What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 4.3 just won't upgrade.

ipooedmyself

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2, running iOS 4.3, just won't upgrade. (Not jailbroken.)

I've tried installing iOs 6 straight from Apple through iTunes. I've downloaded iOS 5 to try.

I get a different error code every time. Sometimes 41, sometimes 3194, etc. There's literally a different error code each time, and I've googled them all and tried every fix listed. NOTHING. None of it fixed the problem.

I've tried upgrading on 3 different PCs running:
Win 7
Windows Vista
Windows XP

I've tried upgrading to all different versions of ios 5, and even ios 6.

NOTHING.

It hangs at "verifying restore with Apple."

I've tried 5 different wi-fi networks. I've plugged directly into a cable modem.

I've disabled anti-virus and firewalls.

I've redownlded firmware.

I've clicked restore and I've clicked upgrade.

I've completely wiped and reinstalled Vista from CD, then got the latest iTunes. No security features turned on... no firewall... no nothing... I literally erased everything on Vista PC and reinstalled from scratch.

I've tried several different USB cables and USB ports.

NOTHING.

I CAN restore my iPad 2 to 4.3 just fine. So, my USB cables, etc. work. I can only restore it to 4.3 successfully. Everything else (ios 5, ios 6) hangs on the "verifying Restore" or "verifying Update" with Apple. Why, I don't know. I just got the iOs 6 firmware straight from Apple from iTunes itself. It's the latest. I downloaded it from iTunes less than an hour ago.

There's no Apple store nearby, so I can't take it in. The local Best Buy/etc. don't do these upgrades, as far as I know?

Many apps in the AppStore I would like to use are no longer available for 4.3. I can't get apps for school with my old iOs either.

Why on earth won't this thing upgrade? I'm beyond frustrated. Are there any solutions I'm missing?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipooedmyself said:
My iPad 2, running iOS 4.3, just won't upgrade. (Not jailbroken.)

I've tried installing iOs 6 straight from Apple through iTunes. I've downloaded iOS 5 to try.

I get a different error code every time. Sometimes 41, sometimes 3194, etc. There's literally a different error code each time, and I've googled them all and tried every fix listed. NOTHING. None of it fixed the problem.

I've tried upgrading on 3 different PCs running:
Win 7
Windows Vista
Windows XP

I've tried upgrading to all different versions of ios 5, and even ios 6.

NOTHING.

It hangs at "verifying restore with Apple."

I've tried 5 different wi-fi networks. I've plugged directly into a cable modem.

I've disabled anti-virus and firewalls.

I've redownlded firmware.

I've clicked restore and I've clicked upgrade.

I've completely wiped and reinstalled Vista from CD, then got the latest iTunes. No security features turned on... no firewall... no nothing... I literally erased everything on Vista PC and reinstalled from scratch.

I've tried several different USB cables and USB ports.

NOTHING.

I CAN restore my iPad 2 to 4.3 just fine. So, my USB cables, etc. work. I can only restore it to 4.3 successfully. Everything else (ios 5, ios 6) hangs on the "verifying Restore" or "verifying Update" with Apple. Why, I don't know. I just got the iOs 6 firmware straight from Apple from iTunes itself. It's the latest. I downloaded it from iTunes less than an hour ago.

There's no Apple store nearby, so I can't take it in. The local Best Buy/etc. don't do these upgrades, as far as I know?

Many apps in the AppStore I would like to use are no longer available for 4.3. I can't get apps for school with my old iOs either.

Why on earth won't this thing upgrade? I'm beyond frustrated. Are there any solutions I'm missing?

Try this tutorial.http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html if you follow it exactly, you should end up with a working iPad on the latest iOS version.

OP
I

ipooedmyself

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been trying this tutorial for several hours now.

Nothing.

I still get the error codes.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipooedmyself said:
I have been trying this tutorial for several hours now.

Nothing.

I still get the error codes.

Are you following each step exactly in the proper order? You shouldn't be getting the error codes unless you modify or skip a step.

OP
I

ipooedmyself

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you following each step exactly in the proper order? You shouldn't be getting the error codes unless you modify or skip a step.

I followed it to the letter in order on 3 different PCs with 2 different Apple-brand USB cords.

OP
I

ipooedmyself

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried it on 2 different internet connections too (home cable modem, plus EDGE 4g).

I've been trying all week to update this. I've tried 5+ PCs and at least 6 different internet networks at home, work, Starbucks, friend's house, etc.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipooedmyself said:
I followed it to the letter in order on 3 different PCs with 2 different Apple-brand USB cords.

Go to Settings>General>About>Legal (down the bottom)>Regulatory and post your model number. I think your iPad 2 might be an iPad 1. I hope not but let's rule this out before digging deeper.

OP
I

ipooedmyself

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to Settings>General>About>Legal (down the bottom)>Regulatory and post your model number. I think your iPad 2 might be an iPad 1. I hope not but let's rule this out before digging deeper.

It's definitely an iPad 2. :D

Front-facing and back camera.

MC979LL

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the restore is hanging at "verifying with Apple" then Step 2 in my tutorial linked above is not being followed correctly and your hosts file is NOT pointing towards Apple. This is verified as you are able to restore 4.3. The only way you can do that is if you hosts is pointing to Cydia servers.

If you want to update to 6.0.1, you need to get into the hosts file and remove all references to gs.apple.com from the file. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

To edit the file you will need full administrator privileges and will need to unhide hidden and system files on your operating system.

• On Windows the hosts file can be found in: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • On OSX the hosts file lives in /private/etc/hosts

Also, you can ONLY restore IOS 6.0.1 on your device. You cannot and should not try any other version of 5.x or 6.x. It will simply not work.

If you fix the problems with your hosts file, you will be able to restore. There is no black magic or voodoo. You just need to resolve that issue.

Good Luck!

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipooedmyself said:
It's definitely an iPad 2. :D

Front-facing and back camera.

MC979LL

I must add that, because you gave MC979LL as your model number, you are not very good at following directions. You stopped at About...which would give that number as the model. If you are not prepared to follow instructions to the letter, you will continue to fail with your problem. Sorry

OP
I

ipooedmyself

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know the model number I posted off the top of my head. On the tutorial, I followed the steps to the letter. I get different error codes each time that I posted. I had someone else follow the steps. They got the same errors.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y said:
If the restore is hanging at "verifying with Apple" then Step 2 in my tutorial linked above is not being followed correctly and your hosts file is NOT pointing towards Apple. This is verified as you are able to restore 4.3. The only way you can do that is if you hosts is pointing to Cydia servers.

If you want to update to 6.0.1, you need to get into the hosts file and remove all references to gs.apple.com from the file. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

To edit the file you will need full administrator privileges and will need to unhide hidden and system files on your operating system.

[*]On Windows the hosts file can be found in: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
[*]On OSX the hosts file lives in /private/etc/hosts

Also, you can ONLY restore IOS 6.0.1 on your device. You cannot and should not try any other version of 5.x or 6.x. It will simply not work.

If you fix the problems with your hosts file, you will be able to restore. There is no black magic or voodoo. You just need to resolve that issue.

Good Luck!

ipooedmyself said:
I know the model number I posted off the top of my head. On the tutorial, I followed the steps to the letter. I get different error codes each time that I posted. I had someone else follow the steps. They got the same errors.

Did you follow the instructions in f4780y's post about what to do if the process hangs up?

readyfreddie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i got a notice on my iPad 2 that i had update 6 pending, when i attempted to update it did not allow unless there was 50 per cent power. i plug in the power and it worked fine, i am now using 6. Freddie

Most reactions

Latest posts