What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

upgrading from 4.3 to 4.3.3

alamosaddles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. I am hoping someone can direct me. I have tried searching in the forums for my particular issue with no luck.

My iPad 2 is on 4.3 and I want to upgrade it to 4.3.3
I already have the 4.3.3 file needed. My problem is that when I
try to manually update it, iTunes goes to verify the update and returns a 3194 error.

I have tried to modify the hosts file, adding in the following line as the last line of text in the file:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

I then save the file, remove the .txt extension and put it back in the etc folder. Restart iTunes, connect the iPad and try the update again, shift while clicking update...select the correct 4.3.3 update file...and all is well until damn iTunes does its automatic check with apples servers.

Is there a way for me to accomplish this update?

Thank you very much for any help.

Goober

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read this but am no help. I would likely have to take this one to an Apple Genius for help. Sorry.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot upgrade your iPad2 to iOS version 4.3.3. It is no longer available from Apple.

What you need to do is connect your iPad to iTunes and then select update. iTunes will then download and install the newest version of iOS - 4.3.4.

If you still get the 3194 error when trying to install iOS 4.3.4, please let us know - there are other things going on that we can help with.

Marilyn

P.S. I am assuming you are not jail broken. If you are, don't do the above, let us know and we'll see what we can do to help ... if we can.

DRAM2500

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem!

I have the same problem, my ipad 2 is brand new & it is running 4.3.2 & I tried upgrading to 4.3.3 but it gives me error 3194, so I looked at the more info on it & upgraded my itunes to 10.4 like it said but it still gives me the 3194 error

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As I said in post #3, you cannot upgrade to iOS 4.3.3. As far as Apple/iTunes are concerned, if you are not jail broken, that iOS does not exist, is no longer good and will not work.

You have to upgrade to the current iOS version, which is 4.3.4. That should be the version that iTunes will automatically download and install once you select "check for new firmware" and then you ask to install it.

Marilyn

evilbart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey I think you are missing the point,we do not want ios 4.3.4,what we are asking is if there is any way of upgrading the ipad 2 to version 4.3.3 as this is the only firmware which can be jailbroken at the moment.

OP
A

alamosaddles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey,

As the other poster wrote, I do know that apple is no longer offering 4.3.3.

I guess what I am looking to know is if there isnt a hacking way to fool itunes into thinking the 4.3.3 ipsw file I have is good to go? I don't know diddly about how all this digital signing of the file by apple works, but isnt it something a hacker can address, spoofing itunes into thinking its in contact with the apple servers and then approving the "unsigned" update?

I dont mind being schooled and educated, I'd like to know more.

On another note, I do have a second ipad 2 that is in fact on 4.3.3
Is there a way for me to save the information for that ipads firmware in case in the future I need to reinstall it?

Thanks so much, I love this ipad forum.

DRAM2500

iPF Noob
Reaction score
screwed

OK ALL, looks like we r all screwed till jailbreakme.com comes out with the same jailbreak that covers 4.3.2 & 4.3.1, hopefully it will be out soon.

If anyone knows anything else, please help!!!!!!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey,

As the other poster wrote, I do know that apple is no longer offering 4.3.3.

I guess what I am looking to know is if there isnt a hacking way to fool itunes into thinking the 4.3.3 ipsw file I have is good to go? I don't know diddly about how all this digital signing of the file by apple works, but isnt it something a hacker can address, spoofing itunes into thinking its in contact with the apple servers and then approving the "unsigned" update?

I dont mind being schooled and educated, I'd like to know more.

On another note, I do have a second ipad 2 that is in fact on 4.3.3
Is there a way for me to save the information for that ipads firmware in case in the future I need to reinstall it?

Thanks so much, I love this ipad forum.

Take a look at this explanation of SHSH blobs: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24323-shsh-blobs-frequently-asked-questions.html

Essentially, SHSH blobs are the spoofing tool to fool iTunes. If you've saved them, you can use them to put that particular iOS version back onto your iPad.

The key here is: IF you've saved them by running Tiny Umbrella (TU). If you don't have SHSH blobs for a particular iOS version and you are on an iPad2, you simply cannot change your iPad's firm ware - except to go to the version number that is the most current/being signed by Apple.

Repeat (and, evilbart, this is for you too): If you do not have SHSH blobs saved for iOS version 4.3.3 - you cannot put that version onto your iPad2. Cannot! I know you don't want iOS 4.3.4 - but that's the way it is without saved blobs. Sorry.

And, if you are already on iOS 4.3.3, and have not saved that version's SHSH blobs - you also cannot reinstall that version, should you need to. If you end up having to do a restore, with no SHSH blobs, then you will have to restore back to [as of this writing] iOS 4.3.4. So, should you jail break the iPad with iOS 4.3.3, be careful with it. With no SHSH blobs saved, if you make an error that causes you to have to restore, you'll lose the jail break. Just be careful with what you install on it...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but that's where it stands today.

Marilyn

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DRAM2500 said:
OK ALL, looks like we r all screwed till jailbreakme.com comes out with the same jailbreak that covers 4.3.2 & 4.3.1, hopefully it will be out soon.

If anyone knows anything else, please help!!!!!!!

Pretty sure 4.3 to 4.3.3 can be jailbroken using jailbreakme.com. Some did, but most did 4.3.3.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, but JailbreakMe.com only works on iPad2s that have iOS version 4.3.3 installed.

Marilyn

im just going by what i read, http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/32766-official-ipad2-jailbreak-chat-thread-89.html, check post #2655, and i read somewhere else, someone did it on 4.3.1 and 4.3.2, but hey it wasn't me, so i can't confirm.

click on pic below...
screen-capture.png

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And if you read further, no one got it to work and the link was later corrected to be JailbreakMe.com (no saffron).

I cannot verify that the poster in your screenshot actually used JNme with version 4.3.3. I can only tell you that the "release" notes that come with the jailbreak say that the iPad2 must be on 4.3.3 and that every/any reference to the jailbreal (c0mex included) say it only works with 4.3.3.

Marilyn

evilbart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for reply Mickey kinda figured i was screwed,was waiting for this jailbreak since i purchased my ipad 2 and was away on holidays and missed the jailbreak typical,anyway do you think I should stick to 4.3 for the moment because the pdf exploit is surely possible on this firmware it's just a question of whether comix can be bothered making it available if the demand is there,or do you think another exploit will come for ipad 2 maybe ios 5 can be jailbroken thanks again

mindovermedia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, i would also like for your help.
I want to upgrade from jailbroken ipad 2 4.3 to 4.3.3 with maintaining all the jailbroken applications and my data. The problem is i do have to make the whole process on another itunes and not on the itunes that all the applications and data are stored.(i dont have my computer with me because i am on vacation)
Do you have a solution>?

Most reactions