What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 glass much more durable

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's been said by one of the rags that took the 2 part that it was thinner. How do you think the added two cameras a tad thinner and lighter without making somethings thinner.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just cause the glass is more flexible does not mean indefinitely that it is stronger. Because it is thinner, it might be more susceptible to breaking from a shock, not bending. When was the last time your iPad bent AT ALL lol

Flexibility doesn't,t really matter, it's the ability to brush off something like it landing on a rock or something.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2 uses the exact same gorilla glass as the original. Only difference is that it's thinner. It was said most people would believe the thinner glass would make it more susceptible to breakage but not really. It was a bunch of scientific reasons they said the thinner glass is just as strong, one reason being that the panel is now glued to the ipad2 vs. The ipad1 glass held on by clips ;-)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
T

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just cause the glass is more flexible does not mean indefinitely that it is stronger. Because it is thinner, it might be more susceptible to breaking from a shock, not bending. When was the last time your iPad bent AT ALL lol

Flexibility doesn't,t really matter, it's the ability to brush off something like it landing on a rock or something.

Flexibility almost always makes a material less susceptible to shattering from shock. Drop a heavy crystal wine glass and an acrylic wine glass and see which one shatters. Even though the crystal is much thicker, it has no "give", the acrylic material is more flexible.

This is of course all theory, but after looking at that video I know which screen I think will be more durable and less prone to breaking.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2 uses the exact same gorilla glass as the original. Only difference is that it's thinner. It was said most people would believe the thinner glass would make it more susceptible to breakage but not really. It was a bunch of scientific reasons they said the thinner glass is just as strong, one reason being that the panel is now glued to the ipad2 vs. The ipad1 glass held on by clips ;-)

IHS iSuppli Teardown Reveals the iPad 2

"“The concurrent release of the iPad 2 and the new Dragontrail Glass technology from Asahi Glass Co. of Japan has led to speculation that Asahi may be the supplier of this durable new glass,” Keller said."

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TC93 said:
IHS iSuppli Teardown Reveals the iPad 2

"“The concurrent release of the iPad 2 and the new Dragontrail Glass technology from Asahi Glass Co. of Japan has led to speculation that Asahi may be the supplier of this durable new glass,” Keller said."

Speculation, not facts. Either way, gorilla glass or the dragontail glass are great. ;-)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just saw some vids on the comparison on YouTube for ifixit. Damn...lol. Ipad1 glass is good and flexible but the ipad2 glass seems way more flexible. Hmm...very interesting. Either way, both are great for protection but from what the vids are showing, ipad2 glass does seem stronger. Maybe the flexibility does make it less prone to breakage. Good stuff!

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
luckyleo said:
So wrong dude! Same glass :)

Not according to what I've read online. What tests have you conducted?

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
Drop a heavy crystal wine glass and an acrylic wine glass and see which one shatters. Even though the crystal is much thicker, it has no "give", the acrylic material is more flexible.

That is by no means a fair comparison. They're two completely different materials.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts