What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7 - getting screenshots to windows

mattdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I finally decided to upgrade to iOS7 on my iPad 4 over the weekend. The update went fine.

But under iOS 6 when I connected the device to my Windows 7 PC, it was recognised as an external drive and I could get photos, videos and screenshots off it and onto my desktop without any fuss at all. Since switching to iOS7 that no longer happens, and I'm stuck with iTunes, which I hate.

So:
1) Ideally I'd like my USB storage recognition back. Is that possible on iOS7 > Win 7 and if so, how do I restore it?
2) Failing that, I can't figure out how to get pictures just off the iPad and onto my desktop without syncing and having iTunes attempt to copy all my photos up to the device. Is there a way I can just browse the photos and pictures on the iPad and download them using iTunes?

This is a bit urgent - help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's kinda weird, cause I have no issue "seeing" my iOS 7 running iPad's photos with my Windows 7 PC.

As you say you have iTunes installed on that PC, the only thing I can think is - do you have a pass code lock on that iPad? If so, you MUST have the iPad opened (as in, enter the pass code). If you don't input the code, the PC will not see it so you can access that DCIM folder. It's a new security feature in iOS 7...

Hope that's what works for you. If not, holler back and we'll take another shot at it.

Marilyn

kathy025

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every time I plug in my iPad to my laptop, it's recognized as a "camera".

Screen_Shot002.png

I simply double-click/Explore it and casually copy-paste the photos to my HDD.

OP
M

mattdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you say you have iTunes installed on that PC, the only thing I can think is - do you have a pass code lock on that iPad? If so, you MUST have the iPad opened (as in, enter the pass code). If you don't input the code, the PC will not see it so you can access that DCIM folder. It's a new security feature in iOS 7...

Thanks for the suggestion. I bypassed the lock feature when I upgraded, but I don't think I actually "opened" the iPad (i.e. swiped to start) when I connected it. Didn't used to have to do that before the upgrade.

I can try later (at work now) but if that doesn't sound like the issue, further suggestions would be welcome.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd get the app known as "Transfer" (also known as Photo Transfer App inside the app itself). It lets you transfer photos between iDevices and PCs (included MAC) over your wifi network. Wires are old hat these days. I seldom hook up my iPads to a PC for an Itunes sync...I do this for restore and backup because it is faster, but excepting that, I don't bother with wires anymore.

OP
M

mattdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. It turned out the iPad just needed to reconfirm the PC as "trusted" and all is good. Would have been a pain to work that out without the clue about locking, though, and it's useful to know about the possibility of wireless transfer, so your tips are much appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts