What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 releases October 12th as a free upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
richsadams said:
Will do. Haven't tried for a few hours...thought I'd let things settle down a bit.

When you go to the www.icloud.com page you enter your name and password there for mobile me. They have instructions on the apple website. But I think that's all you do.

When you go to the www.icloud.com page you enter your name and password there for mobile me. They have instructions on the apple website. But I think that's all you do.
Oh, got way beyond that...it was at the point of initializing the actual transfer of data that the "try again later" message came up. Their servers are just getting hammered right now. I'm actually being bad and updating a bunch of apps on my iPad...contributing to the problem as it were. ;)

Oh yes I am sure, after 5 on the west coast so you have the whole USA downloading now. Best of luck I got my iPad upgraded this morning. Wow very nice job.

Forget mobile me that is dead and yes iCloud is free. Welcome and enjoy when everything works. It is starry stepping away from the pc for the first week. Will help you more on that but get the iCloud installed and this update done first.

Hello,

I also have recently (about 1 week - to 1½ weeks ago) - a used (but again, new to me), MacBook Pro laptop.

I upgraded it to Mac OS-X Lion, and just ran Software update, grabbed many updates.

Rebooted, and immediately up on the desktop, pops the Welcome to iCloud, (sign in windows).

I didn't really even (not yet anyways), KNOW what iCloud is, or does, and was it FREE or not.?

Therefore, I choose cancel, but imagine as you now suggest, (seeing it must be installed), sign in?

But, as you said update, update what? ;)

Thanks for all your help...

I have an iPod Touch,justsreceivedd it in the mail yesterday, BUT, haven't done much with it yet.
The seller said they reset (restored) it, so I was going to consider upgrading it to iOS 5 tonight, because
I am waiting for my (used) iPad arriving tomorrow, in the mail.. YIPPEEE...

I figured the iPod would be a great 'testing out the waters' for me, before attempting the 'ole iPad..

All these new toys and don't know how to use hardly any of them - DUH! LOL :D - But, I'm willing and ready to learn.

Thanks!

Ed

Just did my iPhone first, now on ios5 but all my apps are gone. I thought I did it all right. Have done backup, but only music and photos are backing up. My apps are in iTunes, what do I do to get them back on my phone. I need help, thank you

Not sure the educate in the forums but if you need an email so I can help you faster of via FaceTime let me know. With FaceTime can give you speedy help. I am disabled so I am home 24 / 7. Anyway keep it up the Mac is decently the better. I still have 1 windows pc and my iMac runs windows so I can play Lord of the Rings online.

Oh, got way beyond that...it was at the point of initializing the actual transfer of data that the "try again later" message came up. Their servers are just getting hammered right now. I'm actually being bad and updating a bunch of apps on my iPad...contributing to the problem as it were. ;)

Hello,

So, is this MobileMe (now replaced by iCloud), somewhat of an Apple Server 'storage' hard drive, saving all your and millions of others data?

Sorry, if I am not quite understanding it, I was thinking that the iCloud, stores APPS I buy from the Apple APPS Store, so I can retrieve them later..?

So much to learn.

Guess as I learn it I might be: consider more " iCool "... :p

I might plug in my iPod Touch, JUST to see what happens...?

So why are we required to sign in to iCloud? Just curious, - and yes I did create an account, that's how I downloaded and installed Lion.

One advantage (or disadvantage), I have is, being brand new to Apple devices, I haven't acquired and accumulated GB's amounts of data to transfer..

Thanks!

Ed

Hello,

I also have recently (about 1 week - to 1½ weeks ago) - a used (but again, new to me), MacBook Pro laptop.

I upgraded it to Mac OS-X Lion, and just ran Software update, grabbed many updates.

Rebooted, and immediately up on the desktop, pops the Welcome to iCloud, (sign in windows).

I didn't really even (not yet anyways), KNOW what iCloud is, or does, and was it FREE or not.?

Therefore, I choose cancel, but imagine as you now suggest, (seeing it must be installed), sign in?

But, as you said update, update what? ;)

Thanks for all your help...

I have an iPod Touch,justsreceivedd it in the mail yesterday, BUT, haven't done much with it yet.
The seller said they reset (restored) it, so I was going to consider upgrading it to iOS 5 tonight, because
I am waiting for my (used) iPad arriving tomorrow, in the mail.. YIPPEEE...

I figured the iPod would be a great 'testing out the waters' for me, before attempting the 'ole iPad..

All these new toys and don't know how to use hardly any of them - DUH! LOL :D - But, I'm willing and ready to learn.

Thanks!

Ed
The iCloud prompt comes with the Lion 10.7.2 update. You can sign up for iCloud any time. 5GB of storage plus anything you buy from iTunes is free. Additional space can be purchased for an annual payment.

More here:

Apple - iCloud - Your content. On all your devices.

Just did my iPhone first, now on ios5 but all my apps are gone. I thought I did it all right. Have done backup, but only music and photos are backing up. My apps are in iTunes, what do I do to get them back on my phone. I need help, thank you
Try connecting and syncing again. Make sure the apps you want are checked.

Hello,

So, is this MobileMe (now replaced by iCloud), somewhat of an Apple Server 'storage' hard drive, saving all your and millions of others data?

Sorry, if I am not quite understanding it, I was thinking that the iCloud, stores APPS I buy from the Apple APPS Store, so I can retrieve them later..?

So much to learn.

Guess as I learn it I might be: consider more " iCool "... :p

I might plug in my iPod Touch, JUST to see what happens...?

So why are we required to sign in to iCloud? Just curious, - and yes I did create an account, that's how I downloaded and installed Lion.

One advantage (or disadvantage), I have is, being brand new to Apple devices, I haven't acquired and accumulated GB's amounts of data to transfer..

Thanks!

Ed
Mobile Me is/was the predecessor to iCloud, data storage including music, photos, documents, etc. on Apple's servers. A few Mobile Me features were not carried over to iCloud, but iCloud offers other, more robust features. I'd imagine a lot of people are in transition right now...although there's no rush as Mobile Me will continue to operate through June 30, 2012.

As with any account, you'd want your data to be secure so setting up Apple and/or iCloud accounts that require you to sign in is for your security. Again, you don't have to open an iCloud account if you don't feel it would be beneficial.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but support here and elsewhere is enormous, not to mention Apple products being fairly intuitive. The payoff is being able to use the best hardware and software on the planet...so it's ultimately well worth it. :)

The iCloud prompt comes with the Lion 10.7.2 update. You can sign up for iCloud any time. 5GB of storage plus anything you buy from iTunes is free. Additional space can be purchased for an annual payment.

More here:

Apple - iCloud - Your content. On all your devices.

Hello,

Ok, then, I will definitely need to read and decipher the iCloud program and how it works..

Sounds like a FTP sort of space, 5 GB Free and the APPS I buy from iTunes are stored there..? Hummm...sounds interesting.. :)

Also, another really short this time, question:

I have limited experience using my MacBook Pro, running Lion.

I am typing these messages, on my Windows Vista PC.

Question?:

Which computer system, would you advise I connect my iPod Touch up to, to upgrade to iOS 5?

I want to do this tonight (EST-NY 9:36 p.m. for me right now)... Like to join the crowds.... :thumbs:

Sounds like probably the Apple system all the way..?

Please post your suggestions...?

BTW - This is a cool, fantastic forum, so glad I joined today..!

Thanks!

Ed

Hello,

Ok, then, I will definitely need to read and decipher the iCloud program and how it works..

Sounds like a FTP sort of space, 5 GB Free and the APPS I buy from iTunes are stored there..? Hummm...sounds interesting.. :)

Also, another really short this time, question:

I have limited experience using my MacBook Pro, running Lion.

I am typing these messages, on my Windows Vista PC.

Question?:

Which computer system, would you advise I connect my iPod Touch up to, to upgrade to iOS 5?

I want to do this tonight (EST-NY 9:36 p.m. for me right now)... Like to join the crowds.... :thumbs:

Sounds like probably the Apple system all the way..?

Please post your suggestions...?

BTW - This is a cool, fantastic forum, so glad I joined today..!

Thanks!

Ed
Apple products work seamlessly together. If you want it to "just work" and take the smoothest path to upgrading or pretty much anything else in the future, my recommendation is to go with Apple all the way. It's not perfect, but it's as close as you're going to get today and long into the future...IMHO of course. :)

Finally! Started the process at 1:30pm CST and finally did a successful restore at 8:00pm CST. Woo-hoo, now to figure it all out so I can update the wifes iPad. Thanks for the support.

Apple products work seamlessly together. If you want it to "just work" and take the smoothest path to upgrading or pretty much anything else in the future, my recommendation is to go with Apple all the way. It's not perfect, but it's as close as you're going to get today and long into the future...IMHO of course. :)

Hi,

Yeah, the more I use the MacBook Pro laptop, I notice, it just works! I like it...

It's going to take me awhile, a long time maybe even, to 'understand the differences to the way things work...

The right-mouse button click is a trick for me so far to master how to work around, from how I've done for years...!

Well, I think it is about time - Ready, Set, and Go ! - Connecting my iPod Touch to the MacBook Pro... (Yikes)!

Nervous, but, I want to learn, so here I go.......... ;) ... 1, 2, ... 3....

(SURELY, I will be back with many questions..)

Thanks!

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back