What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 and iTouch Sync Questions

Tomel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've searched and found a few references to my question, but I'm still somewhat confused.

I currently have an apple account and and iTouch 2nd Gen. I'm considering purchasing an iPad 2, WiFi version. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need a new (and separate) account for my iPad?

2. I will have some of the same apps on both my iPad and iTouch and will have some apps on one but not on the other. If I set up for a manual sync and plug in my iPad, will it only sync the stuff related to my iPad and not the stuff for my iTouch (and vice versa).

3. Since #2 above is is what I want to occur, is there any special setup or procedure I need to follow when setting up my iPad for the first time or, subsequently, when I attach one of the two devices?

4. Will the automatic backup that currently occurs when I sync my iTouch be maintained separately from the automatic backup that I presume will occur when I attach my iPad?

5. When I use a file sharing app on, say, my iTouch and select a file currently on my desktop, will this file also show up on my iPad if I have the same app on the iPad (or, again, will they be kept separately?)?

If I haven't asked a question that I should have asked, I would appreciate any advice other users of multiple apple devices could provide.

Thanks.

Jbembenek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tomel said:
I've searched and found a few references to my question, but I'm still somewhat confused.

I currently have an apple account and and iTouch 2nd Gen. I'm considering purchasing an iPad 2, WiFi version. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need a new (and separate) account for my iPad? No use the Sam Appl I'd

2. I will have some of the same apps on both my iPad and iTouch and will have some apps on one but not on the other. If I set up for a manual sync and plug in my iPad, will it only sync the stuff related to my iPad and not the stuff for my iTouch (and vice versa). ITunes will handle the sync for you. You can set what apps, photos, etc. You want synced to either device. When you connect the device iTunes will recognize which one it is and sync appropriately.

3. Since #2 above is is what I want to occur, is there any special setup or procedure I need to follow when setting up my iPad for the first time or, subsequently, when I attach one of the two devices? When you connect your iDevice, you can set up what to sync. I recommend tha the first thing you do is to tell iTunes to sync manually.

4. Will the automatic backup that currently occurs when I sync my iTouch be maintained separately from the automatic backup that I presume will occur when I attach my iPad? Yes it will.

5. When I use a file sharing app on, say, my iTouch and select a file currently on my desktop, will this file also show up on my iPad if I have the same app on the iPad (or, again, will they be kept separately?)? This I don't know since I have no tried it.

I have no trouble with both my iPad and touch and keeping them both in sync. ITunes handles this very wee.

If I haven't asked a question that I should have asked, I would appreciate any advice other users of multiple apple devices could provide.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

S65AMG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tomel said:

1. Do I need a new (and separate) account for my iPad?

2. I will have some of the same apps on both my iPad and iTouch and will have some apps on one but not on the other. If I set up for a manual sync and plug in my iPad, will it only sync the stuff related to my iPad and not the stuff for my iTouch (and vice versa).

3. Since #2 above is is what I want to occur, is there any special setup or procedure I need to follow when setting up my iPad for the first time or, subsequently, when I attach one of the two devices?

4. Will the automatic backup that currently occurs when I sync my iTouch be maintained separately from the automatic backup that I presume will occur when I attach my iPad?

5. When I use a file sharing app on, say, my iTouch and select a file currently on my desktop, will this file also show up on my iPad if I have the same app on the iPad (or, again, will they be kept separately?)?

Thanks.

1) No. You can use the account you use for your ipod touch.
2) You can manually select which apps you want to load into your idevices, even if it isn't ipad compatible there's the 2x at the bottom right of the screen so you can enlarge the app but it will be pixelated.
3) Refer to Answer #2.
4) Your iTunes recognizes your devices, therefore it doesn't overwrite thr backup data.
5) Guess you are refering to DropBox kind of app? If so then it should show up on your ipad as well since dropbox doesn't store your data locally.

Hope i've helped ;)

Jbembenek

iPF Noob
Reaction score

No. Just use the same Apple ID (account) that you presently have.

The current apps that you have that are compatible with the iPad will work.

Jbembenek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jbembenek said:
No. Just use the same Apple ID (account) that you presently have.

The current apps that you have that are compatible with the iPad will work.

Bostonvince

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jbembenek said:
Sorry about the double post. Fingers faster than my brain.

My question,query is that I want to stream music from my itouch to my iPad. I really don't want to have to leave my laptop on for this. Could I jam pack a 64 gig itouch with music, videos and stream them to a 16gig iPad is basically my question. Hopefully using Bluetooth or wifi..

Most reactions

Latest posts