What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 3G, can it be bought without subscribing to a data plan?

Raelthorne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Quick question about the iPad 2. I'm off to the States, for a tour of the east coast area, early next year and I'm going to get an iPad 2 (I'll be in Washington DC, Niagara Falls, Boston and NYC). I was going for the Wi-Fi model but I'd like the option of 3G. From researching it, I'd have to get the AT&T model (which is unlocked and compatible with any microsim) and not the CDMA Verizon version. I'm from Ireland, so the Verizon model is not usable over here as outr carriers use Microsims only.

Here's where I'm confused. Do you have to sign up to an AT&T plan when you're buying in the Apple store or can you just buy the iPad without committing to a plan. I'm not in a position of signing up to a plan if I'm only going to be there for a few days.

In essence, I just want to buy the 3G iPad 2, bring it home after my holiday and use it with one of my own domestic carriers.

Apologies if this has been answered before.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't have a problem. You do not have to commit to a plan like you do with a phone in Europe, and iPad's are sold unlocked. You simply want to get the 3G GSM version and (as you note) NOT the CDMA version as they don't work over here in Europe.

OP
R

Raelthorne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You won't have a problem. You do not have to commit to a plan like you do with a phone in Europe, and iPad's are sold unlocked. You simply want to get the 3G GSM version and (as you note) NOT the CDMA version as they don't work over here in Europe.

Thanks for the reply. AT&T 3G it is so! Looking forward to taking part in the forums :)

Most reactions