What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 releases October 12th as a free upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I turn off my virus protection?
They're all different. Most major programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.) have a control screen. If you open the application there should be a way to turn it off. If yo can't figure it out, a visit to their website is probably in order.

Or you could just buy a Mac. :D Sorry...couldn't resist!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
They're all different. Most major programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.) have a control screen. If you open the application there should be a way to turn it off. If yo can't figure it out, a visit to their website is probably in order.

Or you could just buy a Mac. :D Sorry...couldn't resist!

You don't know how much I cannot wait to buy a MAC!!! I got error messages regarding connectivity USBs and the like...

Sent from my Verizon 64GB Black iPad2 using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Rich,

My iPad 1 - (used, but new to me, first time owner/user) is expected to be delivered tomorrow, Thursday, October 13.

What about this 'back-up' you are referring to?

Once I get my iPad, I simply connect to my computer (yes have the newest iTunes installed, ready to go),
then if I understand correctly, iTunes will detect my iPad, and then offer the new OS - iOS 5 to me?

Back to my question: 'About backing up' - will this process (I Hope), be done completely automatically?

The seller I bought the iPad from, said that they were doing a factory reset (or is it called restore)?

Where does this 'back-up' file(s), going to be stored?

Thanks for the help so far,

Have a nice day,

Ed
Congrats on your new "baby"! The seller no doubt restored your new iPad to the factory settings.

Yes, when you connect your iPad to your computer, iTunes should open automatically. You should land on a "Summary" page. There you'll have the opportunity to set up your new iPad. Follow the various prompts to create an Apple account, etc. Don't worry about the upgrade (unless it offers it right away) until you have your Apple account, iPad, etc. all set up. Once that's done then you can click on the "Check for Update" button on the Summary page in iTunes and just follow the prompts.

The initial backup is stored in the iTunes program on your computer. After updating your iPad to the new iOS 5 software you'll be given the opportunity to create an iCloud account and back it up to iCloud...your choice.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW I've been attempting to move my Mobile Me account to iCloud and keep getting a "try again later" message. As others have said, Apple's servers are no doubt swamped right now so I think I'll take the dogs for a walk. :)

ELSELS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can always download from elsewhere. faster!!!!

Apple Releases iOS 5 [Direct Links]

Hello,

I am completely new to the World of Apple, and I have just bought a used (but new to me),
iPod Touch and an iPad, (delivery tomorrow, Weds. Oct. 13).

I thought we could not update/upgrade our device's OS to iOS 5, unless we were connected to iTunes?

How does one 'instruct' the device to use these direct downloads of the iOS 5 software?

Thanks!

Have a nice day,

Ed

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I am completely new to the World of Apple, and I have just bought a used (but new to me),
iPod Touch and an iPad, (delivery tomorrow, Weds. Oct. 13).

I thought we could not update/upgrade our device's OS to iOS 5, unless we were connected to iTunes?

How does one 'instruct' the device to use these direct downloads of the iOS 5 software?

Thanks!

Have a nice day,

Ed
He's referring to Mac applications, iTunes and such. There are two methods to update Mac computer applications, one is to use the built-in software update program on every Mac, the other is to download the full update to your computer from Apple and then install it. Some prefer the "clean/download" install is all.

This iOS update (iOS 5) for the iPod, iPad and iPhone has to be handled through iTunes as I mentioned in response to your earlier post. AFTER this however, updates of iOS devices can be handled wirelessly...without connecting to any computer (that's one of the new features).

Last edited:

p3unit32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
OK I am writing to you all LIVE from my iPad 2 IOS Version 5. Can't wait to use messaging on the iPad and iPhone!! My peeps aren't updated yet. I am the only true Apple enthusiast in the family lol!!! Besides they are at work and I am NOT.

Same thing with me.

Memphis_Raines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, I am typing this on a split keyboard! Took 5 hours to do iP4 and iPad 2 but well worth the effort, I guess we all picked the busiest possible time to update, but you can't wait can you....

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm just worried about the error messages and the fact that I cannot even update apps. So it seems that once update to IOS5 starts even though it can't complete it locking out the ability to update other apps. I'll keep trying and hopefully one of these attempts will slip through the window.

edmontongreg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 32gb iPod, I decided to do the upgrade on it first. It is slow. At 50 minutes now. It is on Restoring music and videos

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
p3unit32 said:
Same thing with me.

Glad I am not the only geek in the crowd lol.

emilysmom03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No issues with either my iPad 2 or my iPhone 4. I had both running iOS 5 in less then two hours. Sorry to those that have had a challenge today. Split keyboard on iPad 2 is awesome :))

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts