What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 and future possibilities

pinaklonkar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello forum,

Please feel free to move/delete this thread if it violates any rules of reposting or such.

I am planning to buy an iPad 2 (one of the strong contenders in my list in addition to Toshiba Tablet and Blackberry playbook) soon. Mostly going with Apple, thanks to this forum. :)

I am struggling a lot to understand the comments I have heard on AT&T vs Verizon models. Can someone please answer if these things are true or false with reasoning?

1) Verizon iPad 2 can't be used outside of the USA on 3G because it is an outdated technology.

2) Verizon iPad 2 is quicker in establishing the connection but is overall slow (NY, NJ, MA, IL states) - whereas AT&T is like 0 mph or 100 mph depending on spots. It's very fast when it works, and practically non-existing when it does not (less than 5 bars). This is 50/50 for ATT.

3) There are repetitive activation fees on Verizon wireless if you decide to stop 3G service and start again after say, 6 months.

4) Verizon is overall economical if you want to stay between 1 GB and 2GB range. AT&T is cheaper if you want to stay under 1GB.

5) You can buy any iPad and use it with any service outside of USA.

I understand that 'speeds' is a very subjective issue. But I have posted the states that matter to me the most, major cities in the states, of course. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. I am technically quite sound, but have a hard time understanding the aforementioned jargons in telecom.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1) Mostly true. Most other countries use the same GSM technology as AT&T. That includes most European countries and our good neighbors Canada and Mexico. Verizon uses CDMA which is only used in a few other countries. I believe India is one. Outdated is relative. Both Verizon and AT&T are migrating to LTE (4G) which will greatly simplify the compatibility issues over the course of the next few years. In the mean time, pick your poison.

2) Verizon has the largest network with the most coverage. AT&T has faster service, when it's a good connection. In the end you simply have to look around and see what provider servers your area best, and choose them. Also consider whether you travel a lot, and where too. There is no one best choice for everyone.

3) First I've heard of this. Sounds like FUD. Both Verizon and AT&T are offering no-contract monthly fees. You can turn the service on and off via the iPad. I'm not going to go not all the details. There are several comparison articles online that should turn up in a Google search.

4) Verizon offers the better deal if you measure GB/dollar. AT&T has the lowest costing plan. If you can be reasonably sure that you'll seldom if ever go over the $14.99 250MB AT&T plan you can save a few dollars over Verizon's lowest cost plan of $20 for 1GB. In my opinion it is far more important to pick the best network for your area. This should be a major consideration only if all else is fairly equal, or you expect to use massive amounts of 3G data each month.

5) Probably, if you buy the GSM/AT&T tablet. You'll need to get a SIM and a plan for the country you're going to use it in, or buy AT&T's expensive international plan. If you know what country ahead of time, best to research that country first.

WiFi is an international standard, and an iPad will work pretty much anywhere in the world that you can find a hotspot.

Last edited:
OP
P

pinaklonkar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very well written response. Thank You. It clarified most of the things that I didn't understand from a consumer's standpoint. I guess in the end it is Apple who win and consumers lose to some extent, being unable to choose the service they desire regardless of the device.

iLounge posted a review on iPad 2 and it said that CDMA models show slightly more battery drain and typically slower cellular data speeds. I spoke to Apple sales and they suggested that I order AT&T iPad 2 first, give it a try, and return it if I find it unacceptable for either a Verizon one or for money. I am going to do just that starting with AT&T.

Just FYI - 14 days return policy starts from the day you receive your iPad 2 (carrier tracker delivery date). If you bought it online, you have to return it in the mail. If you return one for another one, you have ANOTHER 14 days from the day you receive the other model, if you want to go back to the previous model or simply the green. And there are no restocking fees of any kind on returns/exchanges as long as product is not damaged and is returned well within 14 days. (post stamp)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the policy info.

Now I'm wondering if the current discrepancies in the threads about battery charge/discharge times can be traced back to the different models.

OP
P

pinaklonkar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just too early to tell for almost any apple products because they have such a short shelf limelight before the next best hits the market. :p

Most reactions