What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought the Apple3, but according to Apple I could well have the latest iPad

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even though people call them Apple 3 and Apple 4 for easier identification when discussing iPads, Apple have never ever used those model descriptions. Both the 3 and 4 they call the The iPad with Retina Display.

In fact, my iPad3 seems to have disappeared entirely when I look at Apple's iPad specs in www.apple.com/ipad/compare/. You see Apple1, Apple 2 and iPad with Retina Display, comparing the"2" only with the very latest iPad. So I can't help feeling there is a message somewhere there by Apple, like "don't go sweating about upgrades and their timing. We are selling our iPad and will make changes of our choosing and our timing and all our customers will all own the "iPad with Retina Display" no matter the specs.

The next incremental improvement may very well come out next March with let's say a USB port. Apple will not call it Apple 5 (but could officially call it the Apple3?) So we will all be happy campers and own "an iPad with Retina Display"? Will certainly cause problems in people advertising the different models for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even though people call them Apple 3 and Apple 4 for easier identification when discussing iPads, Apple have never ever used those model descriptions. Both the 3 and 4 they call the The iPad with Retina Display.

Sorry but I disagree...
Apple executives themselves at the Oct 23 "Special Event" called the two iPads with the retina display 3rd Generation & 4th Generation.

Attachments

• iPad_4th Gen.jpg
    iPad_4th Gen.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 343
OP
The OB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry but may I also disagree with the disagreements? My post was not concerned with "generations". My point was that Apple has never, ever, officially, called their tablets iPad3 and iPad4
Regards, Andrew

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The OB said:
Sorry but may I also disagree with the disagreements?ddc7b My post was not concerned with "generations". My point was that Apple has never, ever, officially, called their tablets iPad3 and iPad4
Regards, Andrew

The iPad 3 was officially the New IPad and the iPad 4 is now being touted as iPad with Retina Display. Bit of a mouthful I think :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but may I also disagree with the disagreements? My post was not concerned with "generations". My point was that Apple has never, ever, officially, called their tablets iPad3 and iPad4
Regards, Andrew

It doesn't matter to me what I call it. Just give me the one with the latest guts.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok.........I'm so confused.
Are we both correct or both wrong? :D

Guess it really doesn't matter anyway............I was just repeating what the big shots said. :eek:

Most reactions