What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7.0.2 Simple Passcode problem

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been following this thread closely unfortunately I have no internet until tomorrow other than my phone but that's life. In researching your problem you really have no choice but to do a total restore back to factory state using iTunes. If you have music you wish to keep and or photos I can recommend a couple of solutions using third party apps for windows or macs that will copy those items. Same with address book. Then you can restore these items later. I have had to do this with 2 clients whom had no back up at all and were in trouble big time. I don't understand and also cannot find out why your iPad ended up with a password not initiated by you. If you have older backups in iTunes you can revert to an older one but frankly starting fresh seems only way out

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have been following this thread closely unfortunately I have no internet until tomorrow other than my phone but that's life. In researching your problem you really have no choice but to do a total restore back to factory state using iTunes. If you have music you wish to keep and or photos I can recommend a couple of solutions using third party apps for windows or macs that will copy those items. Same with address book. Then you can restore these items later. I have had to do this with 2 clients whom had no back up at all and were in trouble big time. I don't understand and also cannot find out why your iPad ended up with a password not initiated by you. If you have older backups in iTunes you can revert to an older one but frankly starting fresh seems only way out
Thanks, I already have my photo' sand music backed up, it also looks like I have the apps that are most important to me backed up in iCloud, however unless contacts are in iCloud, I can't remember? Then I should be ok. I am just worried that the RESTRICTION PASS CODE that showed up when I upgraded to IOS 6 may come back ( I didn't put it there, or restrict me from doing a total restore! It wouldn't even let me do a simple reset. At some point I may have to pay to actually call APPLE themselves to see what to do! Once I have read all the manuals and tutorials. One thing I would really like to know! Do we all upgrade our IOS at our own risk? APPLE has NO responsibility as to what might happen? If you could answer that I'd be very happy!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Apple and any computer manufacture are not responsible for loss of personal data. In saying that all Apps purchased can be down loaded at no cost to that user. Music and movies purchased are tricky as it may require an email to apple to reinstate any purchases you have. One always must be aware that an iPad, iPhone etc are portable computers thus it is important to back up any personal data at all times. If you use iCloud you can access iCloud from any computer www.iCloud.com. Enter your user name and password and you can see what is backed up. One can use other alternatives for other data like drop box which is a on line storage app. This is your choice.

I have just returned from Hong Kong and while their transferred our photos from our camera SDHC card to the iPad using Apotop wi-reader which is a wireless compact battery operated device. I also was able to upload to a USB stick copies of the Picts. I maintain you can never and I mean never have have enough backups. In all I used iTunes (wifi and direct to a MacBook 13) drop box, iCloud plus the Apotop DW 17. I also recommend to customers whom want a bigger storage the Seagate 1 TB or 500gb wifi mini battery HD drive. Ideal for storing anything you need when mobile

