What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 glass much more durable

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol Who cares? As long as it can take abuse like that I'm happy :)

Just hope I never have to test it.........

OP
T

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
Drop a heavy crystal wine glass and an acrylic wine glass and see which one shatters. Even though the crystal is much thicker, it has no "give", the acrylic material is more flexible.

That is by no means a fair comparison. They're two completely different materials.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

When you make the glass 27% thinner it becomes a different material for the intended use. Plus, who has any proof that the glass is the same as the last version? The only facts seem to be the video test which definitely shows completely different behavior of the 2 pieces of glass, whatever the reason.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
When you make the glass 27% thinner it becomes a different material for the intended use. Plus, who has any proof that the glass is the same as the last version? The only facts seem to be the video test which definitely shows completely different behavior of the 2 pieces of glass, whatever the reason.

But in your example, you compared thick glass to thin plastic. Major difference there.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

OP
T

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:

But in your example, you compared thick glass to thin plastic. Major difference there.

Indeed. I was comparing 2 materials, one much more flexible than the other and how flexibility in materials makes a difference in how easily they break.

The video demonstrates how much more durable a flexible panel of glass is to one that's more rigid. I had no idea that the iPad 2 glass could be depressed and bent 2 inches without breaking. Pretty amazing IMO. :)

Yagwit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have any facts about durability but I like the ipad 2thus far. My 3yr old carries it around using the crayola app. He is not careful by any means. I don't use it that much but have dropped it several times. Also, I accidentally stepped on it after night of plant vs zombies. The cameras are terrible; not worth installing into the device. Not having a flash player ruins most of my web experience. Mostly, I have a $700 coloring book. Hey you can't put a price on peace and quiet.

Most reactions