cables have the (2) push button tabs on the connector to release them. Does the Ipad 2 connector have the push button tabs?

I would like to have an extra charger at work and leave one at home. Has anybody tried the aftermarket chargers that are on ebay? Or should I get an authorized Ipad 2 charger?

Have bought he cheap Chinese wall plugs and USB to iPad cables from eBay and all have worked flawlessly. Have 2 in the house, 2 in FL house and 1 at the office.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
NYG said:
I am receiving an Ipad 2 as a gift and I have an Itouch. I would like to know if my chargers and current USB cables for the itouch are compatible with the ipad 2? I did a forum search and learned that the Ipad2 will require more amps to charge than compared with the itouch. So, will the same USB cable that fits the itouch fit the Ipad 2?

I had an Ipad 2 case question but I used the search feature and found some nice cases. I am a noob and know how frustrating it is for senior forum users to answer easy questions that can be found using the search function...

Thanks for reading...

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
N

NYG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered a charger and 6' USB cable from eBay. So far the iPad 2 is awesome!

Most reactions

Latest posts