What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1/2 to iPad 3???

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is there about 4G to not be keen on? (or rather...why would it be a deal breaker?) Sure, the network coverage for 4G could be sparse in some areas, however, it still has full 3G functionality and drastically improved data access where 4G is indeed available?

As I wrote earlier, I have iPad 1 and 2 and swap my unlimited 3G SIM between them. If I went to a 4G device, I'd lose that flexibility.

ChrisP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is there about 4G to not be keen on? (or rather...why would it be a deal breaker?) Sure, the network coverage for 4G could be sparse in some areas, however, it still has full 3G functionality and drastically improved data access where 4G is indeed available?

Ahh....digging in further I see that the 4G frequencies are tailored to what is currently in use in the North American market....I would suspect that additional frequencies will be added (as needed) for other countries..

ChrisP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I wrote earlier, I have iPad 1 and 2 and swap my unlimited 3G SIM between them. If I went to a 4G device, I'd lose that flexibility.

IT is still compatible with 3G/GSM networks.... Is it a certainty that the SIM will no longer be compatible?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahh....digging in further I see that the 4G frequencies are tailored to what is currently in use in the North American market....I would suspect that additional frequencies will be added (as needed) for other countries..

Yes, that was part of my consideration, because most of the places I go overseas are still on 3G. I get off a plane and usually get unlimited 3G access ASAP.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IT is still compatible with 3G/GSM networks.... Is it a certainty that the SIM will no longer be compatible?

From what I've read, that's the case. I'd need both iPad 1 and 2 to be able to use a new SIM, which I'm also not sure I'd get my cheapo grandfathered unlimited 3G plan converted to. Not a big deal. I've not longed for more speed, and Apple is not going to miss my 900 bucks or so, lol.

ChrisP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the data providers I have access to in CAnada do not handle roaming gracefully...I'll be looking to grab local providers when I travel....

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the data providers I have access to in CAnada do not handle roaming gracefully...I'll be looking to grab local providers when I travel....

I don't use roaming, because it's overpriced compared with what I can get locally. Lots of parts of the world have cheaper unlimited (even off contract) than the U.S. or Canada, from my experience. iPad has been great for that -- get off a plane, get a local SIM and I'm good.

kaka222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I wasn't expecting anything in particular. I figure it's Apple's job to tempt me, lol.

If I were buying a new iPad, I'd get the latest version now. But I already have 1 and 2, so I needed more compelling reasons to get a 3. I'm not keen on 4G, so that was a deal breaker for me.

What about retina display? It looks great

pcimaging

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already ordered the iPad 3. I upgraded because of the retina display , quad gfx, 1 gb of RAM as well as the new processor A5x . I use my iPad2 for a lot of photo related stuff and I believe it will make the photos I share look considerably better. The new camera with 5mp is a plus. I would have liked 8 but really ? I believe 5 is enough. If I really need high quality photos I will use my Canon 7D. Besides, my wife wants my iPad 2 so that settled it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the retina display in the 3rd gen iPad is likely to be the most significant feature bump that we will see in any iPad to come afterwards. And the other supporting features mentioned in the post above are good complements. I think these total out to a significant jump over the 2nd gen iPad that the upgrade is totally worth it for me (besides, I'm getting $414 for my iPad 2). I think the 4th gen iPad will likely have only tweaks in hardware -- faster processors, faster wifi, better battery, better camera, 3D, etc., but I seriously doubt there will be another bump in display resolution. There may be additional bumps in the OS, but some of that may come to the 3rd gen iPad too. No, I'm pretty clear on this. Now is the time to upgrade. I'll just skip the 4th gen iPad. I will have two full years of benefit from that lovely, easy to read display. That is important and worth the trouble.

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good observation. My logic was on the same line. The display is the main interface between you and the devise. It would be like not upgrading to a hi def TV.

I think the retina display in the 3rd gen iPad is likely to be the most significant feature bump that we will see in any iPad to come afterwards. And the other supporting features mentioned in the post above are good complements. I think these total out to a significant jump over the 2nd gen iPad that the upgrade is totally worth it for me (besides, I'm getting $414 for my iPad 2). I think the 4th gen iPad will likely have only tweaks in hardware -- faster processors, faster wifi, better battery, better camera, 3D, etc., but I seriously doubt there will be another bump in display resolution. There may be additional bumps in the OS, but some of that may come to the 3rd gen iPad too. No, I'm pretty clear on this. Now is the time to upgrade. I'll just skip the 4th gen iPad. I will have two full years of benefit from that lovely, easy to read display. That is important and worth the trouble.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about retina display? It looks great

Yes, looks nice. I have retina on iPhone 4S so I have a clue what the new screen looks like. Not a must-have for me, though. I'm a half-hearted screen person. Low standards, easy to please, lol. My husband bugs me to upgrade my ancient office TV, and I've resisted for years. (He has the latest and greatest and he wants me to, too.) If I were keen on movie quality, I'd watch on a real TV, rather than an iPad. For me, iPad is mostly for web surfing and reading.

I have two iPads, iPhone and touch 4, plus laptop, netbook, Kindle Fire and e-ink Kindle. I don't lack for toys, and I'd get a new iPad if I wanted, but I'm going to wait and see what else is coming.

We're all really lucky to have so many nifty gadgets to choose from, and I hope everyone enjoys theirs, no matter brand or model

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
keep my iPad 1 just waiting for the iPad 3!
So of course will turn and go for an iPad 3 ;)

godbot1324

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded my iPad 1 16gb wifi only to the iPad 2 16gb wifi only and I will be getting the iPad 3 64gb wifi only on the 16th I sold my 2 about a couple months ago used for 500 bucks

Most reactions

Latest posts