What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS5 Jailbreak Strategy Guide

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I guess it's safe to update?

Only confirmed on A4 chips at the moment correct?

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I guess it's safe to update?

Only confirmed on A4 chips at the moment correct?

Definitely safe on A4 (well, as safe as trusting a dev team / jailbreaker). Not verifiably safe on A5 as he doesn't have one to test it on. I have to imagine if this is legit we'll know soon. Hopefully before Apple moves.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
General rule of thumb is to never update until the JB is officially released.

That's a good rule. You know, I wouldn't even care except the off chance it would help my iPhone battery. My iPad is just fine, 5.0 is surprisingly unbuggy.

Update: New version of iTunes...firmware inbound?

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good rule. You know, I wouldn't even care except the off chance it would help my iPhone battery. My iPad is just fine, 5.0 is surprisingly unbuggy.

Update: New version of iTunes...firmware inbound?

In January. But the new version of iTunes was to fix iTunes match issues, not anything firmware update related.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple released a new version of 5.0.1 for iPhone 4S. Which is odd. Supposedly it makes hacking Siri much easier but no one can say what else, at least that I've heard.

manic9803

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guthrien said:
Apple released a new version of 5.0.1 for iPhone 4S. Which is odd. Supposedly it makes hacking Siri much easier but no one can say what else, at least that I've heard.

From what I've seen the new update allows iPhone 4 users to legally port siri without copyright infringements. Then again that's just the surface who knows what else was patched.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score

For some reason, the ram disks are unencrypted. Which is weird.
But it makes Siri legal to port to older devices.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It makes it legal to port but I think accessing Apples servers or hiding the device description so the servers think it's a 4S will still be illegal. I would think it would be a violation of licensing... wouldn't it? It also seems odd that Apple left the ram disks unencrypted... almost hoping they would do it so they could bust them somehow... just seems weird.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
graywolf said:
I was thinking the same thing. Apple is all about security and secrecy.
Tim Cook and Steve Jobs are two different people, so its expected that the company would somewhat be run differently

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It apparently was to solve an error message that some users were getting with their iPhone. Oh how I would love to believe it was about Tim Cook's new reign of openness.

Waiting to hear whether this jailbreak works on A5 devices is killing me. If you were his friend wouldn't you shove your iPad 2 into his hand and say, "does this work?!" You'll be loved and respected by people worldwide until the next iDevices come out, but not a word.

Update: he says he's working on the iPhone 4S this weekend, so hope reigns supreme.

Last edited:

Most reactions