I personally was caught out a couple of months ago when I back up my iPad on my MacBook before a full restore and unknowingly did not realise I had run out of space on the hard drive. iTunes presented a message however maybe the wine I was drinking or lack of sleep I ignored it. So I lost a recent back up. Luckily I had back up over the air via iTunes 3 weeks earlier so all was good. Rule of thumb keep at least 100
Gb clear on any computer you use with iTunes.... If you have sensitive information back up regularly ... Hope that helps.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes Apple and any computer manufacture are not responsible for loss of personal data. In saying that all Apps purchased can be down loaded at no cost to that user. Music and movies purchased are tricky as it may require an email to apple to reinstate any purchases you have. One always must be aware that an iPad, iPhone etc are portable computers thus it is important to back up any personal data at all times. If you use iCloud you can access iCloud from any computer www.iCloud.com. Enter your user name and password and you can see what is backed up. One can use other alternatives for other data like drop box which is a on line storage app. This is your choice. I have just returned from Hong Kong and while their transferred our photos from our camera SDHCcard to the iPad using Apotop wi-reader which is a wireless compact battery operated device. I also was able to upload to a USB stick copies of the Picts. I maintain you can never and I mean never have have enough backups. In all I used drop box, iCloud plus the Apotop DW 17. I also recommend to customers whom want a bigger storage the Seagate 1 TB or 500gb wifi mini battery HD drive. Ideal for storing anything you need when mobile I personally was caught out when I back up my iPad on my MacBook before a full restore and unknowingly did not realise I had run out of space on the hard drive. iTunes presented a message however maybe the wine I was drinking or lack of sleep I ignored it. So I lost a recent back up. Luckily I had back up over the air via iTunes 3 weeks earlier so all was good. Rule of thumb keep at least 100 Gb clear on any computer you use with iTunes.... If you have sensitive information back up regularly ... Hope that helps.
You just reminded me! Drop box showed up after my last back up but iTunes won't let me do a back up because - I don't know why? The restriction code was in place when I did my last back up - but my simple pass code wasn't there yet. You are so right. I don't need iTunes to save my stuff!
What I was wondering about apple being responsible is not because of lost data - what if my iPad shuts me out completely because I don't have one of these codes? It threatened to do it once. If my iPad becomes useless because I upgraded THEN do they have any culpability? Or am I SOL and on my own? BTW Colin, I sure do appreciate your spending so much of your time helping me!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In your case I would go to an Apple store and see if they can assist. I have never had that issue but personally I believe all Apple needs is that you are the rightful owner. Providing to are backed up perform a full restore on your computer but do not sync as you will bring back the problem. This means you will need to transfer all your music and Apps from scratch but at least you get every thing back.... By the way your issue is rare. Majority of users have minimum issues with upgrading and that is a fact. Forums tend to have users whom are having problems bit if you really look at the numbers it is small.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In your case I would go to an Apple store and see if they can assist. I have never had that issue but personally I believe all Apple needs is that you are the rightful owner. Providing to are backed up perform a full restore on your computer but do not sync as you will bring back the problem. This means you will need to transfer all your music and Apps from scratch but at least you get every thing back.... By the way your issue is rare. Majority of users have minimum issues with upgrading and that is a fact. Forums tend to have users whom are having problems bit if you really look at the numbers it is small.
That is true. When I went to the APPLE community Support there were enough but not many people with this problem. The guy there to me st restore back to the IOS version I had before I had the problem? I have heard many people talking of restoring to an earlier version of IOS and yet this forum seems to think that is an unviable solution, that it is impossible to go back to an earlier version, do you also agree it is impossible to do that? Not that it would make a lot of difference to me since IOS 6 came out right after I bought my iPad so all the data I want to keep comes after that. Just curious. :) I'm always curious and it can get me in trouble :)

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I will look after weekend time for sleep and working next 2 days.
Thanks, another wealth of knowledge! HAPPYFEETDANCE !! Now that it is 7:00 AM I should try a get some sleep! A closet vampire. Shhh don't tell anyone! :)

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where can I get one of those red moving dots? :D

Oh there are ways and there are ways squib;) One way is to get a nice glass, then go get a bottle of a good Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon (what we in South Australia which makes the best wines in the world call a "good drop") Then fill that glass. Fill two or three more, well OK five, and Hey Presto you'll see those red moving dots;)
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh there are ways and there are ways squib;) One way is to get a nice glass, then go get a bottle of a good Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon (what we in South Australia which makes the best wines in the world call a "good drop") Then fill that glass. Fill two or three more, well OK five, and Hey Presto you'll see those red moving dots;) Andrew Sent from Oz using Tapatalk
Hey, I'm easy if I want to see dots! All I have to do is go for a little walk.....mine aren't colored though! Mine look like the black and white dots at then end of an old home movie! And the same thing happens to me! The end I mean. I drop like a rock! I wouldn't mind if I didn't keep injuring myself everytime I drop. Some times all I have to do is take three or four steps inside the house! But it sure would be fun doing it your way. YES! I ha YES I heard that your wines are the best! But BC is catching up.......TA da! :D

Most reactions